Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmoore4556

Need insight with very odd outcome

I have a very odd looking beer fermenting. Brewed this just for the fun of it and as an experiment with some extra stuff laying around, so I'm not heartbroken about its odd outcome, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to how this happened.

Classic American Blonde Ale HME + Booster + 1 can of blueberries
4g MB yeast
OG=1.041
Brewed: WED, Nov 2
Honey Adjunct 1 cup Nov 8

Just took a gravity reading ~1.012

It's the color and consistency of grapefruit juice. This was my first time using the canned oregon fruit. I know the malt/adjunct ratio is skewed, but would that have this sort of an effect?

The trub is lacking its normal characteristics. Its there, but not as dense and pure looking. It's got blueberry flakes. Did I not puree the blueberries enough?

edit your pic so its no more than 500x500 pixels

EDIT: I am sure the blueberries are lending to the color. This is a VERY high adjunct beer as you know and will require MANY weeks to condition and at least 3 weeks to ferment. Keep your expectations tempered.

Trub can be heavy and thick to thin and light nothing to worry about as long as you have trub.

hope it all turns out :cheers:

Is your issue with the color? I would expect the coloring to be darker because of the blueberries. However, if you did not puree the fruit before adding to the keg I would expect that coloration.

Your OG is ok. Keep it in the keg for another weeks - 3 is preferable.

P.S: Men of Mayhem, baby!

I'm confused exactly what are your issues? Is it the color of the beer? The consistency of the beer? The consistency of the wort? I guess maybe I'm just kinda slow but I'm confused about what your asking.

You made cider with a little malt in it.

It's going to be thin, pale colored and not taste very good for a long while.

OK, first, I apologize for the ridiculous picture. I took it with my phone and thats the only way I could get it on there. Technology hates me.

As for the wort, its very watery. The picture is accurate. Pinkish too. The issue is I've never seen pink beer and that worries me haha. My girlfriend will love it.

And amennn to the men of mayhem BugLaden

Kealia wrote:

You made cider with a little malt in it.

It's going to be thin, pale colored and not taste very good for a long while.

Haha, ouch. Is it even worth taking up my bottles forever or should I just dump it?

I'd keep it...if nothing else, you can see how adjuncts can affect beer. It could be a great brew. It just may take a number of months to get there.

Dont toss it!

I would NEVER toss a batch until after it's conditioned for the recommended time and it's just terrible.

How does it taste now? Bottle it! See what happens!

It tastes sour like very mild grapefruit/rotten citrus juice with alcohol in it. And pretty bad...I can't imagine trying to swallow it.

As for the ridiculous amount of adjuncts...I saw a recipe on MB that involved the same ratio, so I figured it'd be ok to try. I had the CABA HME sitting around and I didn't see myself using it so I gave it a go in an extra LBK I've got. The only difference from the MB recipe was the HME used. I think it called for the high country canadian.

I'll keep it. Its been in the LBK two weeks. Leave it in there for how long?

Another week then bottle. I'm thinking it would have been good without the booster. You'll probably need to give it a good 2 months to condition, at least. Its also possible that it got infected if you added the honey straight to the beer after the week of fermenting without sanitizing it. The taste is probably due to the fact that you added the Honey late so its really only had a week to ferment the honey. The yeast could be dead as well. That is a small packet of yeast for all those adjuncts. If you have more yeast I would pitch another packet and let it got for a bit longer. Worst case scenario is that the new packet of yeast helps clean things up.

I would wait another week then bottle it up. Then your probably going to need to give it at least 2 to 3 months in the bottle at room temperature before it is drinkable. It may come out a good beer, but I am betting you are going to be less than thrilled with it. FYI, I did one similar to the one you did and it took a solid 3 months in the bottle before I could say it was a "decent" tasting beer.