Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.4 %
Bitterness: 198.3 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.9 SRM

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4 oz Corn Sugar
Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 68.0 F

Damn! That sounds amazing! Never tried Pliny but hope to try it some day. If anyone round here has access to pliny and wants to bottle swap, let me know. Id be willing to offer anything I can possibly get here in the northeast! :cheers:

Yummy stuff. I can't get it here, but my son brought me some from Cali a couple months ago. Beware, the sugar in the brew gives it a fairly light body for such a potent beer; it can sneak up on you. :party:

So hard to get even here w/ multiple stores that carry it. I've seen 2 cases sell out in 15 minutes. If it wasn't so damn tasty, I'd think it was all hype.

Rebel_B wrote:

What yeast?

Can't believe I forgot to add that in. Updated recipe. Thank you for the heads up.

my Bro told me about Pliny The Elder 3 weeks ago. I have hunting this brew down ever since.

This went pretty damn smooth. Used 2 vials of WLP001 and made a 1000mL starter. Next time, I'll get that started a little sooner so I can place it in the fridge to decant the liquid off the slurry. Swirled it around and pitched the whole thing. Started w/ 6 gallon boil, lost approx. 1.5 gallons over a 90 minute boil. SG 1.080. 6 hours later, the airlock is bubbling. I'm making beer!

Immersion wort chiller worked like a charm. From boiling to 78F in approx. 20/30 minutes. Tried my hand at whirl-pooling. Don't think I quite know what I'm doing with that yet. Auto siphon still sucked up a lot of proteins. I'd like to figure out how to get that nice cold break in the center to lessen that.

Going to rack to secondary (5g plastic carboy) in 14 days, then add the dry hop additions and let sit for another 7 days. Batch prime w/ corn sugar. Can't wait to try this one.

Wow. I was considering doing this recipe from AHS. I'm probably gonna do Delirium Tremens or Rochfort 10 instead. I have heard a lot of good about this particular beer. Unfortunately the closest place I can get it is PA.

Very active fermentation. Filled up my airlock and had to replace with a blow off tube. Oxygenation and yeast starter really made a difference.
yeast_starter.jpg
blow_off.jpg
cloney_fermenting.jpg
cloney_fermenting_close_up_1.jpg
cloney_fermenting_close_up_2.jpg

How long is the whole process for this brew? I almost bought an extract kit today for this one.

30 minute steep, 90 minute boil. Going to primary for 7-10 days depending on amount of activity, then secondary for another 7 days with the dry hop additions. Age 30 days, then consume.

Bottled this sucker today. 3 12oz, 2 16oz, 21 22oz and 1 750ml. Hydro sample tastes so good. Reminds me of Pliny. Came in at 7.7%. Try my short fill on 2/7.
Label_Cloney_The_Adler.jpg

genotype wrote:

30 minute steep, 90 minute boil. Going to primary for 7-10 days depending on amount of activity, then secondary for another 7 days with the dry hop additions. Age 30 days, then consume.

I just brewed up this one on Monday, and fermentation was really crazy the first two days. Also, it was odd that I didn't have any overflow in the blowoff tube, but it did come close. Just curious how long exactly you ended up keeping it in the primary and secondary?

ended up leaving it in primary for 2 weeks, then racked to secondary w/ the dry hop additions for another week. this one is great young. perfect after just 2 weeks in the bottle. you're gonna love it.

Guest System Admin

genotype wrote:

ended up leaving it in primary for 2 weeks, then racked to secondary w/ the dry hop additions for another week. this one is great young. perfect after just 2 weeks in the bottle. you're gonna love it.

So stopping by Saturday to have one should be alright? :P

I'll be home brewing up my collaboration Americanized Irish Red Ale, so no problem. Come on by. 5 gallon batch, so I have plenty to spare right now, as well as 1/2 a case of the real thing.

Guest System Admin

Time to get the Borg bus going, lets see it seats 35 :)

Have to see who all is on the route to pick up

(Would be a blast, wife would kill me, might be worth it)

lol. check out WolfMagus' map and plan accordingly. i'll provide refreshments and bbq when y'all arrive. 78F today.

I just checked the map. Um, the bus is not swinging through Georgia is it :(

genotype wrote:

the lady at the brew store said exactly that- 2 weeks, because you want the freshness of the hops. I'm tempted to buy More Beer's- Blind Pig recipe kit. Also, have you tried Pliny the Younger yet?

genotype wrote:

the lady at the brew store said exactly that- 2 weeks, because you want the freshness of the hops. I'm tempted to buy More Beer's- Blind Pig recipe kit. Also, have you tried Pliny the Younger yet?

BEWARE THE YOUNGER, FOR HIS RETURN IS NIGH!

I have not yet had the privileged of making his acquaintance. He is being release within the next couple of weeks though, and I plan on burning a personal day to meet him in person. I have two establishments that are threatening to offer him, and I hope to be able to convince my DD to take me to both.

Can't go wrong w/ Blind Pig.

genotype wrote:

BEWARE THE YOUNGER, FOR HIS RETURN IS NIGH!

I have not yet had the privileged of making his acquaintance. He is being release within the next couple of weeks though, and I plan on burning a personal day to meet him in person. I have two establishments that are threatening to offer him, and I hope to be able to convince my DD to take me to both.

Can't go wrong w/ Blind Pig.

?
Pliny the Younger was released a week ago I think.

genotype wrote:

Not tapped yet at my establishments, though it is available at Russian River.

Ah, I see. Do you know how many kegs they get? Must go real fast.

I do not. They keep threatening to update us on dates on their Facebook pages. I know Tustin Brewing Company will be doing a Russian River week when they release it. I've already told management at work that I will be taking a day off.

Yes! Just got the FB invite to Tustin Brewing Company for the pouring of The Younger. Wednesday, Feb 15th. Lineups start at 12:00pm, pre-sale tickets for an 8oz glass starts at 1:00pm (only 1 per person), and pours begin at 3:00pm. Russian River selections all week. Plenty of Elder.

How did your batch turn out? I just bottled up my extract kit, and just received the pliny kit today from MoreBeer. I'll probably do the second one next week.

Turned out quite nicely. Very please with the results. Not quite the same as Pliny, darker, less aroma, but quite good. I've had two friends claim that they prefer it to Pliny, but, for the record, I've told them that they are delusional.

Mine is a different kit than yours, but it turned out about exactly the same color with an ABV of 7.7%. I'm going to do up the MoorBeer.com kit next week to compare it to. I'm really glad I did a starter, because I've got a feeling my FG would've been a lot higher with only 1 smack pack. I'm surprised that your's had less aroma with all the hops in that kit. I was told that this brew will be ready to drink as soon as it is carbonated.

ABV came out to be 7.7% as well. Starter is definitely recommended. Nice and violent first few days of fermentation. I had to switch out the airlock for a blow-off tube.