Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
LovesaStout

Horrifying Discovery!!!!!!

So I decided to try my hand at a Banana Bread Ale. After a day of fermentation my Bavarian Yeast caused Krausen to spill out of the LBK. "No Biggie", I thought. I cleaned up, but appearently not before the eruption had ended. 3 weeks later I am ready to bottle. I go into the closet to get my LBK and notice some sticky Krausen on the floor and down the side of the LBK. "No Biggie", I thought. Then I noticed some larvae on the outside. I took off the lid and there was around ten, what I believe to be Gnat Larvae, squirming around in the moist Krausen, stuck on the sides and lid of the LBK. Needless to say the beer was contaminated and I poured it out. Has this happened to anyone before?

I've got fruit flies, but I've never seen them actually get into the LBK with the lid on. Maybe the little maggot bastards can squeeze through there if they hatch on the outside? That would really piss me off!

When I used an airlock on my glass carboys sometimes a fruit fly would get in there and drown in the vodka.

Been lucky myself so far. Sorry to hear about the loss. :ohmy:

I'll make daily inspections of my active fermentors just in case they need a little cleanup, especially during the primary fermentation phase when things can sometimes get a little sloppy.

I also wage a seemingly never ending war with those little fruit fly bastards too trying to kill as many of them as I possibly can while I'm brewing. The balsamic vinegar in a bowl method seems to be the most effective, just use a sharp toothpick to poke a bunch of holes in the plastic wrap. I also have noticed the the little bastards are fond of rehydrated yeast, maybe a little more so than balsamic vinegar.

Brian1179 wrote:

with a mini fridg, i do not have that problem :woohoo: :woohoo:

You realize that next time you open the door to perve your beer, a fly is gonna get in there now...

mashani wrote:
You realize that next time you open the door to perve your beer, a fly is gonna get in there now...

your right of course, but i got traps for them just in case :P :woohoo: