Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christ872

DC/Maryland/Virginia

Hey guys,

FYI - DC is hosting the Craft Brewers Conference in March, 2013. Check it out here.

It runs from March 26-29. Looks like a home brewer's dream, at least the exhibits and local craft brewery tours. Would sure beat going to work... :woohoo:

"hilkertj" post=293934 said:

Hey guys,

FYI - DC is hosting the Craft Brewers Conference in March, 2013. Check it out here.

It runs from March 26-29. Looks like a home brewer's dream, at least the exhibits and local craft brewery tours. Would sure beat going to work... :woohoo:

WTF...that looks awesome. Nice find. My birthday is earlier that month...so that would be perfect. It looks like a LOT of fun. And no need to book a hotel since we're already here. I'll have to dig into more of the details...but I definitely would like to be there and check this out.

According to the calendar, that is a Tues-thru Friday event. Hmm.

Hello fellow DCers/NoVa'ers I am new to the area as I just moved up from the Miami area and received an early christmas gift of a MrBeer kit. I am now fermenting my first batch and am very excited about my new hobby. It is really cool to see other people living in the area enjoying the same hobby. I am looking forward to contributing where I can and meeting a lot of good people.

Zobel~

Welcome!!

Hey congrats on getting started with brewing and such.

Well, me, jhilkert (John), and Gizmo were all going to get together...but I had a medical thing and so we are going to postpone it until maybe the beginning of the New Year. Please consider coming out and having a beer with us.

I had organized a get-together in the middle of the year at the Md Fox Brewery/Restaurant. I think we had 4 guys (and 2 of them brough their wives). We did a beer/homebrew exchange and a bit of food and a good time. I think it was a lot of fun.

John was talking about doing a get-together at DogfishHead maybe out in Chantilly. It's not a mandatory that you have beers to exchange...the most important thing is just to come out and have a good time. Good beer, good food. That's what we do. Let's see what John's schedule is and maybe Gizmo can come out and we can all meet up. Hope you'd be interested.

Again...welcome!

Zobel - +1 on what Chris (Christ872) said. We are glad to have another "local" and hope you can join us as we try to get together after the holidays.

:charlie:
John

"hilkertj" post=304527 said:

Zobel - +1 on what Chris (Christ872) said. We are glad to have another "local" and hope you can join us as we try to get together after the holidays.

John

Chris and Charlie,
Thank you both for the warm welcome. I would love to come out and meet you guys and have a few beers. I will keep an eye on the forums to see when you guys are thinking about and will do my best to be able to make it. I will be in Vegas from Jan 16-22nd so anytime outside of that I will be there, but with me being the newbie please don't feel the need to schedule around me. Looking forward to some good times and good beer!

John

John,
Thank you for the supplies today and look forward to sharing some home brew with you here in the near future.

"zobel0022" post=305074 said:

John

John,
Thank you for the supplies today and look forward to sharing some home brew with you here in the near future.

Matt - it was great to meet you and talk home brewing! I'm looking forward to grabbing some beers with you at Dogfish Head. Glad you're so close to the place!

I'm new to home brewing but, I've got almost a week of fermenting going on my first batch. I'd love in on a meet up sometime and learn a little/lot more about this marvelous wonder that is home brewing. Keep me posted of when/where the meet up happens. Thanks. Cheers and Happy Brewing!

ARme - welcome to home brewing and to the BORG. We have collectively tried to plan some meet ups recently, but the holidays were hanging over us. I think that in the next month or so we will arrange something and you will be included. Glad to have another local!

John

Howdy from Kent Island, MD

Anyone close by?

I'm fermenting up my first batch of Mr Beer now. I've been an off and on homebrewer for a while (mostly off) and Santa brought me a Premium Kit for christmas. Can't wait to brew some more.

-D

Welcome Darrylovia! I'm not too far from you (would be closer if it weren't for the damn bridge!). I'm in Fort Meade and occassionally use Annapolis Homebrew for my LHBS needs, though find Maryland Homebrew to be a little more sociable and it's prices are usually cheaper.

"Gizmo" post=313969 said:

Welcome Darrylovia! I'm not too far from you (would be closer if it weren't for the damn bridge!). I'm in Fort Meade and occassionally use Annapolis Homebrew for my LHBS needs, though find Maryland Homebrew to be a little more sociable and it's prices are usually cheaper.

I live near Baltimore, and you are so correct about Maryland Homebrew, they are great guys always willing to help. I went to Annapolis Homebrew and I felt if I went to Maryland Homebrew I would have been out the door in less than 10 minutes.

BTW Maryland Homebrew is more hands on too, as you are allowed to select and mill your own grain. At Annapolis Homebrew I waited in line 40 mins for 1/2lb of Crystal 40.

Howdy all - after escaping the east coast more than 20 years ago - I will be making my triumphant return to Southern Maryland (St Marys/Calvert county area). I see there is not a lot of LHBS so will be making the trip to either Baltimore or Annapolis on occasion.

I don't have a ton of equipment right now (mostly using stove top and 6 LBKs, occasionally a 5 gallon ale pail) but hope to get things set up in garage once I move in with SWMBO in the springtime. In the meantime I hope to build a stir plate, and a mash tun out of a cooler. Anyone in those areas (StM/Calvert) with any experience in anything - let me know. I am not particularly handy but am eager lol. Also we will be trying to turn a sun porch into a bar area for people to come over and hang out, sample. Trying to run things from garage into said sunroom (they share a wall) so any skilled guys (construction/plumbing/electrical) let me know - may have work for you :)

Also anyone in the area that may not be aware of it - the Old Town Pub in Leonardtown has $2 pints of everything on Thursdays - so after the running club gets done (SWMBO is a fit girl) - they have $2 DogFish Head and a few others :)

Cheers
jeff

John~

Any chance we could have a meet-up in late January?

I'd like to hit that Dogfish with you and some of the guys. My free weekends with be 1/12 and 1/26 and 2/9. Lets organize something and get some people involved.

My idea would be to maybe do one soon and then we can maybe figure out something for May or June.

============

Welcome to everyone in the area. Let's brew and be happy!!

Jeff~

1 request -- BEAT nd!!

That's all you have to do. I'll never ask anything out of you for the rest of my life or my children's lives. Just beat nd. 70-0 sounds good. But 50-0 is fine. I don't care, just beat those goodfornothings.

Thank you
Chris

Chris,
Looks like we have opposite free weekends now! I am going to be on paternity leave most of January, so in theory once this baby comes (any day now) I'll be free whenever until the Super Bowl. In reality, I'll be free whenever the wife lets me take some time away from the kids and her, which will probably be the day after the Super Bowl when I go back to work! Tentatively I'd say the weekend of the 26th may work best for me, weather and family permitting. If something gets put together let me know and I'll see if it works into my schedule.

@ Christ - LOL - we will try our best. Weird thing is - although I was born in Alabama (Ft Rucker) I never had even been back there until last summer (drove through there just so I could go to Tuscaloosa). Being as both sides of the family came over from Ireland and most are Catholic (with a few Celts/Pagans thrown in) - we often supported the Irish. Once I moved to Colorado and we ran into them in back to back years in bowl games I began to not like them as much.

I like the new coach and think he will do fine there (of course I also thought Ty Willingham and Charlie Weis could succeed there). So - for a non-sec team the Irish are ok, but they must be punished come monday night. Saban needs to get another crystal ball and then get to work on next years kids as we will probably lose another ton of guys to nfl this year. Fortunately he seems to be pretty good at restocking the cupboard with his kind of guys - he doesnt go afgter the highest rated kids all the times but he does seem to get players who will listen and learn and bust their butts.

That said - I dont think there will be 50 points total in the game, and our defense is not nearly as strong as last years (but we do have a ton of young guys playing) - so it may be more like last years 21-0. Hope that will work for ya :) :stout:

Cheers
jeff

Hey all, Southern Maryland here (Mechanicsville). manofwarfan, looks like we will need to get together. Looking forward to meeting some of you and sharing beers! :stout:

I remember Mechanicsville :) I may have gotten into trouble there in my wilder days. Definitely will look you up when I get out there. Should be bringing a bunch of the pipleine with me but cant wait to get out there and start trying to use the propane cooker, mash tun etc. Hopefully we can get the sun room turned in to a bar soon. We have plans to torture people our age with horrible 80s music & vids - and then right when they are about to break - put on the good stuff (according to my definition lol).

I went to high school (Ryken) with SWMBO - and we kinda sorta dated/hung out - but she was mroe preppy and I was Mr Outlaw so it shall be fun :) Lots of projects once I get out there - just hoping someone out there brews on one of the propane cooker things. I am a bit iffy on fire since seeing a childhood friend turned into a briquette when we were little. Thus the current electric stove :) Gotta get over that.

We are gonna be in the Breton Bay area of Leonardtown, MD so probably not too far from you. As I have been gone for over 20 years I don't know too many peeps so having a homebrewing within range will be great :)

Cheers
jeff

Hey guys...let's see if we can figure out something for mid/late February.

How does the weekend of February 23th or March 9 sound??

If John's good for setting up that Dogfish Tavern spot...maybe we can start building a rollcall and get this party started.

I may be off by a few people...

Christ872
Hilkertj
Zobel
ARme
Darrylovia
Gizmo
Manowarfan1
Kmccarthy
OldBarbarian

Any of you guys up for a meet up/beer exchange/dinner/fun

Those two weekends are ones I work, so I'd have to sit them out. I think our weekends alternate now, Chris, so I'm not sure we'd be able to coordinate schedules at this point, unless it was this weekend since I'm on paternity leave.

I am starting in a new position at work that is essentially something on call but otherwise I would be good with Feb 23. SWMBO is going away that other weekend so can't do that because I will have the little SWMBO.

I won't be there by February but will be there most likely late April or early May. I also saw a thing where some folks out there organize some bulk grain buys - I will definitely want to get in on things like that once I get there. Too late for me to really do it here, which sucks - there is a big malting place right up in/near Denver. I also found a small home brew club for Southern Maryland area so that will help. I still know some peeps in the area but as I used to visit like once a decade before reconnecting with SWMBO - I probably wouldn't recognize any of them :) This way I get to meet some people into brewing, and maybe pick some brains as we convert the sun room into a bar area and set up garage for brewing :)
Cheers
jeff

Bump. I am in Southern Maryland nowadays. Hope to have a man cave and brew room set up hopefully in the next couple of weeks, then work on the bar area :) Anyone with any skillz in any of those areas let me know - we will have to have some store bought beers until the pipeline is humming along again :)

Cheers
jeff

Things are settling down here so I may be up for some meetups in the area soon. We do have a trip to Louisville KY at end of August for Ironman Louisville, and my annual trip to ATL for heavy metal fest is first week of September but after that there will likely be trips up to Annapolis and a few other places.

In doing a hash run (no, the legal kind) - it turns out taht several of the runners are also homebrewers, and apparently a couple of the people in SWMBO running club are as well. I have a pipeline started up but wont really be able to hit my stride until we get the garage and sun room done, and get another fridge, and a temp controller, and... but anyone down in the SoMD area hit me up.

Cheers

jeff

Finally dove in and started my first batch just after Christmas.  Oh the agony of waiting!  Looking for events/activity in the Hampton Roads area.  Keep me posted. 

Cheers!