Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
D Rabbit

Waterbury or New Milford, CT - Northeast Meetup

I know this is somewhat of a short time frame but I will be free to meet up with some people the 15th (anytime) or 16th (Lunch) to throw back a few pints, talk beer and/or sports, and just hang out.

Steve (BLM), I know we sent back and forth a few messages about this last week. If you are able to meet up than we can definitely put something together for dinner and brews on tuesday night somewhere between us. Let me know. I'd be willing to travel a little further than half way too if you know of a good play to eat and grab some good beer. Maybe the Hatman would be close enough to meet up with us.

Let me know!

D Rabbit wrote:

I know this is somewhat of a short time frame but I will be free to meet up with some people the 15th (anytime) or 16th (Lunch) to throw back a few pints, talk beer and/or sports, and just hang out.

Steve (BLM), I know we sent back and forth a few messages about this last week. If you are able to meet up than we can definitely put something together for dinner and brews on tuesday night somewhere between us. Let me know. I'd be willing to travel a little further than half way too if you know of a good play to eat and grab some good beer. Maybe the Hatman would be close enough to meet up with us.

Let me know!

The entire northeast? Now I feel guilty that I proposed the Wasatch Front instead of the Intermountain West.

lol

The northeast can be pretty close together in some areas. Granted I'm not meeting someone from Maine and driving 3-4 hours one way. But I'm sure there are plenty of us up here in the Northeast that can meet up and probably only drive an hour to hour and a half each way. I think Steve and myself are only an hour and a half away total, so driving 45 minutes to an hour isn't much of a problem for me.

I need you to narrow down "Northeast" a bit. I live in North Jersey and I believe BLM is in that general region too. Where did you have in mind as a meeting place?

InsaneDragun wrote:

I need you to narrow down "Northeast" a bit. I live in North Jersey and I believe BLM is in that general region too. Where did you have in mind as a meeting place?

Maybe Waterbury or New Milford, CT

What the hell. I go away for a couple of days & now we have a new thread? It's like the dating game here. :laugh:
D Rabbit - I'm good for Waterbury, but I wish you & Insane & Losman, could come to Capt Lawrence In Pleasantville NY (I can give you the 5 cent tour). Cat Lawrence has FREE BEER every Friday 4-7pm & Saturdays 12-6. We could do a Saturday afternoon. Would be very cool. :sombrero:
Either way I will meet anywhere anytime pretty much. Cheers. Cheers_From_the_GABF-20111105.JPG

Beerlabelman wrote:

What the hell. I go away for a couple of days & now we have a new thread? It's like the dating game here. :laugh:
D Rabbit - I'm good for Waterbury, but I wish you & Insane & Losman, could come to Capt Lawrence In Pleasantville NY (I can give you the 5 cent tour). Cat Lawrence has FREE BEER every Friday 4-7pm & Saturdays 12-6. We could do a Saturday afternoon. Would be very cool. :sombrero:
Either way I will meet anywhere anytime pretty much. Cheers. Cheers_From_the_GABF-20111105.JPG

Pleasantville is extremely close for me, and I've always liked Capt. Lawrence. I've only been to Pleasantville once, and went to this bar right across the street from the police station. I can't do Thursday, Friday, SAt. because of work. I might be able to do something during the week though.

OK Losman than Capt Lawrence is out. My next suggestion is Bridge view Tavern in Sleepy Hollow NY - On Beekman St off route 9 . Excellent beer & food. One of my favorite hangs. We'll be able to sample our beers there too. As long as we're ordering food & beer. I'm friends with the owner. Plenty of free parking, close to train station. others should be able to hit this location. Fedora Dave, Insane dragon, possibly D Rabbit, & Tabasco. Let's go! :party: Nice_Beer_Quote.JPG

Beerlabelman wrote:

OK Losman than Capt Lawrence is out. My next suggestion is Bridge view Tavern in Sleepy Hollow NY - On Beekman St off route 9 . Excellent beer & food. One of my favorite hangs. We'll be able to sample our beers there too. As long as we're ordering food & beer. I'm friends with the owner. Plenty of free parking, close to train station. others should be able to hit this location. Fedora Dave, Insane dragon, possibly D Rabbit, & Tabasco. Let's go! :party: Nice_Beer_Quote.JPG

What day are you thinking?

the 15th more than likely would work for me. There's a small chance I might have to work, because I'm going away for a week on the 19th.

Even though Pleasantville and Sleepy Hollow are very close to me, I can't really do anything during the week. I have some very early days in the middle of the week, where I have to be out of the house by 5:30 am.

A Saturday evening is quite possible, though, as long as the fam doesn't have any specific plans.

I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

D Rabbit wrote:

The only times I can make it are dates listed above for. But I would be up for a trip.

Well D Rabbit From Granby CT to Bridgeview Tavern would be a 2 hour trip, but just for the mussels it would be worth it. The 15th of November would be good for Losman, but FD is out. Let me know what you think. :cheers:

FedoraDave wrote:

Even though Pleasantville and Sleepy Hollow are very close to me, I can't really do anything during the week. I have some very early days in the middle of the week, where I have to be out of the house by 5:30 am.

A Saturday evening is quite possible, though, as long as the fam doesn't have any specific plans.

I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

I hope you'd reconsider the 15th at Bridgeview Tavern. Less than an hour from your house. Not expensive. The mussels are the best. :chow:
We'll go early & you can take off whenever you want. You'll be in bed by 10PM :barman:
As for a Saturday, name your day. Meet in the afternoon for some free Capt Lawrence then onto Bridgview. :cheers:

More than likely I can make it, but there's a slim chance they might schedule me to work that night. I'm definitely in, if I don't have to work.

Losman, where are you in CT? I thought you weren't too far from me in Granby.

I'm not sure I want to make a 2 hour drive both ways. I was hoping a middle ground somewhere. I'll keep it in the back of my mind though and see how things play out getting closer.

There are several Brew Pubs that have opened up recently in my area. I have to check them out. They are in Manchester, CT.

But if we meet up early enough than I might still be in line for it. We could possibly meet up for around 5-6 and I'll still be home by midnight after some drinks and food. I think I would still be down for it. Be down for it definitely if it was 30-40 minutes closer.... lol

D Rabbit wrote:

Losman, where are you in CT? I thought you weren't too far from me in Granby.

I'm not sure I want to make a 2 hour drive both ways. I was hoping a middle ground somewhere. I'll keep it in the back of my mind though and see how things play out getting closer.

There are several Brew Pubs that have opened up recently in my area. I have to check them out. They are in Manchester, CT.

I'm in Greenwich. It looks like it's about an hour and 45 min.

Greenwich is close to me. D Rabbit is farthest. I'll go north too.
Another good early meeting place you guys would love is DeCicco's Market in Brewster NY just off 84 at Route 312. They close at 8:00PM so it would be best to get there by 4PM. Awesome beers on tap plus you can fill a growler & check out their huge beer selection for take home. Brick oven pizza, sushi, anything you want, serve yourself & bring it into the bar. We can sample our home brews there too.
12 Taps - Pic Attached - Let me know what you think of this idea. :)Taps_At_DeCiccos-20111110.JPG

I'd definitely be more willing to meet up there. Nice that we can bring our own brews in to sample as well! I vote for there!

I'm down with anywhere. I'll know my schedule for next week tonight. Another place that has a ton of good beers is the Lazy Lounge in White Plains which is connected to the Black Bear. I'm guessing that it's too far for some of you.

The place in Brewster sounds great.

Sorry I won't be able to make it. It sounds like it will be a great time.

Maybe we could arrange another one of these for a Saturday evening. Honestly, with my schedule, that's the only time I can reliably say I could make it.

Hi Fellas. OK so FD is out but Losman, D Rabbit & BLM are in for DeCicco's this Tuesday the 15th by 4:00pm. Note if we can go on Wednesday it's Tap Takeover with Sixpoint Brewing. But Tuesday will be fine.
I was up there last night to fill a growler of Ithaca Flower Power. I also had a glass of Great Divide Baltic Porter, & a Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Northern Hemisphere Harvest. Both were delicious. They also had Dogfish 60 on tap & many others. One of the guys who works there had his own Home Brewed Sour ale on tap which everyone was tasting & that was good too. I'll bring My Monkey Dog Brew. :laugh:
We can all bring a bottle or 2 of homebrew to try there. I'm not sure that's OK at the Lazy Boy even though that's a great place too. You guys got my e-mail below so contact me. Cheers The_Monkeys_Got_My_Dog_2-20111112.JPG

Making me wish I was still in CT. I grew up in West Redding.... Moved out a long long time ago, and been many places, still consider it home though.

losman26 wrote:

Are you guys still down with the plan?

Yes losman, I'm in - I'll be there by 4PM. I'm sending you a PM with my cell number so you can call if you can't make it. Haven't heard from D Rabbit. Cheers. :cheers:

Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow. Have a mixer for both of you. Here is what to expect. 2 - Kings Porter, 2 - Irish Red Gold, 1 - Great Black Hole Imperial Stout that's been bottled since February and 1 - Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale that won't be ready till Thanksgiving time. See you guys tomorrow.

D Rabbit wrote:

Looking forward to meeting up tomorrow. Have a mixer for both of you. Here is what to expect. 2 - Kings Porter, 2 - Irish Red Gold, 1 - Great Black Hole Imperial Stout that's been bottled since February and 1 - Pumpkin Pie Spice Ale that won't be ready till Thanksgiving time. See you guys tomorrow.

OMG - Sounds awesome :woohoo: - I'll PM you with my cell number. :chug: 40488-20111114.jpg

D Rabbit, John Harvard's in manchester closed and Tully Cross opened in it's place. Only heard OK reviews. If you want some award winning brews, the Willimantic Brew Pub in Willimantic is a great place. the owners of the Cambridge House can vouch for them. It's in an old post office, great atmosphere in the bar and the restaurant has some pretty good food. Friends of mine were just at the Cambridge House for a beer competition and they took third for an Octoberfest. Any chance you were there?

Willimantic is on my list too.
Check out beermenus.com to see what's on tap at DeCicco's. Couple of highlights for tomorrow. :barman:
Captain Lawrence Kolsch & Liquid Gold
Sixpoint 90211 Porter, Gemini IPA, Vienna Pale Ale :banana:
Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale
Laughing Dog Alpha Dog
Petrus Aged Pale & more.
We better get a pizza too. :chow:

90% chance I will be there. I don't have any samples ready yet, but will bring a book for you guys to check out that has a ton of really good clone recipes.

mtsoxfan wrote:

D Rabbit, John Harvard's in manchester closed and Tully Cross opened in it's place. Only heard OK reviews. If you want some award winning brews, the Willimantic Brew Pub in Willimantic is a great place. the owners of the Cambridge House can vouch for them. It's in an old post office, great atmosphere in the bar and the restaurant has some pretty good food. Friends of mine were just at the Cambridge House for a beer competition and they took third for an Octoberfest. Any chance you were there?

Congrats to your friend. I personally didn't do well but it doesn't bother me. I think the competition was poorly run. Here's the results. ctbeertrail.net/profiles/blogs/ct-beer-t...ome-brew-competition

I ranted about it in the no post post thread.

I don't care much for the Cambridge House Brews. Drank a Dunkel there yesterday that tasted like a straight up Belgian. Poor example of a Dunkel. I've never been too impressed with there beers. I enjoy a lot of there taps from other places. Hooker had a great Irish Red on tap there. Haven't made it to Tullys yet but I may go next week for the giants game.

good times tonight meeting up with steve and carlos, aka beerlabelman and losman. Was a fun night of BEing and drinking some tasty beers. post some beer pictures a little later.

First Mug Meeting complete. I can't believe you got home already D Rabbit.
For everybody out there D Rabbit is a master brewer. His beers are 5 Star. The only problem is he has no labels. :P He gave me a six pack & I don't even know what I got. Only initials on the cap. :laugh:
It doesn't matter though as his beers are stellar. :woohoo:
Losman is a classic guitarist & a real cool guy. He didn't bring any brews to sample so his brewer's status has yet to be determined. :laugh:
Anyway it was great to meet guys from this site. Cheers Beer Brothers! :cheers: image_2088-20111115.jpg

Hope this helps.... RP is robust porter aka kings porter, IR is Irish red, Imo S is the imperial stout, PS is pumpkin spice.

OK DR I got it. Next time you're in a competition let me blast out a few labels for the bottles that go to the judges & you will win. We could use this one for your Porter with a few minor revisions. :barman: Irene_Porter-20111115.JPG

Here's what was in my Monkey Dog IPA:
2 Cans AD IPA
3/4lb Amber DME
1/2 Cup Belgian Blonde Sugar
1 oz Nelson Sauvin Hops broken into thirds 16 minutes, 5 minutes, & DH after the first 7 days ( So the DH lasted 14 days) The_Monkeys_Got_My_Dog_2-20111115.JPG

Great meeting up with you guys. I really enjoyed the beers we sampled, as well as the conversions. I hope we can do this again soon. Next time I will have some samples ready to try. Most of mine are either fermenting or conditioning. D Rabbit, I'm enjoying your Porter beer as we speak. It is simply amazing! Thanks again!

D Rabbit wrote:

good times tonight meeting up with steve and carlos, aka beerlabelman and losman. Was a fun night of BEing and drinking some tasty beers. post some beer pictures a little later.

Did you coordinate it with Mr Beer? IIRC, in the post that started this category, they said they'd supply some goodies for meetups.

Beerlabelman wrote:

Yo Carlos! I'm having one of D Rabbit's Irish Red Ales. Pretty, pretty, good. Here's a label for D Rabbits Red. Hot_Carls_Irish_Red_Ale-20111115.JPG

That is killer. The porter was so damn good, that i'm drinking the Irish red right now. I'm going to try my best to save the remaining bottles, but damn they are awesome.

bpgreen wrote:

D Rabbit wrote:

Did you coordinate it with Mr Beer? IIRC, in the post that started this category, they said they'd supply some goodies for meetups.

BP no we didn't. We just met up within 10 days. No problem though as we were able to share our beers (I hope they liked mine), pizza with pepperoni & ground beef (D Rabbit Special), & some great brews on tap too. Then we went shopping in the beer section at DeCicco's & these guys were happy as hell.
Losman - D Rabbit is a Master Brewer & a fun guy.
Your beer looks awesome. Can't wait to sample at DeCicco's.
Got to come up with a label for your porter. Cheers

Beerlabelman wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

D Rabbit wrote:

BP no we didn't. We just met up within 10 days. No problem though as we were able to share our beers (I hope they liked mine), pizza with pepperoni & ground beef (D Rabbit Special), & some great brews on tap too. Then we went shopping in the beer section at DeCicco's & these guys were happy as hell.
Losman - D Rabbit is a Master Brewer & a fun guy.
Your beer looks awesome. Can't wait to sample at DeCicco's.
Got to come up with a label for your porter. Cheers

Sounds like a success. Swag from Mr Beer would have been a plus, but the beer sharing and camaraderie are the high points.

Too bad this didn't happen a year and a half ago (maybe two years ago, I forget) when I was on a project in Springfield, MA.

Not to worry BP. We'll meet up somewhere. I'm not sure where you are. E-mail or PM me & we'll see where our paths might cross. :barman:

Beerlabelman wrote:

Not to worry BP. We'll meet up somewhere. I'm not sure where you are. E-mail or PM me & we'll see where our paths might cross. :barman:

I'm in Utah, but I travel for work on a somewhat regular basis. I used to fly every week, but as companies have gotten more comfortable with remote work (and as it has become more feasible), I've been doing more work from home (I've only flown 3 or 4 times this year).

My next trip is to downtown Boston. If things go smoothly, I'll have a lot of time on my hands. If they go poorly, I'll barely get to the hotel for a few hours sleep at night. Unfortunately, there's no way to know in advance.

Definitely was fun. Enjoyed Steve's IPA as much as a non hop head would. I will say those hops are interesting as I've never tasted anything quite like it.

Looking forward to trying that smoked porter Carlos.

BP....let me know the dates your in Boston. I've already met Ken there once. Willing to meet another fellow Mr. Beer guy there. I can plan a day off for that time frame and we can figure something out. I enjoy the Sam Adams brewery and the pub down the road from it.

D Rabbit wrote:

Definitely was fun. Enjoyed Steve's IPA as much as a non hop head would. I will say those hops are interesting as I've never tasted anything quite like it.

Looking forward to trying that smoked porter Carlos.

BP....let me know the dates your in Boston. I've already met Ken there once. Willing to meet another fellow Mr. Beer guy there. I can plan a day off for that time frame and we can figure something out. I enjoy the Sam Adams brewery and the pub down the road from it.

I'll be in Boston from the 29th (sometime in the evening) through the 6th (early afternoon).

I'm trying to connect with some relatives (2 brothers and their spouses and a nephew and his spouse). If things go smoothly, I'll have some time to connect. Unfortunately, I won't know in advance whether things will go smoothly and I might be in a situation where I'm at the office from early AM until I can't stay awake, then return the next day as early as possible. Granby to downtown Boston is a bit of a haul, so I think logistics would be tough.

Another Brew Night At DeCicco's Brewster NY - Coney Island & Hebrew Breweries will be taking over the taps (All 12) from 5-8PM Nov.30th
I'll be there. Cheers. :gulp:

I'll probably meet you up there again but it won't be until January or February when my wife travels for work. I'll try to work it out to be on a time they have a tap takeover or a free beer night.

I'd love to meet up with you guys, but it'll have to be a Saturday. Weeknights just don't work for me, and Friday night is Bowling League.

FedoraDave wrote:

I'd love to meet up with you guys, but it'll have to be a Saturday. Weeknights just don't work for me, and Friday night is Bowling League.

Y'all are making me homesick. I was born in Waterbury, and raised in Prospect, about 3 miles from there.

I can't wait for the next meeting. Dave, if you let me know ahead of time, I can get Saturday off of work. I'll have some samples ready by Jan/Feb.

Let's shoot for Jan 14th or 21st at DeCicco's Brewster NY again as they are OK with us bringing in homebrew to share. Meet at 4:00PM & we'll get some food - all good. I just picked up 2 growlers there of Green Flash IPA on Friday. I killed one, but still holding onto my 2nd one. Such a rare brew to find on tap here on the east coast. It's over 100 IBU's :silly: :cheers:

I would be better the week after the 21st. my wife leaves for travel for business on the 22nd through the 27th. I'm good for any night that week except for on wednesday night.

Make him take you to Table and Vine. And while you're there, if you use flippies, stop at the counter where you return bottles. They have hundreds of Grolsch bottles and they sometimes have amber flippies. They'll sell them for the cost of the deposit.

Finally got a chance to drink your beer Steve. Its pretty good. Still seems a little sweet but I'm sure that would condition out with a little longer shelf life, which this one won't ever get :)

Any chance for a meet-up between Christmas and New Years?

I'm off that week, so any afternoon/night could be a possibility.

FedoraDave wrote:

Not for me. Doing a sking trip for a couple nights that week. Never skied before so should be interesting.

D Rabbit wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Not for me. Doing a sking trip for a couple nights that week. Never skied before so should be interesting.

Have fun, and come back in one piece.

I've never skied before, either, and if I ever went on a skiing trip, I still would never have skied when it was over! :lol:

January 27th at DeCicco's is Ithaca Brewing Tap takeover 5-8pm plus it's my birthday. How's that sound?
Dave if you're free after Christmas, let me take you to Capt Lawrence on 12/30 or DeCicco's or Bridge View Tavern. Your choice.
Just got back from Capt Lawrence & now I'm drinking my Green Flash IPA. God this beer is the best. :drinking: Santaa_Specail_Elf_Ale-20111216.JPG

Yes - D Rabbit, Me, & Losman Shared some brews & it was fun. 2 weeks ago I met Losman "Carlos" at Craftsman Ale House in Harrison NY & we traded home brews & had a couple of great brews at the bar.
This bar is a hidden gem, so if you're in the area & want great brew please stop by.
Cheers :cheers:

Are you guy's still meeting up? I just read the thread, I'm not far from Brewster about 45-50 minutes.

I'm at DeCicco's Brewster at least once a week. Homebrew Club every third Thursday - Free - Share Home Brew - Get Feedback - Fun events. Stop by tomorrow night (6:30-8:00), tell them Steve sent you. I might not make it. Ask for Nate & John. 12 Tap beer bar in the food store. It's the best! We're called "Hop'd" Home Brewers of Danbury Putnam. :drinking:

Thank's for the invite! It's difficult for me to get out during the week, Weekends I have more free time. Work a second job 3 nights during the week and the wife works 2 late nights, this makes it very difficult when you have a 9 year old also.
Was interested in knowing if you guy's did get to hang out on a semi regular basis, just thought it would be neat to hangout every once in awhile.
I'm extremely new to the home brew world, trying to gather as much knowledge as possible.

Well we're going to have a home brew day & a home brew contest at DeCicco's in June/July. So check them out on their website & facebook. Or you can contact me here or my e-mail address sci-22@msn.com.
See you soon. :cheers:

I'm going to try and get something ready for this one. Is it a brew anything contest or is there a specific style you have to do? Can you do extract brewing?