Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
russki

Foam control

We all know about the dangers of boil overs and LBK blowouts. No more! I picked up a vial of something called Fermcap-S Foam Control at my LHBS today, and it's like magic! You add one drop to your boil, and can turn your back and walk away for the duration. No danger of foaming over anymore! It really works - I tested it with two DME batches today. According to the guy at the LHBS, no danger of fermenter overflow either - it basically kills the krausen without any ill effects for the beer. This means you can fill the LBKs almost all the way to the top (you do need to account for extra volume or your OG is going to be way low).

Anyone else tried this?

russki wrote:

Anyone else tried this?

Not yet, but I have heard great things about it. I may pick some up the next time I visit my LHBS.

Guest System Admin

I don't know were I read it but I read that it is not recommended for home brew that is "Naturally" carbornated.

Something about it is touchy with amount is small batches (5 gallons or smaller)

Like I said was a while ago and do not remember all the details when I looked into it

I use it a lot for big boils and big beers. It's silicon based I believe and breaks surface tension (or something). I've done my research on Trollby's point and in my own opinion and for my own consumption I don't worry about it. But IIRC the FDA requires commercial breweries to filter it out, although using a drop of Fermcap is a very low level and it may or may not settle out.

I use it in every batch. Works pretty well, I still need a blow-off tube on bigger beers.

Works well in the boil for DME batches.

From the research I did it appears harmless - most of it is supposed to drop into the trub anyway. Chemically, it's pretty much the same stuff that goes into Gas-X, known as Dimethylpolysiloxane or Simethicone. It works by reducing surface tension and allowing small bubbles to join together to form larger bubbles that easily dissipate. Apparently, Dimethylpolysiloxane is also added to McD's chicken nuggets, and is a main ingredient in Silly Putty!

Here's another thread about it.

i dont use it for Mr Beer sized batches only for my 5 gallon batches. its too much of a bother in a 2.13 galllon batch. just "pay attention to details" and you will be fine.

Brian1179 wrote:

i dont use it for Mr Beer sized batches only for my 5 gallon batches. its too much of a bother in a 2.13 galllon batch. just "pay attention to details" and you will be fine.

Not trying to be a dick, but I don't see how it becomes any more of a bother depending on batch size. I try not to use it but sometimes I go over on final kettle volume and goshdarnit I'm gonna drain as much of it into my fermentor as possible. So I use it for 2.5 gallon batches (or more like 2.75) every so often.

it does when you do big batches outside and the Mr Beer sized batches on the stove

EDIT: at least to me anyway

Ooooh I see what you're talking about--the boil exclusively? In that case I get ya. I didn't use it in the boil for MB batches but I do for AG batches. Cheers

My only concern would be on head retention. The people here that use it, how does it affect that? A lot, a little, not at all?

Simethicone

Is that really what it is? That's too funny. We used to give simethicone to my son when he was an infant because he had really bad gas problems. Worked like a dream, but we went through bottles and bottles of the stuff...

VTGroff wrote:

My only concern would be on head retention. The people here that use it, how does it affect that? A lot, a little, not at all?

From what I've been reading - it should not affect it at all, although a few say that it actually improves the retention... I guess I'll have to test this out when these two batches are done.

Speaking of krausen - yesterday afternoon there was a solid inch of krausen in both LBKs and a nice churning action going on inside. Without Fermcap, with this kind of activity, I get a "light" blow-out at 24-48 hours (a bit of foam seeping from under the lid). We'll see what it looks like tonight.

SenorPepe wrote:

Ooooh I see what you're talking about--the boil exclusively? In that case I get ya. I didn't use it in the boil for MB batches but I do for AG batches. Cheers

now ya got it :):)

when i brew on my propane burner, it is at minimum a partial mash (PM) so i use foam control there, but inside (Mr Beer) i never really need it. :):)

Brian1179 wrote:

when i brew on my propane burner, it is at minimum a partial mash (PM) so i use foam control there, but inside (Mr Beer) i never really need it. :):)

I do outside PM on a propane burner as well. Foam can be an issue. I might have to look into this if it seriously doesn't have any ill effects.

VT, FWIW, my moderate research that went into it yielded the same results as Russki's, namely, that it has no negative affect on head formation or retention and inexplicably might aid retention...and my limited experience with it doesn't contradict that.

Guest System Admin

My big worry with this stuff and other things people add is 10 years from now they find out it is really bad for you.

I like my beer el-natural

Trollby wrote:

My big worry with this stuff and other things people add is 10 years from now they find out it is really bad for you.

I like my beer el-natural

Simethicone has been prescribed for many, many years to treat gas and bloating (Like I said, I used it for my infant son's gas worked like a dream).

It's considered generally safe because it's not absorbed by the body into the blood stream. It stays in your digestive tract and passes that way. If you've ever taken Immodium, Gax-X, Phazyme, or Rolaids, you've already taken this stuff B)