Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
PaJim

Partial Mash

I did a partial mash with oats for an oatmeal stout I also steeped chocolate malt, I mashed the oats for 75 min then sparged them. Then I steeped my chocolate malt in the wort for 30 min.

My Question is can I steep the malt with the oats and sparge them all, if so do I steep the grain for the first 30 min then remove or leave them in the whole time?

you would mash oats with chocolate malt. If you were doing AG you would not steep. but are you also using 2row? Oats will need 2 row for conversion....but dont ask me how much.

I would mash everything together for the full time, you're just adding an extra step. Did you mash with any base malts, though?

mnstarzz13 wrote:

you would mash oats with chocolate malt. If you were doing AG you would not steep. but are you also using 2row? Oats will need 2 row for conversion....but dont ask me how much.

No I didn't. Did not know that. :(

KZ wrote:

I would mash everything together for the full time, you're just adding an extra step. Did you mash with any base malts, though?

No just water. how bad will this be screwed up?

Basically what you did was an extended steep. Mashing requires 2 row or some base malt to convert starches to sugar which can be consumed by the yeast. basically, you will get some mouthfeel from the oats but no abv and a bunch of starch. starch will make a clody beer but thats no biggie here. However, starch does open the door for infection (I have not had any isue nor have many others who steeped oats) so just be a little extra carefull with sanitation, avoid opening keg at all costs just to be safe.

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Basically what you did was an extended steep. Mashing requires 2 row or some base malt to convert starches to sugar which can be consumed by the yeast. basically, you will get some mouthfeel from the oats but no abv and a bunch of starch. starch will make a clody beer but thats no biggie here. However, starch does open the door for infection (I have not had any isue nor have many others who steeped oats) so just be a little extra carefull with sanitation, avoid opening keg at all costs just to be safe.

+1, I've seen recipes that steep oats, flaked oats, flaked rye, or other grains that normally would be mashed and I'm sure they come out fine. I've also done it myself on numerous ocassions with no issues.

You just didn't accomplish what I'm asuming your goal was, which was to convert some of the starch to sugar, but you will still get some of the other benefits. next time just throw in some base malt to convert the starch and you'll be all set.

Cheers!

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Sound good. I bottled this yesterday and it did have very good mouth feel and taste. I used 1 lb of oats how much 2 row? the recipe I did was 2 cans of St. Patrick's Irish stout HME and a can of creamy brown UME, can I use the UME just add it in the beginning? Also Do I leave the chocolate malt in the whole time and sparge all at the end.

I cant speak to the amount of 2row to use, maybe someone can.

You would mill the 2row and Chocolate malt, add to 154-156 degree water (1.5qt/lb - thats what i do since i BIAB) stir a bit to declump then cover pot and mash for 60 min. Remove grains and sparge. add ume and proceed to boil (even if no hop boil I would to kill and bad guys in the oats/grains for 10-15 min) then add HME at flame out. viola!

PaJim wrote:

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Sound good. I bottled this yesterday and it did have very good mouth feel and taste. I used 1 lb of oats how much 2 row? the recipe I did was 2 cans of St. Patrick's Irish stout HME and a can of creamy brown UME, can I use the UME just add it in the beginning? Also Do I leave the chocolate malt in the whole time and sparge all at the end.

I don't do partial mashes (I figure if I'm going to mash, then I'm doing the whole thing) so I can't say for sure, but I'd think a pound of 2 row or any other base malt would be sufficient. That does sound like a lot of oats for a MB sized batch though, so a pound of base malt might not be enough. And make sure you're using quick oats or flaked oats so you don't have to mess with a cereal mash.

Cheers!

like KZ said, 1lb seems like a lot! -good catch!

also, per former MRB Brewmaster ericG

"as long as you're using quick-oats, flaked oats, or rolled oats (highly recommended). This is because the starches are already gelatinized in these forms of oats."

Flaked oats are at LHBS but the old fashioned oats at grocier work too. i buy wally world brand ;)

mnstarzz13 wrote:

like KZ said, 1lb seems like a lot! -good catch!

also, per former MRB Brewmaster ericG

"as long as you're using quick-oats, flaked oats, or rolled oats (highly recommended). This is because the starches are already gelatinized in these forms of oats."

Flaked oats are at LHBS but the old fashioned oats at grocier work too. i buy wally world brand ;)

I bought them at my LHBS a little pricey but next time Wally world. next batch I will try 1/2 lb depending on how much I like the first batch. :woohoo: