Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Texas Dan

Mr.B West Coast Pale Ale Question

I would like to brew a batch of West Coast Pale Ale tonight, and, even though I'm very happy, as are my friends, with the taste of the last batch, I would like to do something a little different this time in the form of added hops to balance some of the maltiness.

What do you think would be the best utiliztion of using some Hallertauer hops (2/3 oz split between 15 min and 7 minute before flameout). Or possibly split between 10 min and dry hop during fermentation? Or might adding more hops mess up the profile of the Pale Ale.
Trying to use up some leftovers. Sorry about the short fuse. Thanks in advance.

Previous recipe follows:

West Coast Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch: 2.00 galExtract
Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.044 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 6° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.011
Alcohol by Volume: 4.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 3.4%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 1.00 lb, Extract
MrBeer West Coast Pale Ale 1.21 lb, Extract, Extract (Estimated this contains a 5 min hop boil).
MrBeer Booster 1/2 lb,

Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 0.50 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 6 GRAMS

Hallertauer would probably not fit well with the west coast Pale Ale style. But its your beer and you never know it might be killer.
To keep it simple I would just boil them for 10 minutes in the the DME. If you want a super hop aroma from these then dry hop them.

I am currently drinking a WCPA that I dry hopped only with 1/2 ounce of Amarillo hops and it came out pretty good. This weekend I planned on kicking up a little by steeping some Crystal 10 (didn't think about the
Crystal rye until I received some suggestions) and probably some Carapils and doing a 20 minute flavor boil with 1/2 ounce Amarillo and then a 7 minute aroma boil with a 1/2 ounce of Cascade and then at about 10 days of fermentation plan on dry hopping 1/2 ounce of Amarillo and Cascade.

Let us know how your's turns out and I'll report back in a couple of months with my findings!

Cheers :cheers:

I definitely don't want an overbearing hop taste. Using an estimated 5 min hop infusion included with the Mr. Beer Pale Ale can, Qbrew tells me my IBU is 19 of a 30-45 range, though I may be underestimating what Mr. Beer hop level of this HME.
I definitely don't want to spoil the profile.

Texas Dan wrote:

I definitely don't want an overbearing hop taste.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think MrB Pale Ale has enough hop flavor as a good pale ale should to start with. I'll be brewing the pale ale this weekend using MB PA HME 2 lbs Muntons light DME, 1/2 oz cascade@ 20 min. and dry hopping 1/4 oz cascade at the 2 week mark. Also using the 05 yeast. I don't know about Hallertau in a Pale Ale, never tried it, but I do like that hop variety in my Octoberfest.

Thanks for the quick comeback.
I decided to play it safe, since I waited so long before asking these questions, and added only 1/4 oz. Hallertauer at 10 min. I will see how it comes out and can adjust on subsequent brews if it turns out.
Berryman, I also am very pleased with the Hallertauer with the Octoberfest Vienna. As I said in First Pour, I bought an import Octoberfest to compare against mine and a friend and I tried them. They were not far off in taste with mine somewhat darker. My neighbor said he liked mine best, though he could be protecting himself for future tastings..
I will do another Octoberfest again soon.