Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

adding hops to secondary fermenter question.

I'm doing a Bell's Two-Hearted Ale clone, and have to do some dry hopping in a secondary fermenter. It calls for 1/3 oz Centennial hops in the secondary.

Do I put this in a muslin sack? What about sanitation?

Sanitize the hop sack by soaking in OneStep or StarSan, just as you would anything else coming in contact with beer. Put hops in it, tie making sure you leave enough room for expansion, and dump it in quickly. You may want to sanitize a stainless nut or a marble to add to the sack to keep it on the bottom of the fermenter.

Yep. I use a sack for dry hopping; the only time I use them for that matter. I boil mine. Just don't fall asleep or get too engrossed in that TV show/game/whatever. They're kinda stinky when they burn. :P

Stoutmeister wrote:

You can also just add directly to the fermenter or secondary. Especially since its such a small amount.

Never done that, do they sink or float?

Naked pellets seem to swell, then dissipate and float for a while in my experience. They eventually settle to the bottom with the trub (a cold crash helps).

I always put the hops in the secondary and then rack the beer on top of it. Some of the hops float but they dissolve in a few days and most of it settles to the bottom.