Mr.Beer Community
DesreveR

Northern Indiana/South West Michigan

I got some friends around north Indiana, I'll get um to hook up !

Old thread, but I'll bump it rather than start a new one. I'm in the St. Joe area and just decided to drag my LBK out after having it since oh, 1998* or so! Never used it, but watching the videos and reading around here and other places has convinced that I'll most likely want to kick my own rear end for missing the last 15 years of home brewing. I started drinking "real beer" around 1997 when I worked with a pharmacist who was a home brewer. I have appreciated and sought out good beer since then, but I have slummed it as well when the paycheck wouldn't support the good stuff.

Anyway, looking forward to brewing and meeting some more like-minded folks. A local hobby shop has a get together once or twice a year, which I will now start hitting.

*In the interest of honesty, I figured I would correct this. I dug into my kit and found the mix that came with it and saw it had an expiration date of 2006. The instructions had a 2002 copyright date. So that means that I most likely bought it in 2003 or 2004. The older refill was from a friend who didn't use and thought I might do something with it. But I still should have started brewing back in the late '90s!

Welcome to the forum C-ya! I live near Kalamazoo and have been using Mr. Beer for 3 years now. I have had good luck with almost all of the

recipes and refills. I have been wanting to get over to Greenbush for a while to try a few, but I haven't made it there yet. I saw them in

the Michigan Beer Film. Great movie that showcased local Michigan breweries and hop farms. You will love your beer when you get some made,

but the most valuable piece of advice I can give you is to have patience! 3 weeks in the keg at 67 to 72 degrees and 4 weeks or more at room

temp to carbonate and condition. Good luck and Cheers!

Thanks, Hazelnut!  I have had a couple of the Greenbush brews at some of our local bars.  Sawyer is just down the road from me and I have yet to go there.  I want to try their bbq.  I have heard good things about it.  If you make it over this way, let me know and we can buy each other a beer.

• Like 1

Was just over on the west side for the GLEXPO (agriculture show) in Grand Rapids learning more about beer (hops), wine (grapes), and cider (apples).  I think the last time I actually stopped at St. Jo's was two or three years ago when people were swimming in Lake Michigan on April Fool's Day.  No icy lighthouse that time!

I used to get to GR once a month, but that ended about 2 1/2 years ago when I retired (USNR).  Since then, I've been through there on 96/131 once heading north (and back home) last month when we went up to Boyne Falls.

I've lived in MI since June of '03, and I think I have been swimming in the lake 4 or 5 times.  Water stays too cold for me!  I like fishing in it and on it, though.

I've lived in MI since June of '03, and I think I have been swimming in the lake 4 or 5 times.  Water stays too cold for me!  I like fishing in it and on it, though.

Shoot, that is a heat filled spring compared with The Lady (ie Lake Superior).  Swam to a lighthouse once and took several hours to warm up enough to even contemplate swimming back.  And that was after being buzzed by a Coast Guard plane telling us to get the heck off.   :o

I grew up in FL and swam in a crystal spring in the summer that was 72F year round, and that was cold! No polar bear plunges for me unless I'm getting paid!

• Like 2

Allegan, MI here! I'm bi-coastal (half-way between Grand Rapids & Kalamazoo). New to brewing and very excited to taste my second batch - Mexican Aztec.

• Like 1

Howdy, urh! We'll have to meet up sometime and trade brews.

Welcome, Aaron! Until you get your pipeline going, the waiting is the hardest part.

former Detroit boy here. me and the guys once drove out to Kensington and took a dip in waters with white caps on them once. cured me of any polar bear urges I might have had!  I would NEVER set foot in lake superior!!! good night celeste, that's just crazy! (especially in November!)

now I am doing 'time' in florida.. until I hit the lotto then who knows where life will take me and my wife.

zorak, what part of FL are you in?  I was born and raised there.  Born in the south and raised in north central (went to school in Branford).  Spent a few years over near Jax while in (and after) the Navy.  Still have family there, both my side and my wife's side.  Just don't get to visit near as often as we'd like.