Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
steveabrous

coopers kits

Has anyone used a Coopers or Muntons beer kit and made 2-2.5 gallons in MRB keg. You know use whole kit no dme or dextrose. If so how did it turn out

Guest System Admin

Many of the Cooper kits have two cans in the kits for 5 gallon so can devide easy, you just need to buy a second yeast

Guest System Admin

Few posts on the list about Muntons
I have IMP Stout in the bottle and IPA in the keg.

Look for topic Lazy Mans beer or something like that. Search for Muntons

I have UME LME from Coopers I plan on using with a few of the light HME.

One 3.3 pnd can makes one LBK - easy- add nothing but water and yeast

My IMP Stout is good but needs to age a bit longer. 4 weeks is not long enough.
I went 21 days in the keg, batch prime. Drank 2 other 6 going to age for a few more weeks.
Makes good beer

Guest System Admin

I like the Coopers cans. I have a Coopers Dark ale and a Coopers Draught in lbk's right now. With a can of Coopers English Bitter, and lager waiting to brew.

I tried Coopers after I had brewed Mr Beers seasonal beers. I could not go back to Mr Beers premium refills after brewing the seasonal's.

I was looking for something cheaper than the Mr Beer seasonal's so tried Coopers. The first Cooper's beer I tried was the Dark ale, my son said it was the best beer I had made so far.

I have not tried the Munton's yet. Munton cans, can be bought singly or in 2 packs. I have read mixed reviews on the Munton cans. I guess like all home brew it is up to each individuals tastes.

Guest System Admin

I will say I am not overly impressed with the Muntons Imp Stout, BUT it may need to age longer Stouts take longer aging ?
I thought the MRB Irish Stout was better.
If I find some Coopers on sale, I might try one.

I've done the Cooper's Irish Stout many many times ( really good brew) and I've done Brewferm's Christmas & Diabolo twice and both very good as well.

Muntons Gold kits and Munton's "Woodforde" kits are generally excellent, they come in 2 cans, just use one per batch straight up with nothing added and you get more or less the beer that was intended, perhaps just a tad stronger depending on the kit.

Normal Coopers and Muntons kits are designed to brew 5-6 gallon batches with a single can + 1-2# of sugar or malt extract, so they might be too bitter if brewed as a straight up batch in a single LBK depending on your tastes (they won't brew the same beer as intended for sure). That doesn't mean they will be bad, it just depends on your tastes. When I brew a Coopers kit (for example their Bitter kit or Stout kit, which I like), I add 2# of DME, and some goldings or fuggles for a short flavor/aroma boil, and split the batch across 2 LBKs. That makes a very nice beer.

I agree with the above post. The Coopers kits are hopped for 6 gallons. One can in a Mr Beer keg would be very bitter. I split an Australian bitter kit between 2 kegs and it had a bite to it that took awhile to mellow in the fridge.

Guest System Admin

I only use one can of Coopers in an LBk and do not find it to be bitter. I just tasted both Coopers I having brewing now after only 10 days and they taste quite smooth to me. I guess it could be though that I just like bitter beer.

I spend time on the Aussie brew forums and they tend to add hops to the Cooper cans for a 6 gallon brew, so they must think it is not hopped enough for 6 gallons. Just a matter of each individuals taste.

I've done up several Munton's. I usually do the whole thang, used to divide them between 2 LBKs with no problem, filling to the bottom of the *Q*. Now I use 6 gallon carboys.

I use Muntons and Coopers HME's all the time. They are usually 3.3 to 4 LB per can depending on what style it is.

For preparing batches for my Mr Beer LBK's, I open the cans of HME and measure out about 1.25 LBS per batch using my kitchen scale, into plastic "take along" containers. What I don't use I pop into the fridge where they keep very nicely.

I almost always combine Muntons or Coopers HME with an equal amount (about 1.25 LBS also) of Briess LME.

Always have extra packets of ale yeast (Muntons, Coopers or Mr Beer) in the fridge.

I mix and match the brands all the time, and also it is very cost effective.

A can of Muntons or Coopers HME, 3.3 to 4 LBS depending on the style, costs anywhere from $14 to $20 per can (again depends on the style).

A 3.3 LBS container of Briess LME cost's about $11.

Bottom line about $11 to $14 for a finished case of beer.

Pretty darn good I'd say...

I did the Coopers Irish Stout in a Mr. Beer keg and it came out like motor oil. It was ok, but just too strong and too bitter for a an irish stout. I'm sure some other ones would be ok in one keg, maybe something lighter?

Stoutmeister wrote:

I did the Coopers Irish Stout in a Mr. Beer keg and it came out like motor oil. It was ok, but just too strong and too bitter for a an irish stout. I'm sure some other ones would be ok in one keg, maybe something lighter?

Did you do the whole kit (5-gallon kit) in one 2.13 gallon LBK? OR did you split it up?

Stoutmeister wrote:

Did you use the entire can(s) in the LBK. If you did, then I understand the results. The Coopers and Muntons are for 5-6 Gallon batches.

Best to measure out for a LBK size batch...

If you did measure out for an LBK size and your results were as you describe, then that stinks and I'm sorry to hear it...

vmaxept wrote:

...Stouts take longer aging ?

vmaxept no. My stouts have always been ready to drink in 4-6 weeks, they've all been in the 4.6-5.8% ABV range too.

That size can works in an LBK, but without hops, your gonna have a brew so malty I bet u can't drink it. The addition of bittering hops would be very necessary. IMHO

FrozenInTime wrote:

That size can works in an LBK, but without hops, your gonna have a brew so malty I bet u can't drink it. The addition of bittering hops would be very necessary. IMHO

Yes, that can is a perfect size, but needs a bittering hop boil at the very least. Add flavor/aroma hops and some steeping grains and you can make a mighty good beer with it. EDIT: Think of it as a 3.3# can of Mr. Beer UME.

tspeary wrote:

I made the Muntons Cervesa in my LBK..

http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/prem_cerveza.htm

I used most of the can of the hopped extract, and no added sugar or malt, and filled the LBK to the top of the Q.

The end result is WAY over bitter, especially for a cervesa. I would say the EBU is about 75, not the 45-55 it's supposed to be.

I've made the Coopers Cervesa four or five times, the Mrs likes it alot.

Each time I've measured out 1.25 LBS of the HME and added 1.25 LBS of the Briess Golden Light LME or Briess Sparkling Ambler LME.

Everytime it's been a winner...

Each time I've measured out 1.25 LBS of the HME and added 1.25 LBS of the Briess Golden Light LME or Briess Sparkling Ambler LME.

Pretty sure the original question was....

"Has anyone used a Coopers or Muntons beer kit and made 2-2.5 gallons in MRB keg. You know use whole kit no dme or dextrose. If so how did it turn out"

tspeary wrote:

Pretty sure the original question was....

"Has anyone used a Coopers or Muntons beer kit and made 2-2.5 gallons in MRB keg. You know use whole kit no dme or dextrose. If so how did it turn out"

And I was making a comment. Don't have to be Fellini to figure out that putting a 6 Gallon mix into a 2.5 gallon container will not turn out very well...

I used one of the Cervesa 3.3lb cans (don't remember if it was Muntons or Coopers) in a LBK batch. Since the cans are hopped for a 5gal batch, the hop bite was a bit much as ts stated.

I did drink a few early and wasn't real fond of the taste. I did find that after 6 months, the bite eased a bit and it turned out to be a nice beer. I just recently drank the last of the batch after about a year and it was really good.

Moral of story - You may need to condition batches made from these types of LMEs (which are really HMEs) a good while before they are optimal.

What did you add to the Dark Ale? I followed the directions, added sugar, and I'm STILL conditioning it.

realracer2 wrote:

I like the Coopers cans. I have a Coopers Dark ale and a Coopers Draught in lbk's right now. With a can of Coopers English Bitter, and lager waiting to brew.

I tried Coopers after I had brewed Mr Beers seasonal beers. I could not go back to Mr Beers premium refills after brewing the seasonal's.

I was looking for something cheaper than the Mr Beer seasonal's so tried Coopers. The first Cooper's beer I tried was the Dark ale, my son said it was the best beer I had made so far.

I have not tried the Munton's yet. Munton cans, can be bought singly or in 2 packs. I have read mixed reviews on the Munton cans. I guess like all home brew it is up to each individuals tastes.

When I use the Cooper's cans in the Mr Beer keg I add nothing to them except the yeast. Adding sugar if I understand the Coopers instructions correctly is for making a 5 gallon batch, and there is enough malt in the can to ferment quite well in a LBK.

It is interesting that on the Aussie Home Brew forum they make what they call Toucans, 2 Cooper's cans plus sugar, hops and other ingredients in a 5 gallon batch. It would seem to me that if as some people say that using a Coopers can in a Mr Beer keg is over hopping , that these Toucan brews would really be over hopped also, but the Aussies seem to like them.

But like I said in a earlier post maybe it is just my taste buds and I like the taste of a beer with a lot of hops, although when I have made the Coopers cans they have never seemed bitter to me.

I am probably going to bottle the Coopers Dark ale, and the Coopers Draft next week after 3 weeks in the LBK.

I am going to try to get one of the Munton kits with 2 cans for 5 gallons, using just one can might workout better in the Mr Beer keg, but so far I really have had no problem using One Cooper's can getting good tasting beer.

Yeah this was a 5 gallon batch. I've read before that 1 can in an LBK is way over concentrated. But if you've had success with Dark Ale with no additions in an LBK before, I'll try it!

Cooper's big cans of 3.75 hopped LME are meant to be combined with an additional 3 pounds of unhopped LME for a 5 gallon batch. You can split both cans between 2 LBKs and you should be fine. I am going to do this.

In response to the original question, I did the Coopers English Bitter, splitting the 3.75 lb can between 2 LBKs.

The first batch used 1/2 can CEB, 1 lb. Muntons Extra light DME 1/2 of the included Coopers Ale yeast, rehydrated in sterile water prior to pitching. OG was 1.046; FG was 1.010 (4.725%ABV); dry hopped after 1 week fermentation with 1/2 oz UK Challenger. Total fermentation time was 3 wks.

The second batch used the other 1/2 can CEB, 1 can Mellow Amber UME and the 1/2 of the Coopers Ale yeast. OG was 1.054; FG was 1.014 (5.25%ABV). Dry-hopped with 1/2 oz Fuggles after 1 week; total time in LBK was 3 wks.

Both batches took about 36 hours to really get ripping; so may use more yeast next time. Both were batch primed with dextrose (~50g each), and carbonation is spot-on. I was a bit over the 8.5 qt mark on both and got 23 full bottles each batch.

These are excellent brews! If I was forced to pick one, I'd have to say the second batch with the MrB UME and Fuggles is just a wee bit better, but I would take either; drank them side-by-side, and I liked everything about them: color, taste, bitterness, head. I paid 17.95 for the can at LHBS, and with the other ingredients, they're a little bit cheaper than MrB. I would definitely do again. Love those English bitters and brown ales!

@woodbikefish: The bitter kits split as you described above are also quite good with Goldings. I like them with Goldings and Fuggles and it's always tough for me to decide which to use. When I do a bitter kit split like this I always buy an extra 7g pack of Coopers or Muntons Gold yeast and pitch a whole pack in each batch. Usually they are going in 24 hours. You might want to pick up a pack of Muntons Gold yeast (make sure it's GOLD), and use the whole pack of Coopers in one and the whole pack of Gold in the other. See which one you like better. I have found that I like Muntons Gold yeast or Danstar Windsor better then Coopers yeast in general. The Coopers is more fruity, the Muntons and Windsor are more spicy/bready, just depends on what you like.