Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
faust

UnCarbed Bottles to keg ?

So I checked on a batch of Barleywine that I bottled back in June . Most of it was bottled in Liter bottle and then a few pints as a control batch . I popped on of the smaller bottles and nothing . It tasted fine but no fizz ... So since this had a few more weeks of conditioning left , would it be a mistake to just keg it and carb ? any down side ?

The only real downside I can see would be adding oxygen when you pour the bottles into the keg, but Barleywines often have a an oxidized flavor ultimately anyway.

tell ya what for all the trouble this one gave me , I just had a few Christmas eve . After fussing with the carbonation levels a bit , it was freaking awesome . Gonna brew up a Bigfoot Barleywine clone and let it go till next christmas ,,,,,if i can wait that long .

did you use screw caps? I had a problem with the Mr B caps never sealing tight enough. Barlywines can be aged for years. I have a Belgium versions that is now 3 years old now. The flavors get more complex every year

i had originaly used flip tops . At 6 months I go no carbonation . Flipped it over to a keg , then still had with carb, and had to keep upping the pressures . But finally got it right a just over 15psi.