Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
G2gibson

All Mr Beer recipes have a common "base" taste

Recommended Posts

I am not new to Mr Beer, but also not a master. I have been brewing about 6 months now, have 3 kegs and 4 sets of liter bottles. I have for the most part stuck to the stock recipes (standard, deluxe & premium) and I am just now trying hops, fruit, spices etc. One thing that I have noticed is that all the recipes have the same "base" taste. It's not bad, but they all have a more heavy or malty taste as compared to the crispy taste of store bought beer. I have not experimented with different yeasts yet, but plan to.

Do any of you "masters" out there have any suggestions for changing it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Welcome to the Borg!

Many have noticed this, I don't know where to say it comes from exactly. I don't use much MrB yeast, I prefer US-05, or other strains depending on what I'm brewing. If you don't have other options, try using 2 or 3 packs of MrB yeast per batch. U said u're starting to use hops, that's a good way to make it different. Try for some bittering hops, but don't overdo it. Learn to use DME if u're not already, then go from there. Nothing wrong with using booster, but go easy with it, that and sugars. Watch the adjunct levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest trying some different yeasts. I think that the basis of these issues is the low amount of yeast you are given when brewing these beers. When yeast is stressed by not providing enough it can give off flavors. Its possible this is some of the issue.

Could also be the fact that they are extracts. I've heard of some people complaining about a twang from using HMEs.

I've found that the best way around this is to eliminate the booster and use DME instead of LME. Also to try adding a different yeast, such as US-05 or S-04.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the sam yeast in all batches would likely be the one thing causing this. Many claim a "MRB Taste" As for the heavy or malty taste, I assume you mean sweet when you say malty and by doing a 20 min hop boil addition would add some more hop flavor and a touch bitterness to offset the sweetness.

Different yeast adds a different dimenson as well. know the style your brewing and choose a new yeast that would complment the style. This is a great way to learn more about the different strains.

What store bought are you referring to as "crispy"? Knowing this will help understand what your looking for.

Welcome and :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in denial about this until two days ago. I have been brewing with MB for over 6 months and I have done about 10 batches. Two days ago I tried my most recently bottled batch and it was my best yet, and quite frankly, one of the best beers I've ever had. The sad part is that it was such a simple recipe. I split 3 cans of MB Golden Lager between two kegs and added a pouch of booster to each keg. I also split the 3 packs of MB yeast between the two batches, so each batch contained 1.5 cans of MB Golden Lager, 1 pouch of Booster, and 3 grams of Fromunda yeast. What else did I do differently? I kept the temperatures low for 3 weeks in the fermenters, I cold crashed for 3-4 days in the fridge before bottling, and what I think is the two most important things....I let the wort cool down in the fermenters for 2 days tucked in an ice chest with ice packs before pitching the yeast, and I aerated the wort like crazy before pitching the yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of things come to mind. Since you mention the crispy taste of store bought beer, it may be that you prefer lagers to ales. Ales tend to have more esters, which can give a different taste to the beer. You can try making a true lager, but lagers take longer and require more precise temperature control. An alternative is to use a "cleaner" yeast, like US-05 (available at Mr Beer) or Nottingham (not available at Mr Beer) and brew near the low end of the temperature range (but give it more time).

Also, many of the big breweries use rice to increase the alcohol level. It doesn't add to the flavor, but does thin it out. You can't just use rice, though, you'd need to use something like rice syrup or rice syrup solids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The character of different extract brands can differ widely. While it may be something of a heresy to say it here, you may wish to try using DME or another brand of LME if the "base" taste you describe is not to your liking. Using unhopped extracts opens up a whole new world of brewing. You can be completely in charge of your beer doing your own hopping and tailoring your own malt profiles. Almost any style of beer can be made from the lightest of extracts. Briess (and I imagine many others) will tell you exactly what malts go into their extracts, although usually not the exact proportions. It's a bit more effort, but in my estimation well worth it. I don't use HME's at all anymore, except on the rare occasions when someone gives me one as a gift; and even then I find I like my own concoctions better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G2gibson wrote:

One thing that I have noticed is that all the recipes have the same "base" taste.


I will agree somewhat, a lot of MRB's refills taste a lot alike (& not saying they're bad). I cant't tell a lot of diff between Cowboy Golden or High Country Canadian, same as BRA or ENB. I've brewed all the base recipies straight up. As others have said, once you start using different yeast, a hop boil with different types of hops, and some DME from a ouside supplier, you'll see a big change in taste.

Oh and Welcome to the forum, you come to the right place to learn how to make great beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is just the "Mr Beer taste". I have brewed several batches straight up, I have also done several batches where I have done hop boils, used different yeasts, different types of bottled water and just about everything I can think of to get rid of the "Mr Beer taste" but it is there in every batch. It's not a bad taste, but just a taste I have never had in store bought beers. I believe it is something in the Mr Beer HMEs because that is the only thing that each and every batch I have done has in common.
I am brewing an IPA later this week and for the first time I will be only ingredients bought from my LHBS and no Mr Beer stuff. I guess that will tell me if my suspicions are correct or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ G2gibson, Welcome to the borg. As you can see, knowledgeable and helpful bunch here. Keep posting. Keep brewing.

:charlie:

Tin Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

...it may be that you prefer lagers to ales...


I think bpgreen hits the nail on the head, what you describe "as they all have a more heavy or malty taste as compared to the crispy taste of store bought beer"

A real lager is a bit more trouble but try US-05 fermented at 60-65 with a light beer recipe and see what you think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The_Professor wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

...it may be that you prefer lagers to ales...


I think bpgreen hits the nail on the head, what you describe "as they all have a more heavy or malty taste as compared to the crispy taste of store bought beer"

A real lager is a bit more trouble but try US-05 fermented at 60-65 with a light beer recipe and see what you think.


Mr Professor, talking about hitting the nail, you are close to being right on. 05 yeast, clean. Low temps clean. light malt mix, clean. Maybe that's what G2gibson is trying to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I am very familiar with the taste that G2Gibson and Boe1971 describe. I altered every variable with my MB beers until I concluded with certainty that it is their extracts. Curiously, not everyone tastes it. Neither my wife, nor our surrogate son, nor his brother, nor my uncle, nor for that matter many people on this forum seem to notice it. Some, like me, have a very low threshold for tasting whatever it is in the extracts that imparts this flavor. Much as I hate to say it on this forum, the Mr.Beer "twang" is very real to some of us, and it is not the yeast. I generally try to dance around the subject when it comes up; but there it is. If G2 and Boe were to try a different extract (and make sure it is fresh, the "twang" can come from old extract), I think they would find the taste they describe is gone. As for me, that is the reason I no longer use MB extracts; and I have never had the same taste in a beer that was brewed with other brands or all grain.

I'm not trying to knock MB here, I owe them a debt of gratitude for starting my brewing career; and a lot of people genuinely like the beers they make with MB extracts. Unfortunately, there is something about most of their extracts in common, that I and some others just do not find palatable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oly wrote:

...Much as I hate to say it on this forum, the Mr.Beer "twang" is very real...


I believe you. I had it on some, not all, of my early brews.
I have seen discussions focus on yeast, hops, extract, and booster as the reason. I have never seen the real answer.
I was following along with the "twang" theme in some replies until I read bpgreen's reply and re-read the original post. If it really is a "crispness" rather than "off flavor" the OP misses, then bpgreen is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G2gibson wrote:

...Do any of you "masters" out there have any suggestions for changing it up?

Welcome aboard The Obsession G2gibson! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

After brewing Ptarmigan Pale Ale a number of times I decided to break ranks with the official MB recipe and substitute it with a few of my own ingredient choices, and I was really glad I did.

I called my version Ptarmigedan because it marked the end of brewing only using the directions and ingredients that ship with the MB recipes. I used 11.5 g Fermentis Safale US-05™ Dry Yeast at 68°-72°F instead of the fromunda yeast, steeped some Crystal Malt to add color, sweetness, lacing and head retention and then took a daring step by dry hopping with some Cascade hops, but the results were well worth it.

Ptarmigan Pale Ale - With A Twist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

A couple of things come to mind. Since you mention the crispy taste of store bought beer, it may be that you prefer lagers to ales.

I think yopu may have nailed it, bp.

In addition to this you have to remember that our Mr Beer brews - and all home brews for that matter - have something in them that the store-bought brews don't: Yeast. The store-bought beers have filtered the yeast out of their beers before they bottled them. I believe this adds to the "same-ness" of tastes in the Mr Beer brews. I've also found that as the brew sits in the glass and breaths and comes up to room temperature that the different flavors come out and the uniqueness of the brew appears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center G2gibson. You will be Assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

No point in me thumpin' this horse...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The_Professor wrote:

oly wrote:

...Much as I hate to say it on this forum, the Mr.Beer "twang" is very real...


I believe you. I had it on some, not all, of my early brews.
I have seen discussions focus on yeast, hops, extract, and booster as the reason. I have never seen the real answer.
I was following along with the "twang" theme in some replies until I read bpgreen's reply and re-read the original post. If it really is a "crispness" rather than "off flavor" the OP misses, then bpgreen is right.

I'm not saying this because he agreed with me, but to put things in perspective.

The professor may be new to this forum, but he has been brewing for at least a year longer than I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" use rice to increase the alcohol level ?"
" rice syrup or rice syrup solids.? "

rice comes in syrup form ?????

Anything white is starch : white rice, white bread, white potatoes, white milk. all produce sugar once consumed, makes since ! But "rice syrup a thick viscous liquid ? "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JV wrote:

" use rice to increase the alcohol level ?"
" rice syrup or rice syrup solids.? "

rice comes in syrup form ?????

Anything white is starch : white rice, white bread, white potatoes, white milk. all produce sugar once consumed, makes since ! But "rice syrup a thick viscous liquid ? "

The key to what you are saying here is that starches are broken down into sugars once consumed. Yeast do not consume starch. As with any starchy adjunct, rice must be cooked, and mashed with barley or another amylase enzyme source in order for it's starches to be broken down into fermentable sugars. Rice syrup and rice syrup solids can be likened to corn syrup and corn syrup solids. It is what is left of the rice's starch when broken down into sugars, and is what you would need to use when brewing extract based beers, unless of course you want to go to the bother of a mash. Simply adding starch to a beer will only give you a starchy beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree, not all recipes taste the same. Make the AD IPA & the PH Pils & you won't find it. Same thing with Witty Monk & Porter + many more. I believe that there are possible culprits in the process. One Step leaves a film that then leaves a taste in small batches. Same goes for the yeast. Table sugar for priming can also leave a twang if the yeast was stressed which is most likely with the small amounts used for the basic recipes. 2 grams is too little.
Like everybody says, add DME, hop boils, dry hops, steeping grains, more yeast & try Star-San for sanitizing & Powdered Brewery Wash For keg cleaning. Cheers - :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta agree with you labelman... I mean, we are talking about beer, so obviously there are going to be some similarities. But when I taste a standard brewed Black Tower Porter, Vienna Lager, and HCCD side by side, for example, I do not get, "Oh, this has the same base taste, that is somehow unique to MR, but different from all other brews." Especially when you start considering the differences contributed by the Pale Export, Mellow Amber and Creamy Brown UMEs.

:charlie:

Tin Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, there are many potential causes for the Mr Beer Twang. I have not noticed it in any of my brews since I switched to Safale 0-5 or 0-4 yeast, cooled the wort to below 70 degrees before pitching, and fermented at 65-68 degrees. I usually do use Mr Beer HMEs as a base but add DME, steeping grains and a hop boil with most of my beers now, so that could be playing a role as well. Interestingly, I have not noticed the twang in any of the seasonals, and they generally do not use the stock Fromunda yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

docpd wrote:

As others have said, there are many potential causes for the Mr Beer Twang. I have not noticed it in any of my brews since I switched to Safale 0-5 or 0-4 yeast, cooled the wort to below 70 degrees before pitching, and fermented at 65-68 degrees. I usually do use Mr Beer HMEs as a base but add DME, steeping grains and a hop boil with most of my beers now, so that could be playing a role as well. Interestingly, I have not noticed the twang in any of the seasonals, and they generally do not use the stock Fromunda yeast.

FWIW, I have never noticed something I'd call "twang" but I've never pitched less then 6 grams of fromunda either, nor have I ever pitched it above 70 degrees, and I only use fromunda in beers where I think the flavor profile is appropriate (yes I do think there are some, some english ales, I actually like it in Wicked Monk, and some others).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the only time i have noticed the "twang" is from my first batch of beer. the one that came with the kit, WCPA, and that was it. i only used one pack of yeast, because i did not know any different. it wasnt until just before my second batch that i found this forum and learned that more Mr Beer yeast is better. But i used different yeast all together and i have not had the "twang" since. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

My fermenting temperatures are as low as 66 and as high as 70 but usually in the 66 to 68 range. I ferment in my downstairs bathroom which is dark, cool, and never used. I have the heat vent blocked off so no warm air comes in to raise the temperature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:


What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

I think what people describe as extract twang is specific to LMEs, but the only time I thought I tasted anything off was with old cans of extract which had darkened and oxidized a bit. The Mr. Beer stuff always seems pretty fresh to me, and I've never noticed anything I'd call twang. I get my LME in bulk, and it's always very fresh, and I don't notice anything with it. DME, no matter how old, I've never noticed anything.

I know that the bittering hops used in most if not all Coopers kits (Pride of Ringwood) tastes kind of harsh to some folks. I'm sure that doesn't help kit brews reputations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boe1971 wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

My fermenting temperatures are as low as 66 and as high as 70 but usually in the 66 to 68 range. I ferment in my downstairs bathroom which is dark, cool, and never used. I have the heat vent blocked off so no warm air comes in to raise the temperature.

Are those ambient temperatures or fermentation temperatures? If they're ambient, fermentation temperatures are probably 5+ degrees higher, especially at first.

I generally try to keep my fermentation temperatures around 65 (or even lower) for the first week. If I'm using US-05 or Nottingham, I aim for around 60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that the flavor threshold for the taste that Boe1971 is describing is very low for some people and very high for others. YOU may not taste it. I do, in a very big way. In fact, it the ONLY thing I taste with the MB extracts, using a wide variety of yeasts and pitching and fermenting within those yeasts' acceptable ranges. I have never tasted it with any other extract. Please don't discount Boe's perception just because you do not perceive it yourself. He could be doing everything absolutely correctly, and he will still taste it. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If I had not started using other extracts and mashing by my third brew, I would have abandoned the hobby because of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

My fermenting temperatures are as low as 66 and as high as 70 but usually in the 66 to 68 range. I ferment in my downstairs bathroom which is dark, cool, and never used. I have the heat vent blocked off so no warm air comes in to raise the temperature.

Are those ambient temperatures or fermentation temperatures? If they're ambient, fermentation temperatures are probably 5+ degrees higher, especially at first.

I generally try to keep my fermentation temperatures around 65 (or even lower) for the first week. If I'm using US-05 or Nottingham, I aim for around 60.

Those temps are taken from the thermometer stuck to the side of my LBKs so I assume that is fermenting temperature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that the flavor threshold for the taste that Boe1971 is describing is very low for some people and very high for others. YOU may not taste it. I do, in a very big way. In fact, it the ONLY thing I taste with the MB extracts, using a wide variety of yeasts and pitching and fermenting within those yeasts' acceptable ranges. I have never tasted it with any other extract. Please don't discount Boe's perception just because you do not perceive it yourself. He could be doing everything absolutely correctly, and he will still taste it. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If I had not started using other extracts and mashing by my third brew, I would have abandoned the hobby because of it.

Did you bother to read what I wrote, or did you simply respond to what you thought I might have written if I disagreed with you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of curiosity, for those that taste the "twang", if you used a Mr. Beer UME (not HME) and your own hops to bitter, do you still taste it? Wondering if it's a "bittering hop remnant" like the Coopers pride of ringwood flavor some people get, but others do not (and in its case it is not present in the unhopped coopers extracts, only the kit beers).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My perception: when you add an extract to cold water in the fermenter, you get more of that extract taste (twang), than you you do if you do a 'full batch boil'. For example, boiling +/- 2-3/4 gallons water w/LME & hops (per schedule), cooling, pitching yeast, etc to the LBK. Seems to me that most of that twang disappears with conditioning, but less of it on the front end with the bigger boils... IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion, even though I just read the title, and skimmed through most posts is that yeast is the culprit. The packet of yeast under the lid is great, but specific styles of beer call for specific strains of yeast.

The best way to see the difference in yeast for Mr. Beer batches or any other batch for that matter is to make a 5 gallon batch, and split between 2 LBK's, and pitch 2 different yeast strains. You will really notice a difference in liquid yeast strains, ( I don't use dry yeast that often, but you will notice differences there as well.)

The fromunda yeast is a great all around yeast, but in my opinion the best brews are made from a specific strain of liquid yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mxstar21 wrote:

My opinion, even though I just read the title, and skimmed through most posts is that yeast is the culprit. The packet of yeast under the lid is great, but specific styles of beer call for specific strains of yeast.

The best way to see the difference in yeast for Mr. Beer batches or any other batch for that matter is to make a 5 gallon batch, and split between 2 LBK's, and pitch 2 different yeast strains. You will really notice a difference in liquid yeast strains, ( I don't use dry yeast that often, but you will notice differences there as well.)

The fromunda yeast is a great all around yeast, but in my opinion the best brews are made from a specific strain of liquid yeast.

As I stated in an earlier post, I have tried varying everything in my batches including yeasts and I still get the taste. The only common denominator is the Mr Beer HMEs. I recently brewed a batch with no Mr Beer stuff so I will know once it is conditioned if the Mr Beer HMEs are the culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

oly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that the flavor threshold for the taste that Boe1971 is describing is very low for some people and very high for others. YOU may not taste it. I do, in a very big way. In fact, it the ONLY thing I taste with the MB extracts, using a wide variety of yeasts and pitching and fermenting within those yeasts' acceptable ranges. I have never tasted it with any other extract. Please don't discount Boe's perception just because you do not perceive it yourself. He could be doing everything absolutely correctly, and he will still taste it. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If I had not started using other extracts and mashing by my third brew, I would have abandoned the hobby because of it.

Did you bother to read what I wrote, or did you simply respond to what you thought I might have written if I disagreed with you?

Of course I read your post. What exactly is it about my reply that got your knickers in a knot? Or that was not directly related to what you wrote? I have been very careful to qualify my replies, mentioning that extract twang is not perceived by everyone; in fact it seems to be noticed by a minority. And to issue a blanket statement that just becuase one notices a twang with one brand of extract, one will notice it with every extract is simply incorrect. No disprespect BP, but if you can't taste what he is describing, all you can offer regarding it is speculation. When yeast variety, fermentation temperature, pitching temperature, proper aeration, adjunct ingredients, hops etc. are taken out of the equation, you are left with the malt. I don't give a rat's petoot whether YOU believe me or not. If you don't taste it, I might as well be trying to describe a sunset to a blind man.

Mashani wrote:

Out of curiosity, for those that taste the "twang", if you used a Mr. Beer UME (not HME) and your own hops to bitter, do you still taste it? Wondering if it's a "bittering hop remnant" like the Coopers pride of ringwood flavor some people get, but others do not (and in its case it is not present in the unhopped coopers extracts, only the kit beers).


I cannot speak to that. All my MB batches used HME's, and my unhopped extract batches used different brands, simply for the sake of cost. I was given a Coopers HME kit for a gift, and did not taste any twang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

oly wrote:

bpgreen wrote:

Boe1971 wrote:

patrickb wrote:

The one thing that seems to be consistent in all the beers you have brewed is the yeast. All of the Standard, Deluxe, and Premium refills use the same yeast. I would suggest trying to pair your beers to a different yeast. That should compliment the flavors and more for a more complex profile.

I have used different yeasts in several brews and I get the "twang" in every batch. The one and only common denominator in my case are the Mr Beer HMEs. It is not a bad taste, just an odd taste I have never had in any other beer. I will find out for sure in another 6 weeks or so. I brewed a batch last night with no Mr Beer HMEs in it. I used all LMEs and other ingredients bought at the LHBS. Time will tell.

What temperature do you ferment at? That could be another common denominator.

If what you're detecting is what some people call the extract twang, switching Mr Beer extract for a different extract will not eliminate it. Doing a partial mash will cut it to an extent and going all grain will get rid of it. I've never noticed the extract twang. I've used Mr Beer, Briess, Coopers and Muntons extracts and had good results with all of them.

I think it's important to bear in mind that the flavor threshold for the taste that Boe1971 is describing is very low for some people and very high for others. YOU may not taste it. I do, in a very big way. In fact, it the ONLY thing I taste with the MB extracts, using a wide variety of yeasts and pitching and fermenting within those yeasts' acceptable ranges. I have never tasted it with any other extract. Please don't discount Boe's perception just because you do not perceive it yourself. He could be doing everything absolutely correctly, and he will still taste it. Sorry to say it, but it's true. If I had not started using other extracts and mashing by my third brew, I would have abandoned the hobby because of it.

Did you bother to read what I wrote, or did you simply respond to what you thought I might have written if I disagreed with you?

Of course I read your post. What exactly is it about my reply that got your knickers in a knot? Or that was not directly related to what you wrote? I have been very careful to qualify my replies, mentioning that extract twang is not perceived by everyone; in fact it seems to be noticed by a minority. And to issue a blanket statement that just becuase one notices a twang with one brand of extract, one will notice it with every extract is simply incorrect. No disprespect BP, but if you can't taste what he is describing, all you can offer regarding it is speculation. When yeast variety, fermentation temperature, pitching temperature, proper aeration, adjunct ingredients, hops etc. are taken out of the equation, you are left with the malt. I don't give a rat's petoot whether YOU believe me or not. If you don't taste it, I might as well be trying to describe a sunset to a blind man.

I never said the tasted doesn't or can't exist and never discounted his perception. Just because I don't taste it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. That's what I said originally, then you accused me of discounting his perception.

You say "no disrespect" and then follow it up with disrespectful comments. Why is it that whenever somebody starts with "Not to be ___ or no ___ intended, you know that what is coming next is whatever was specifically disavowed in the first part?

You may not have intended to come off the way you have, but I feel pretty insulted by your last few posts. I don't know if you're trying to bait me to get a rise out of me or if we're just having a communication mixup. Either way, I'm done with this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An obvious communication mix up. I don't know what you felt offended about, but I felt that your implication of flippancy on my part merited a response. As to the "no disrespect" sentence: there was no disrespect intended or delivered there. Agreed. Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha Ha - A Borg Brawl. :pound:
Everybody's right here. Very subjective. Let be nice to each other, but at the same time, a good argument is fun too. 40488-20111204.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"G2gibson" post=203498 said:

I am not new to Mr Beer, but also not a master. I have been brewing about 6 months now, have 3 kegs and 4 sets of liter bottles. I have for the most part stuck to the stock recipes (standard, deluxe & premium) and I am just now trying hops, fruit, spices etc. One thing that I have noticed is that all the recipes have the same "base" taste. It's not bad, but they all have a more heavy or malty taste as compared to the crispy taste of store bought beer. I have not experimented with different yeasts yet, but plan to.

Do any of you "masters" out there have any suggestions for changing it up?


Yes, is time for you to start brewing seriously, move to all-grain.
With the 5th o 6th batch of Mr Beer every start to taste the same.
You'll thank me when you drink your first batch of all grain brew beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go back and check your time machine, you missed the mark by about 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before people start feeding the 1 post troll... I will just say:

Dont feed the troll. :charlie:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...