Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PBbrew

Room Temperature in South Florida??

Hi Everyone,

This is my first brew and first post.

I've read a huge amount of info, and great advice.
But I'm still having problem understading "Room Temperature".

It seems different at different times in the process.

Room Temperature in South Florida without the A/C running wide open is about 78 deg F @ 95% Hunidity with peaks to above 80 F.

Would it be wise to consider Room Temperature in my case 70 deg F ?

And use a cooling system of some kind to achive this temperature?

I think I'm on the right track??

Thanks

Welcome PBbrew!!

You will want to keep your keg under 70 in my opinion. In your case, you will prob need to place the keg in a cooler with couple ice bottles,rotating them out daily. If you don have a stick on thermometer on your keg, you should get one. MrB has one on their site.

Too high of a temp will create strong alcohol flavors that are not pleasant.

Keep us posted!!

Welcome! :chug:

Good to see some more South Florida brewers here! The environment can be a challenge as fermentation likes temperatures lower than we typically see. I use a cooler with ice packs and can pretty easily keep a steady 66 degrees. Another option (which I'll go to eventually) is to use a spare fridge with a separate controller to maintain the temperature where you want it.

And while cooler temperatures can be beneficial throughout the whole process, keeping the keg at a lower temperature for the first 5-7 days is most critical. Once bottled, I leave everything at house temperature, which is 78 degrees for a large part of the year, with no problems.

Cheers!

Welcome. Another trick is to put the keg in a cake pan and fill with water just below the spigot. Then put frozen water bottles in the pan. Put a T shirt over the keg so it's touching the water. Change out the frozen water bottles as needed. Brew On

gophers6 wrote:

Welcome. Another trick is to put the keg in a cake pan and fill with water just below the spigot. Then put frozen water bottles in the pan. Put a T shirt over the keg so it's touching the water. Change out the frozen water bottles as needed. Brew On

i will guess that with higher humidity levels stated, this may not work so well though

PBbrew wrote:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first brew and first post.

I've read a huge amount of info, and great advice.
But I'm still having problem understading "Room Temperature".

It seems different at different times in the process.

Room Temperature in South Florida without the A/C running wide open is about 78 deg F @ 95% Hunidity with peaks to above 80 F.

Would it be wise to consider Room Temperature in my case 70 deg F ?

And use a cooling system of some kind to achive this temperature?

I think I'm on the right track??

Thanks

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center PBbrew. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

When we say "room temp" for carbination/conditioning...that generally means 70 or so degrees. Higher is ok as the beer has pasted it's critical point. I live in South Texas...I know high temps and humidity. Just find a nice dark spot in your house, and leve it alone for at least a month. Then start testing a bottle and when it seems good, then there you have it.

For the initial fermentation portion, um, that's a little more tuff. Some use dedicated fridges with Johnson controllers (you adjust the temp to your liking..like 65*f) and you place your keg there. Others use ice chests with frozen bottles...it all depends on your allowed Boy Toy Cash.

As in most cases when it comes to producing a beer you like, there may not be any ONE correct answer. The Hat came up with a good motto: if you like it, you did it right. Hard to beat that logic.
Hey FedoraDave...here's another post you have to catch up on :P

Originally from Miami (heading back today for Thanksgiving). The cooler idea will work for the fall and winter. But starting in late April I will invest in an old fridge and a johnson temp controller in order to survive the summer temps especially for fermenting.

Good Luck and Happy Brewing!!

Wow,
Thank you all for the Rapid Response!

OK,
"Room Temperature" is a generic term and is dependent on local conditions.
Got It!
But the correct temperature for fermenting must be achieved by some means.
The controlled fridge method is preferred in warmer climates.
Got it!
And cooling the wort is most important.
By means of cooling pans seems to be an easy tool.
OK!

I'll give these Ideas a try.

Cheers!

Temperature problem solved!

Modified Igloo coolmate 40.
Added a Johnson Controller.
Cools down to 42*F
:cheer:

Thanks for the inspiration.

LBK fits just right.

I'd like to find a locking spigot that's not as long as the optional MB model. :)DSCI0321b.jpg

These are my Hurricane/Blackout coolers.
Now with Dual Purpose...

I added a wireless refrigerator/freezer monitor, with alarms.
I need to get another controller for the bottom cooler, it's running continuously right now.

cheers!! :laugh: DSCI0327b.jpg

Had to breakout the second cooler.
Split the bottles between the two.

The coolmate is a a bit small. Can only fit 15 16oz bottles in each cooler. DSCI0335b.jpg

Great stuff!! Is there a spigot at all or did you rig something else. I ask bc I have a wine fridge I can use bur the lbk will not fit with any spigot. If I can rig something flat I would be able to truly lager during the summer!!

PBbrew wrote:

These are my Hurricane/Blackout coolers.
Now with Dual Purpose...

I added a wireless refrigerator/freezer monitor, with alarms.
I need to get another controller for the bottom cooler, it's running continuously right now.

cheers!! :laugh: DSCI0327b.jpg

Great stuff, quality work!

Where did you find the refridgerator/freezer monitor?

And are the powered coolers still available?

HYRLUV wrote:

Great stuff!! Is there a spigot at all or did you rig something else. I ask bc I have a wine fridge I can use bur the lbk will not fit with any spigot. If I can rig something flat I would be able to truly lager during the summer!!

Remove spigot, install SS Bolt & Nut with rubber washers from spigots. try to get bold the same diamiter as spigot. :huh:

Thanks for the positive comments,

The LBK fits in the cooler with the original spigot attached.
The cooler has no spigot and is not ice friendly.

The coolers are thermoelectric Igloo Coolmate 40 .
They are quite old. They may still be available off the net, but may cost a bit more, these were refurbs, about 70 bucks.

Koolatron still has a model, but check the dimensions closely.

I got the Temperature monitor from amazon.
Temp monitor
The temp monitor is a good ambient temp indication.
Hi and Lo alarms can be set for each channel.
And logs highest and lowest temps for each channel.

I have since added a stick thermometer through the LBK lid to read fermenting temperature directly... thanks to Screwy..
It's hard to see the stick-ons when the LBK is in the cooler.

I still want to rig something through the side of the cooler as not to have to lift the LBK out to rack or bottle.

:)DSCI0367b.jpg

Thanks Dag, I try a test run with a LBK full of water to see what happens!

UPDATE......

The LBK fits in the Thermoelectic coolers just fine with the NEW Spigots from MR. BEER installed.

Great new spigot... Thanks Mr. Beer..

Given the crazy hot weather the last couple of weeks and an unexpected need to have a cooler in the car for a few hours. I picked up one of these Igloo Cool Chill 40 with 110V Converter (40-Quart, Mercury) based on this thread. I found it on sale so I figured what the heck. So it seems you can still get these new. I have it hooked up for the first time without a temperature controller as a dry run just to see how cool it can get. then I will add the controller.

PBbrew - what did you use to mount the controller on the side?

Thanks

Sam

"PBbrew" post=202607 said:

Temperature problem solved!

Modified Igloo coolmate 40.
Added a Johnson Controller.
Cools down to 42*F
:cheer:

Thanks for the inspiration.

When you say "Modified Igloo coolmate 40", what did you need to modify?

Thanks

Sam

Sam,

The Igloo Thermoelectric cooler will get down to 35F in ideal conditions. Your mileage my vary.

The Controller is mounted with two, 1/2 inch, #8 pan head sheet metal screws. The side of the cooler is plenty thick. Only use two screws at the top of the controller, don't twist the controller base.

Drill a 3/8 inch hole for the Temperature probe. Fasten the probe inside with #8 screws and Eyelet style nylon ties. Seal the hole with caulk.

The other thing you will need is a thermometer of some kind inside the cooler to show the ambient temperature.

I have two coolers running on controllers, with a wireless Refrigerator/Freezer Temperature monitor mounted to the front of the cooler with velcro. see previous post.

Works GREAT, I have made Seven batches this way.

Good Luck

Vince

New photos of Nude LBK in Igloo Thermoelectric cooler.

Perv the Krausen!

Cheers! :gulp:

[attachment=8453]DSCI0658b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=8454]DSCI0659b.jpg[/attachment]

Hmm.. I could use this. But I'd need to buy new spigots. Doesn't look like my old locking spigot would fit.

So I live in Florida also, Panhandle to be more specific and I have been brewing my first batch of beer. I brewed a stout and let it ferment for 3 weeks and bottled it tonight. My question is I have kept it at 75 degree as the guide said to keep fermenting temperature below 76 and so I kept it 74/75 the whole time. I tasted tested it tonight and it tasted like flat yummy beer. Now i am worried after reading this my beer ma be "bad" b/c of the high temps during fermentation? Is this going to be true :/ Thanks for any and all info :)

"Jernut" post=274298 said:

So I live in Florida also, Panhandle to be more specific and I have been brewing my first batch of beer. I brewed a stout and let it ferment for 3 weeks and bottled it tonight. My question is I have kept it at 75 degree as the guide said to keep fermenting temperature below 76 and so I kept it 74/75 the whole time. I tasted tested it tonight and it tasted like flat yummy beer. Now i am worried after reading this my beer ma be "bad" b/c of the high temps during fermentation? Is this going to be true :/ Thanks for any and all info :)

Welcome to another Florida brewer! Were those temps air temp or wort temp? In any event, at this point it's a wait and see game. I don't know the recipe you brewed, but stouts generally like longer conditioning times anyway, so if you end up with some esters or 'hot alcohol' flavors you may be able to condition them out.

Cheers!

Thanks for the response. That was air temp. I was going to condition for 2 weeks and then 2 weeks in fridge ... This sound ok.? Logical? Was going to also keep trying a beer every week after to see how it tasted being left longer periods i

The wort temperature will be several degrees above ambient during fermentation, so you were definitely warmer than ideal. You can try one at two weeks and judge for yourself, but I would expect you'll need a couple of months. And keep them at room temp while conditioning, then a few days to a week in the fridge.

Welcome to the forum! I have one of those coolers, never thought to use it for my brewing, ingenious! :banana:

I am using my Igloo cooler for the first time. I brewed yesterday, set the controller for 68 degrees and left it alone until this morning. This morning when I checked the air temp was 68, but using an infrared thermometer the LBK was 74 degrees. :ohmy: I know the LBK gets warmer when it is fermenting, but I was surprised it got and stayed that warm. I knocked the controller back to 62 degrees. This afternoon the temp of the LBK via infrared thermometer was 67 degrees. whew! :cheer:

For this attempt it looks like the LBK is running 5-6 degrees warmer than air temp. I was expecting 2 to 4 degrees. Any way food for thought for those trying this.

:cheers:

Sam,

Yeah, It can be a bit tricky.

I only use the scale on the Johnson controllers to get in the ballpark, then adjust high or low as needed using the Fridge monitor and the Stick temperature probe in the lid if the LBK.

The Fridge Monitor logs the Ambient High and Low temps and has Alarms that can be set to alert you of a cooler failure.

http://www.amazon.com/Chaney-Refrigerator-Freezer-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B004QJVU78/ref=pd_sim_k_1

I have two Monitored coolers, One for Fermenting, One for Conditioning.

Or like now, two fermenting at different temperatures.

Good Luck!

:chug: