Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manowarfan1

Using growlers for bottling?

Howdy wizened elders. Every time I go to Cheers Liquor Store and buy some of the 22oz flavors for bottle harvesting, I keep seeing the Dead Guy Ale from Rogue in a 64 oz growler (cost is almost $14), also LHBS is also a microbrewery selling growlers (oh hell there is so many microbreweries in Colorado Springs, and Colorado in general I can get them anywhere), I was wondering:
Does anyone use the growlers for their MrB stuff? I would batch prime - just wondering the pros and cons that i may not have thought of.

What say you?
Cheers
jeff

texasbrewer0069 wrote:

If a growler bomb happen ;) s it would be a big boom

Yup. And I don't know... Every growler I've ever opened was flat the next day, no matter how hard or loose I screwed the cap on! (though I suspect a flip top would fare better...)

On the other hand, I have opened bombers, poured half and re-capped with my wing capper and the remains seem to say carbonated for days...

Good points, I guess the purpose for growlers is just if you are taking it home from the brewery that night at it is already carbed from the keg?

Oh well, thought it might be a time saver on bottling day.

Cheers
jeff

I actually do use growlers from time to time to bottle my home-brew and have no carbonation problems.

So, I would say to go for it.

I bottle in them also (the flip tops, not screw tops), and haven't had any problems. It's best to pour one into a pitcher for consumption in one sitting though, as repeated pouring stirs up the bottle trub quite a bit.

BeerLabelMan had a growler explode on him once. There's a picture of it in this thread:

http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=12&id=188590#188634

I bottled my first in a flip-top growler without any problems. I also didn't drink it in one sitting either, sealed and back in fridge. When I bottle condition, I keep the growler or bottles in a tote to minimize damage.

I've been re-using the Miller Lite Home Draft kegs, and was worried about the mess that could be made from a 1.5 gallon bottle bomb.

So I find they fit perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket from home depot. If you're like me you have plenty of those things laying around.

Ive been a big advocate for bottling in grolwers (I use screw tops, both the plastic oens with the cone shaped piece inside, and the metal lids). However, I did have a batch recently that DID NOT CARBONATE!!!! First batch of beer I've lost to date. I'm assuming the seal on the bottle was weak, and the CO2 got out. My answer was to throw the cap away and get a new one, hopefully that fixes us. But besides this one slip up, they work great as a time saving way to bottle yer brew.

smokeymountainbrewer wrote:

I've been re-using the Miller Lite Home Draft kegs, and was worried about the mess that could be made from a 1.5 gallon bottle bomb.

So I find they fit perfectly in a 5 gallon bucket from home depot. If you're like me you have plenty of those things laying around.

have you ever forced carbed with the miller lite home draft system?

losman26 wrote:

smokeymountainbrewer wrote:

have you ever forced carbed with the miller lite home draft system?

Haven't tried force carbing. I just batch prime and fill 2 MHDKs and about 10-12 bottles from a 5 gallon batch.

I've been loving it. Great, cheap way to test the waters of "kegging".

Beer seems to disappear faster now though. :drinking:

You can definitely bottle and carb in growlers. Saves a lot of time, but you do need to drink it all in one sitting to avoid losing all the carb.

I hear you stoutmeister, if I was to use a growler, it would be in the future, when I know I can actually make good beer, on a reliable recipe, and I would be using it to bring to friends, give as gifts etc. It would be an experiment, because I would need it to be someone closer enough that I can get the growler back for future use :)

Cheers
jeff