Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christ872

DC/Maryland/Virginia

Yep...I have it. I've got one batch bottled and one still in the can.

Okay, cool. So I won't bring that since BugLaden's bringing that. Good...helps my figure out what I'll bring

Jacylrin wrote:

Jacylrin is out. I'll be in NYC for a funeral.

3 deaths in a week, 4 within a month. Other than the birth of my niece, the last month is fired.

Jacylrin - I'm sorry to hear about this. I was hoping to meet you in person. Hopefully, you will be at the next get together.

John

All I have right now that is finally mellowing out a bit, silly me I used two oz. instead of one oz of hops is the 1776 Ale. Everything else is either carbonating, conditioning(mead) or fermenting (beer and Mead), though I wouldn't mind the constructive criticism on the 1776 since that was only my second batch of beer.

Doc~

Sounds cool. The 1776. If you'd like to bring that. I've never made that. So I have no idea. Certainly interesting. I can always let it sit on the shelf a week or two before popping it open. That's probably not a problem whatsoever. Just remind me/us on Saturday.

+/-1

MD/Va crue, I may not be there, but hope to meet you all in near fewtch.
I get my boyz ev othr weekend and this is the one.
Not sure what is up with Dad duty...

one way or anthr, will drink a good beer in all your names!

:chug:

Doc, the extra ounce will add only more aroma. It won't add bitterness or flavor, so no worries about it messing up the batch. It will only smell hoppier.

ugh doesn't look like i can attend this one, just found out i have to assist with software/server upgrades for my company over the weekend. i'll be working tomorrow night and sunday night as well :(

One of the people that was supposed to help with it is in the hospital with one of his family members, so i have to cover for him.

i will have to make it out to the next one, really sorry guys.

And here i was hoping to have a brew day on sunday bah

Nick

Oh believe me it's drinkable, and like most recipes, it gets better with age. The ones I'm waiting for, ( which should be at least ready to open first bottle) will be ready on St. Patty's day! But i'll bring a couple of bottles along of the 1776, those are in swing tops and well carbonated, just got to figure out the head retention.

Hey Christ872/Docniel/BugLaden - We had a great time tonight with you all at the Mad Fox Brewery! I'll post the pics I took. Thanks for the brew exchange. Can't wait to schedule another get together!

John :silly:

hilkertj wrote:

Hey Christ872/Docniel/BugLaden - We had a great time tonight with you all at the Mad Fox Brewery! I'll post the pics I took. Thanks for the brew exchange. Can't wait to schedule another get together!

John :silly:

Agreed!! Thanks to everyone. I had a great time and it's always fun to talk the hobby with people who enjoy it...especially face-to-face. It looked like the wives enjoyed themselves. I'm really happy to see everyone enjoy themselves. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to attend and enjoy.

I'll look forward to another one with you all.

Thanks. B)

BugLaden's suggest about a collaboration...I would like to if you guys would care to pitch ideas. I have a lot on my brewing plate. Starting with that Weizen tomorrow when I wake up.

+1 here, great time and always enjoyable meeting up with those of like mind. Sure i'd be more than willing to help with a collaboration. :cheers:

Here are some pics from the DC/MD/VA get together at the Mad Fox Brewery:

MFB___Christ872_Docniel.jpg

MFG___BugLaden_Ed_and_Holly.jpg

Hay Crue!
I drank a few to ya last nite.
Had to do taxi service for my boyz.

I would like to do a extract /steeping / hopping collab.

doin the seasonal today, now that the sun is headin down.

Maybe we can get the collab going in mid april so we have time to fit it in for early summer meet -ups...

and maybe each of us do one part of recipe diffeernt, yeast or hops.

:silly:

Sounds good to me. If we're looking at summer time for the next meet up may I suggest an IPA, or a Belgian?

It was sublime meeting all of you. Holly and I had a great time. John (Hilkertj) and his wife Marcy stayed after with Holly and I and shared more brew stories and imbibed too much beer.

I've posted a more public announcement about our meetup, with additional pics HERE

I definitely hope I can make it to MUG gathering next time, but meanwhile if anyone wants to do lunch or something, let me know.

This coming weekend is not good for me (3/17 & 3/18) but I have the weekend open for 03/24 & 3/25)

======

Who's going to take the lead on the next one. Want to get a timeframe in mind so that I'll have a beer or two available for that one.

======

Doc, John, Ed~

Please let me know what you think of the beers I handed out. Any advice or critique or whatever is appreciated.

Really cool meeting with everyone.

Chris,

Putting the Buckwheat in the fridge tonight. Will let it sit for a few days. I'll get back to you on it towards the end of the week! Is the other one conditioned enough to try as well? I forgot the specifics.

Ed~

Which one?

I forgot whether I gave you the Riptide Red Mod 1 or the Maispfeffer.

The Riptide Red could go into the fridge on Friday...the Maispfeffer, I would hold off until maybe Monday of next week.

The Buckwheat is good to go in the fridge.

Christ872 wrote:

Ed~

Which one?

I forgot whether I gave you the Riptide Red Mod 1 or the Maispfeffer.

The Riptide Red could go into the fridge on Friday...the Maispfeffer, I would hold off until maybe Monday of next week.

The Buckwheat is good to go in the fridge.

Good info. I couldn't remember either. So I will put my Maispfeffer in next week, and Buckwheat goes in tonight!

Jacylrin wrote:

I definitely hope I can make it to MUG gathering next time, but meanwhile if anyone wants to do lunch or something, let me know.

Jacylrin - sorry you couldn't be there. My wife and BugLaden's wife had a great time. Now, at least, my wife knows I'm not the only crazy brewer out there! :silly:

Yep i got the riptide red. Unfortunately, the bag I had them in, tipped over and got left in the car till Sunday afternoon, so they're all sitting upright to allow for settling again. So it might be next week till I can put them in the Fridge :( but I've got beer still so it's all good. Anybody have mine yet??

Docniel wrote:

....Anybody have mine yet??

Doc - I thought you said to wait awhile on the 1776??

hilkertj wrote:

Docniel wrote:

....Anybody have mine yet??

Doc - I thought you said to wait awhile on the 1776??

Agreed. I was under the same impression as John. Thought you said to give it a week THEN put it in the fridge. Did I misunderstand?

I got the Michelle Pfeiffer, so I'll put that in soon. Gonna open the Buckwheat tonight!

So what are we making as a collab brew? If I recall it was to get the kit brewers to the extract stage. Do we want to something light? Something darker? Something special?

Doc: Just stick 'em in the fridge for a few days. The yeast will settle to the bottom quickly.

Ed - I drank the two you gave me. No barbeque need!

The Caramel Porter was first - very tasty. I wouldn't say I tasted caramel, but more of a nuttiness. It was the first time I've ever experienced a brew that "sat" on the front of my tongue - is that mouth feel? (Most sit at the back, if you know what I mean.) I could taste an alcoholy taste as it went down the back of my throat. It was totally a new experience.

The English Strong Ale was extremely smooth. Great body and color. I couldn't distinguish any particular flavors, but I enjoyed it totally, while watching BSG!

Both brews had great head retention (caramel a bit more). Nice creations brother! :party:

BugLaden wrote:

I got the Michelle Pfeiffer, so I'll put that in soon. Gonna open the Buckwheat tonight!

So what are we making as a collab brew? If I recall it was to get the kit brewers to the extract stage. Do we want to something light? Something darker? Something special?

Doc: Just stick 'em in the fridge for a few days. The yeast will settle to the bottom quickly.

Good luck with the Buckwheat...I'm wildly curious about your taste-test.

As for a collab...would you guys be interested in tackling either of these styles:

7A. Northern German Altbier
Aroma:
Subtle malty, sometimes grainy aroma. Low to no noble hop aroma. Clean, lager character with very restrained ester profile. No diacetyl.
Appearance:
Light copper to light brown color; very clear from extended cold conditioning. Low to moderate off-white to white head with good retention.
Flavor:
Fairly bitter yet balanced by a smooth and sometimes sweet malt character that may have a rich, biscuity and/or lightly caramelly flavor. Dry finish often with lingering bitterness. Clean, lager character sometimes with slight sulfury notes and very low to no esters. Very low to medium noble hop flavor. No diacetyl.
Mouthfeel:
Medium-light to medium body. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.
Overall Impression:
A very clean and relatively bitter beer, balanced by some malt character. Generally darker, sometimes more caramelly, and usually sweeter and less bitter than Düsseldorf Altbier.
Comments:
Most Altbiers produced outside of Düsseldorf are of the Northern German style. Most are simply moderately bitter brown lagers. Ironically “alt” refers to the old style of brewing (i.e., making ales), which makes the term “Altbier” somewhat inaccurate and inappropriate. Those that are made as ales are fermented at cool ale temperatures and lagered at cold temperatures (as with Düsseldorf Alt).
Ingredients:
Typically made with a Pils base and colored with roasted malt or dark crystal. May include small amounts of Munich or Vienna malt. Noble hops. Usually made with an attenuative lager yeast.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.046 – 1.054
IBUs: 25 – 40 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 13 – 19 ABV: 4.5 – 5.2%
Commercial Examples:
DAB Traditional, Hannen Alt, Schwelmer Alt, Grolsch Amber, Alaskan Amber, Long Trail Ale, Otter Creek Copper Ale, Schmaltz’ Alt

-- or --

7B. California Common Beer
Aroma:
Typically showcases the signature Northern Brewer hops (with woody, rustic or minty qualities) in moderate to high strength. Light fruitiness acceptable. Low to moderate caramel and/or toasty malt aromatics support the hops. No diacetyl.

Appearance:
Medium amber to light copper color. Generally clear. Moderate off-white head with good retention.

Flavor:
Moderately malty with a pronounced hop bitterness. The malt character is usually toasty (not roasted) and caramelly. Low to moderately high hop flavor, usually showing Northern Brewer qualities (woody, rustic, minty). Finish fairly dry and crisp, with a lingering hop bitterness and a firm, grainy malt flavor. Light fruity esters are acceptable, but otherwise clean. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied. Medium to medium-high carbonation.
Overall Impression: A lightly fruity beer with firm, grainy maltiness, interesting toasty and caramel flavors, and showcasing the signature Northern Brewer varietal hop character.

History: American West Coast original. Large shallow open fermenters (coolships) were traditionally used to compensate for the absence of refrigeration and to take advantage of the cool ambient temperatures in the San Francisco Bay area. Fermented with a lager yeast, but one that was selected to thrive at the cool end of normal ale fermentation temperatures.

Comments: This style is narrowly defined around the prototypical Anchor Steam example. Superficially similar to an American pale or amber ale, yet differs in that the hop flavor/aroma is woody/minty rather than citrusy, malt flavors are toasty and caramelly, the hopping is always assertive, and a warm-fermented lager yeast is used.

Ingredients:
Pale ale malt, American hops (usually Northern Brewer, rather than citrusy varieties), small amounts of toasted malt and/or crystal malts. Lager yeast, however some strains (often with the mention of “California” in the name) work better than others at the warmer fermentation temperatures (55 to 60?F) used. Note that some German yeast strains produce inappropriate sulfury character. Water should have relatively low sulfate and low to moderate carbonate levels.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.048 – 1.054
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.011 – 1.014
SRM: 10 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 5.5%

======================

On a sidenote: I have an ingredient kit for the ALASKAN AMBER clone (see 7A above). Received as a birthday gift. It's built for a 5 gallon batch, but I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to pair down in size.

Ed~

Would you care to take the lead on the next get-together maybe up your way??

If so, maybe pitch a date a couple months out and we can all work toward that.

**just shooting from the hip here idea-wise**

John,

Glad you enjoyed them!

The Caramel Porter has tons of caramel malt in it - I'm thinking it's overpowered by the chocolate malt. I've already rejiggered the recipe for the next batch. It's a step on the way towards the elusive Saranac Porter clone - my holy grail!

The English Strong Ale is the Mr. Beer seasonal can. I wanted you to have one since you came on after they were gone.

hilkertj wrote:

Ed - I drank the two you gave me. No barbeque need!

The Caramel Porter was first - very tasty. I wouldn't say I tasted caramel, but more of a nuttiness. It was the first time I've ever experienced a brew that "sat" on the front of my tongue - is that mouth feel? (Most sit at the back, if you know what I mean.) I could taste an alcoholy taste as it went down the back of my throat. It was totally a new experience.

The English Strong Ale was extremely smooth. Great body and color. I couldn't distinguish any particular flavors, but I enjoyed it totally, while watching BSG!

Both brews had great head retention (caramel a bit more). Nice creations brother! :party:

Crue,
Not very wide palate here, IPAs and APAs are my thang.
I thought DFH's Burton Baton and 75 Min were great.
BB is a combo of Engl Strong and 90 min oak aged.
I thought a recipe where we can alter one part each and then each trade bottles to figure out the nuances would be cool?

Alzo,
Can we go to Flying Dog in Frederick?
Maybe a tour there and a picnic in April/May?

:cheer:

ZiggyZag wrote:

Crue,

Alzo,
Can we go to Flying Dog in Frederick?
Maybe a tour there and a picnic in April/May?

:cheer:

The wife and I have been wanting to go there. Just never make it. Def need to buy tickets well in advance, usually a month or more is needed.

ZiggyZag - I'm definitely up for trying a recipe. Also, for the Flying Dog.

Ed - we will hang out extra long, as we will be getting a hotel room! :popbeer:

Sorry Guys, i missed this.
No the 1776 Ale was good to go, I actually drank my last one today, it mellowed out very well, so much so that my last big bottle of it was drank yesterday while my wife used the Guinness to cook the Onions with

Also,
The only one I haven't had yet was the Stout, I just put that in the fridge tonight ( Do you guys want your bottles back)
The Rip Tide Red Mod1, was very tasty, hoppy at first and almost had an orange flavor in the finish.Is that a Mr. Beer Recipe, I might just have to try it out.
The IPA, I had opened that warm( and kept that one for myself)
The Winter Ale, was great! Was that the Seasonal from Last year??

Looking forward to more get together's

Docniel wrote:

...the 1776 Ale was good to go, I actually drank my last one today, it mellowed out very well...

Doc - great! I will be putting it in the fridge tonight! I'm looking forward to tasting the 1776. Oh yeah, on that same note, do you want your bottle back? :side:

Yeah but there's no rush on getting it back just yet, I've got to find another 12 pack of them, so hold onto it till we meetup again and bring something in it :laugh:

Docneil - your 1776 Ale was great. Thanks for the sample. Looking forward to our next DC/MD/VA get together.

"jrflowers2" post=252866 said:

i see this is an old topic,but im in ashburn,va

jrflowers2 - Welcome! An old thread that doesn't die. ;)

We discussed getting together (again) to share home brews, craft brews and brew stories. We got together in Falls Church last time. This time we are planning to meet in Frederick, MD. That's not bad from Ashburn.

I'd suggest that you subscribe to this thread, so you'll get the updates and can plan on joining us. :cheers:

I'm jealous of you guys, but in a good way. I'd like to meet up with some fellow brewers in Texas, but it seems we're just spread apart too far. Maybe one of these days. In the meantime, you guys are an inspiration. Cheers. :chug:

thanks,my wife has an aunt that lives in frederick.and you are right,its about an hour from ashburn depending on time of day and day!

"hilkertj" post=252868 said:

"jrflowers2" post=252866 said:

i see this is an old topic,but im in ashburn,va

jrflowers2 - Welcome! An old thread that doesn't die. ;)

We discussed getting together (again) to share home brews, craft brews and brew stories. We got together in Falls Church last time. This time we are planning to meet in Frederick, MD. That's not bad from Ashburn.

I'd suggest that you subscribe to this thread, so you'll get the updates and can plan on joining us. :cheers:

jrflowers2~

Welcome!! Nah...this isn't really an old folder...this is more a living thing. It's just been a little while since our last meet-up.

In fact, I'm not too far away from John (hilkertj) and we've even exchanged some brews and stuff outside of the meet. I believe we have a relatively good crowd in the DC/MD/VA areas. I know that BugLaden has a lot of good stuff and I've got an entire basement full of beer. John has a lot of good stuff and even more great ideas.

Hit me up with your information and we'll stay in touch and help you get rolling.

I'll send you a PM to see if you get it.

======

John~

Check your PMs too.

Hey anyone able to meet up with me and my computer sometime this week where there's is a WiFi spot and help me figure out what I did wrong with downloading Brew Q. I would really like to use it.

"Docniel" post=254877 said:

Hey anyone able to meet up with me and my computer sometime this week where there's is a WiFi spot and help me figure out what I did wrong with downloading Brew Q. I would really like to use it.

I don't use QBrew..so, I'll have to pass.

Which Brew recipe calculators do you guys use, any good FREE ones. I have used Beer Calculaus.

I use hopville for all my batchs too. I save them all under my account for leaving tasting notes.

I recently downloaded BrewPal for iPhone (only $.99). It is pretty good and has a few added features that hopville does not.

Yeah I started using Hopville too! I really like it. Can't wait for it to have app status for Android though.

Calling out Christ872...

Chris - I just tried your Michigan Bock M. Dude! What did you do to this? It is fantastic! Great head, slightly over-carbonated, but the head disappears quickly. I let the head disappear and after I took a sip, it reappeared and gave it a second head covering for another minute. Wow, I've never seen that before.

Great color, cloudy with some grain residue, but smooth on the tongue and going down the throat. Malty, with a tinge of bitter. The best bock I've tasted anywhere. Nice work You've got to give me the recipe so I can try to duplicate it.

Oh yeah, do I taste caramel or vanilla?

"Joechianti" post=252870 said:

I'm jealous of you guys, but in a good way. I'd like to meet up with some fellow brewers in Texas, but it seems we're just spread apart too far. Maybe one of these days. In the meantime, you guys are an inspiration. Cheers. :chug:

Hey Joe - thanks for chiming in on the DC/MD/VA thread brother. I have to say that I was enjoying Christ872's Michigan Bock M, when I looked at your new avatar picture. Brother, I almost spit up the big sip I just took. That pic is wrong for looking at and drinking. Another reason I did not go into the dental field! Nasty. :sick:

"hilkertj" post=257438 said:

Calling out Christ872...

Chris - I just tried your Michigan Bock M. Dude! What did you do to this? It is fantastic! Great head, slightly over-carbonated, but the head disappears quickly. I let the head disappear and after I took a sip, it reappeared and gave it a second head covering for another minute. Wow, I've never seen that before.

Great color, cloudy with some grain residue, but smooth on the tongue and going down the throat. Malty, with a tinge of bitter. The best bock I've tasted anywhere. Nice work You've got to give me the recipe so I can try to duplicate it.

Oh yeah, do I taste caramel or vanilla?

============

John~

I sent you a PM and included the link. But here it is again:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1046898/traditional-bock-recipes/michigan-bock-m

I think the proportional Munich/Vienna balance may be where the caramel taste (if any) is from. Definitely not vanilla.

With a high alpha hop like Rakau...I am so happy to hear that this didn't take over. Got exactly what I intended out of it.

Thanks for the awesome comments. I appreciate you taking the time to try one of my beers.

"hilkertj" post=257440 said:

"Joechianti" post=252870 said:

Hey Joe - thanks for chiming in on the DC/MD/VA thread brother. I have to say that I was enjoying Christ872's Michigan Bock M, when I looked at your new avatar picture. Brother, I almost spit up the big sip I just took. That pic is wrong for looking at and drinking. Another reason I did not go into the dental field! Nasty. :sick:

+1million billlion gaxzillion jatillion

Falls Church/Seven Corners - myLHBS update:

I decided to check out the myLHBS in Falls Church yesterday during lunch. Parking is funny there - they've got 2 or 3 spots in front of their store that are reserved for them, the rest are for the other businesses that share their side of the building. I witnessed the locksmith shop next door to them threaten some lady about having just called the tow truck on her. Wow...I was lucky to get one of the brew shops spaces.

The unfriendly owner was there, along with the younger guy who reviewers have said is friendly and knowledgeable. I'd have to agree with that. The owner grunted my way when I came in, then quickly dismissed me. However, the younger guy immediately offered to help me. He has good customer service skills for sure. Fortunately, the owner was outta there to go to his storage facility, so the experience was better than expected.

As for selection, I was very impressed with the items on hand. Grains, extracts, kits, carboys, mini 3L kegs, mega accessories, whirlfloc and such items. They are definitely a Brewers Best distributor. Everything there seemed to be the BB brand. Also, they solely sell Wyeast according to the younger employee.

I bought some gizzmos and enjoyed my browsing experience. Just thought I'd share...

I have 3 batches ready now. Time to make more is hard to come by. If plans for a get-together solidify, somebody email me so I can chime in!

If I understood the PM correctly, I believe I remember Ed letting me know he had other things going...so he was unable to take the lead on organizing something.

I know that John (hilkertj) and his family have a lot of activities and events going with his kids and such.

Not sure who would be willing to take the reigns on organizing another get-together. My information suggests that a new pub is being built in Falls Church, but they're just starting...so when it's up and running, I'll organize one there. But we need something in the meanwhile. Hopefully sooner than later.

Anyone willing to take the lead??

I would but trying to put all energy to buying a house and finding a real job. Unless we did a BBQ somewhere? Would all be up for that.

Wow...seems like noone is in. I really want to have a get-together.

Buehler?....Buehler?

Well,
We have a closing date of 16 July +/- a day. SO maybe I can talk Amy into a house warming Party of sorts First part of august.

Doc - a house warming would be very cool. Where did you buy? Chris and I are going to hook up for a BBQ and brew exchange, so maybe we can do it at your place!?.. :woohoo:

"Docniel" post=269071 said:

Well,
We have a closing date of 16 July +/- a day. SO maybe I can talk Amy into a house warming Party of sorts First part of august.

On another note, the BORG comes through again. I am traveling to Detroit (I know, you're jealous already) for a conference next week. I reached out to the Michigan MUG on the forum. Looks like I might grab a microbrew at the Detroit Beer Co. with forum user LouieMacGoo. He gave me some places to check out while in Detroit. :chug:

We are buying in Kemp Mill Section of Silver Spring :cheer:

I am hoping that we'll be settled in by the 15'th of Aug so maybe sometime after that, unless you all would like to do it sooner.

I'm also in the DC area, up in Laurel, MD. At least for the next couple years.

Sweet!
Welcome to the Board gizmo!

We're trying to come up with a plan for the next meet up.

Hey DC/MD/VA gang.

Last night I met up with LouieMacGoo in Detroit, Michigan. We met at the Detroit Beer Company. Great micro brews there (similar to the MadFox Brewery).

LouieMacGoo also brought two of his home brews for me to sample. One was this awesome "eyeopener sumatra" chocolate stout, the other was awesome too, but I can't recall what it was...

We had a great time chatting about our home brew experiences, before we were thrown out of the bar for sampling "outside" brews. So, how many on the board can claim that they were not only thrown out of a bar, but a Detroit bar?

Regardless, it was great to hook up with another Borg user while on travel in a new and "exotic" place. :chug:

I know of Port City Brewing Company in Arlington as they had a rep come up a month or two ago to my regular beer depot. Haven't been down there yet, but want to. Anyone know of any other breweries in the DC/Baltimore area that offer (preferably free/cheap) tours and tastings?

Gizmo - Port City has some great brews. I went there about a month ago.

You buy tickets for samplings and the tour. My favorite of theirs is the Scottish Ale. I can't find it at Wegman's, but they sell the Port City Porter and Pale Ale at Wegman's.

They also had an Oyster Stout. I love stout and I definitely didn't taste any oysters. Frankly, I don't understand why they added real oysters to the boil, but they did. Oh well, go there man!

Yum Oysters and Stout! Where is this place at in Arlington??

Yum Oysters! Though I would imagine an Oyster stout would be less oystery than say an oyster Pale Ale. Where is this place in Arlington, might have to check that out. Hey hilkertj thanks for sharing your mis-adventure.

Not sure what is going on with my computer tonight though.

Doc - here ya go brother from their website:

Port City welcomes you to come visit, tour the brewery and taste our beer from our taps. The brewery is located at 3950 Wheeler Avenue in Alexandria, VA.

Public tours take place at 6:30 pm on Friday; 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00 pm on Saturday; and 2:00 pm on Sunday — reservations are not required. The cost is $7 and includes a tasting glass to keep and a full tasting of all of our beers on tap. For more information, or for groups, please contact us at 703.797.2739

We should do a get together there!

I'm definitely planning on heading down there sometime. Just have to be off with the xtra cash, and permission from the wife to get away for a few hours. With a 3-year old, my off days become her off days from the little one!

Sure how much for how much?? Liquid or dry?

In other news, the house we were looking at the deal fell flat on the seller's face. So now we are looking else where. Anyone live in German town area??

"Docniel" post=276294 said:

Sure how much for how much?? Liquid or dry?

In other news, the house we were looking at the deal fell flat on the seller's face. So now we are looking else where. Anyone live in German town area??

Docniel~

Bonlander is a malt similar (amped up) Munich. I probably have about 2 Lbs.

You asked how much for how much? About $2.15.

Sorry to hear about the house. That stinks. Well, hopefully ya'll find something better.

Doc - sorry to hear about the house deal. That means you'll find a better one. B)

Thanks man. I'm hoping to find one soon or could end up on the street as it were come Oct when i retire.

I just found out that Heavy Seas is like 15 minutes from me if traffic isn't bad. Gonna try and hit up a tasting/tour one of these Saturdays, I'm looking at the 18th right now. Anyone done Heavy Seas yet?

I'll be moving in October as well, if things go as planned. I'm really hating this apartment and need more space.

So...is ANYONE interested in taking the reigns on organizing something?? We really need to do something.

Frankly, I have a boatload of beers I need to share with people.

Gizmo,
I had their IPA3 a couple of months ago, my wife drank most of them I only had a couple, but from what I recall, Fabulous!!!

Hey Christ, I'm a thinking it looks like you are being highly motivated to organize a get together.
How able this:

Oct 6'th (saturday)6-9?? PM Place TBD
Let me know how that works for everyone on time/ date

"Docniel" post=277487 said:

Gizmo,
I had their IPA3 a couple of months ago, my wife drank most of them I only had a couple, but from what I recall, Fabulous!!!

Oct 6'th (saturday)6-9?? PM Place TBD
Let me know how that works for everyone on time/ date

Looking ahead, the 6th is a weekend I'll work, and be on overnight shift schedule, so I wouldn't make that date, but could do the 13th, possibly, depending on place/time and family.

Um nope I meant October. Trying to buy a house, find a job, and have a retirement ceremony. Oh and driving up to Philly every Monday for my daughter medical appointments. I can do something in Aug, but I really wouldn't be the best at setting anything up though.

Hey all. I am in NoVa and just started out brewing after a coworker turned me on to MrBeer. Now am up to my third batch and would love to attend the next get together. October sounds great as by then, I'll have a couple of batches ready to share :)

On another note, has anyone had good experiences at some the LHBS in the area? I went and checked out myLHBS in Falls Church yesterday and was a bit underwhelmed. It was very small but had a large selection of hops and yeast. It is really catered to 5 gallon brewing though and the guy was a bit snobby when I told him I wanted to stick to Mr. Beer for now as the size is right for my current beer consumption. But he was helpful when we got to talking about yeast. Though when I told him I was brewing an Abbey Dubbel he sold me on buying the S33 yeast, which for those who read my post in the newbie section I should be going more for the T58 strain.

They had a great selection of DME there, with a lot of 1# bags as well as 3# bags. However, in the LME selection, I was a bit disappointed when all they had were 3# LME except for a couple of cans of 1# pale LME. I talked to him about whether or not one can only use part of a 3# LME and store the rest and he thought at most, you could do that for a month but that risked oxygenation. At which point he went back to trying to sell me on moving up to a 5 gallon system again. Maybe when I buy a second LBK I'll start buying 3# LME...

Overall, I would go back there but want to check out some of the other LHBS in the area. I saw there is one in Manassess I might try next.

Ryjaz~

Welcome!

So, you went to the LHBS over near the Sears in Falls Church. That's about 5-10 minutes from my house.

Just a thought -- why don't you join the Collaboration thread that Fedora Dave started. I'll see if maybe Dave can pair you and I together. I have been brewing since June 2011 and have quite a bit of stock...both ingredients and beer.

I'd be interested to meet up with you and lend any support I can and even learn from your ideas too.

We'd definitely want to have you be a part of the get-together whenever we organize it. The last one was nice.

===============

In regard to your point about the LHBS guy trying to sell you a 3LB can of LME. I understand. Been there a bunch. If you only want 1 Lb you're going to have to go the DME route. BUT let me say this...the 3Lb thing of Briess CBW LME...in a 2.3 gallon Mr. Beer LBK starts you at around a 1.047 OG (or roughly 4.7% ABV depending on your yeast attentuation).

Should you buy 1 thing of that Briess CBW LME...that would be a great start for a SMaSH recipe. If you're looking to grasp or explore a certain hop, a Single Malt, Single Hop) addition could be excellent and that can of LME would be a perfect size to do it with.

In addition, You could easily you one of those in conjunction with a small amount of grains (if you want to try an Extract + Specialty Grains recipe)...or if you add 1 Can of the old Mr. Beer stuff, you're in the 1.061-ish (6.1% ABV range).

I would be really happy to work with you and help you expand a little...if you'd care to.

I know last post I made said maybe the 13th would work for me, but turns out that's the weekend we'll be moving, so I'd only be available the 27th/28th for any October get together. Looks like I'll just have to look forward to a later one, will give me more time to get some pipeline going!

Welcome Ryjaz!

Ryjas welcome to the Board and welcome to the area. Yeah the LHBS in Falls Church is hit/ miss with service the Owner is kinda there but the other two guys are great! Yep small but if there is something out on the floor they might have something better in the back, oh and they will mill your grains for you too! I haven't gone to Jays new location yet but I know the original owner, (he moved down to NC) opened up his own Meadeary a few years ago, great stuff.
Other places ( depending of where you live:
All of these will ship:
Annapolis Home Brew (Annapolis)
Maryland Home Brew ( Columbia) Great store they will even let you brew in the back.
The Flying Barrel (Frederick)
There might be something down in Fredericksburg, but not sure.
Gizmo:
Sounds like we are in the same boat with moving and everything. I should be moving before October.
Chris:
Did you find that other bag of grain, I'll trade for a couple of bottles come Monday...

SO Alas my fellow D.C. Brewers, I am saddened to tell you that come the 31'st of October I will be moving South to Portsmouth, where I will be setting up shop, squatting in a friends house while training for Paramedic, after which i will more than likely be going over Seas. Chris I have some of your bottles if you would like then back let me know.

Doc,

It's always good to have a friend in the VA Beach area! Plus, you'll always have the MadFox to think about, and the board will keep us in touch. It sure beats Ft. Belvoir....

Good luck brother. Stay in touch.

John B)

Aw thanks guys you really do care! :blush: At least it's not that far away and there might be some good job prospects in Portsmouth, at least there is a bigger group of families there that have kids like my youngest ( medically speaking) So if I end up having to be shipped off some where, they have a solid support structure that we are ramping up down there.

On another note, I've been busy in the past couple of nights I've made two LBK's of Smoky Irish read ale, one with US-04 and one with US-05 a Belgian Tripel and either two five gal brews or one five gal and another LBK 9 with room for maybe a lager. Got to get everything brewed and bottled that I want to drive down with us as opposed to with the movers.

On another, another note: If any of you just happen to be down by the vietnam veteran's memorial on 5 Oct around 3PM, come on over to my retirement ceremony.