Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tin Man

Central Kentucky (and/or Cincinnati, Ohio)?

I live near Lexington, KY, but drive back and forth through Cincinnati to Dayton and Columbus all the time. Reply if interested in talking, tasting, trading, beer.

:cheers:

Tin Man

not to be a butthead....but i thought home brewing was illeagal in kentucky, i remember when i lived there the local police said it was 1996-2000 is when i lived there so... :(

Interesting. Thanks for scaring the crap out of me!! :ohmy:

Actually, there are local home brew supply stores all over the place which would lead one to believe it's legal, but just to double check I went to the link below. Apparently KY does not have a law one way or the other dealing with homebrewing, so we default to federal law. Does say we're not supposed to gift or share our homebrew so if any of mine ends up in someone else's hands we must conclude it was stolen. ;)

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/kentucky

Tin Man

Tin Man wrote:

Actually, there are local home brew supply stores all over the place which would lead one to believe it's legal

That's not necessarily a valid assumption. Alcohol related laws are really odd. Until 2009, it was illegal to brew in Utah. But there has been a home brew store since about 1994. And I remember seeing home brewing kits here (probably Mr Beer) not too long after I moved here (1993).

The thing is that most brewing supplies have other uses. Malted grains (including malt extract) can be used in baking, extracts can be used as syrup for pancakes, etc. Yeast is used in baking pretty regularly. Carboys can be used for water. Hops are used in carbonated beverages (such as Malta and Julmust) and are sometimes used in teas. They can also be used as homeopathic herbal medicines.

Interestingly, most brewing ingredients can be taxed at a lower (food) rate in Utah (although not all stores follow this).

So up until 2009, you could buy, own and possess all the ingredients and equipment needed to make beer. It was only illegal to use them to make beer.

but just to double check I went to the link below. Apparently KY does not have a law one way or the other dealing with homebrewing, so we default to federal law.

Much better indication that it's okay.

blackpowderbrews wrote:

I'm in the Louisville area, would love to swap....but thats illegal, wouldnt wanna break the law, right? ;)

I visit Louisville once in a while, have relatives there. But they are Teetotalistic fundies who think Jesus rode on a dinasaur, so I don't know what they would think about me bringing along home brew. I'm sure they wouldn't let me put it in their fridge, so I'd have to drag along a cooler or something...

i know for a fact that kentucky is a wet/dry state. in otherwords the people in each county have to vote yes/no if they want a wet or dry county. When i lived in kentucky it was in laurel county (home of saunders caffe aka KFC) and it was a dry county so maybe thats why huh?