Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tabasco

My next SMASH .... Bakers Yeast experiment

Recommended Posts

My next double batch BIAB AG ... I'm going to do one fermenter with S-05 or Nottingham, and one fermenter with the cheapest baker's yeast they had at shop-rite.


I have to know.

I've read so much stuff saying baker's yeast works but doesn't ferment as well and has funny tastes. But's it's always just passing stuff on.

The only one I've read where someone actually tried it ... he said it was good.

Anyone in here actually ever use baker's yeast?????????????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for JAOM. I didn't really notice any off flavors but the lees (trub I guess if you're making beer) is probably going to be really sandy and easy to disturb.

EDIT: Oh, and I think one of the reasons people report off flavors from it is that it can be harder to pour a glass without getting a bunch of the yeast in it. This is just a hypothesis but lots of people report a "yeasty" taste that I never got from the JAOM, which I racked a few times and has almost no yeast in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 I'm all for such 'experiments' you never know till you try and then you will have first hand knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A long time ago bakers yeast, brewers yeast, it was all the same thing, it floated around in your kitchen and magically fermented whatever it touched, bread, beer, whatenot.

So it will make beer, probably "englishy" in nature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about that..Joe [Mattioli]'s Ancient Orange Mead. The mead you can make with just supermarket ingredients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SenorPepe wrote:

Sorry about that..Joe [Mattioli]'s Ancient Orange Mead. The mead you can make with just supermarket ingredients.

Thanks .................. I should try that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth the experiment, Tom. Good idea to split the batch between two yeasts so you can actually see what kind of a difference it makes.

Report back on this; I'm kinda curious what you think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I uses it once in a gruit. It turned out fine. I think any off flavors were more likely due to the wormwood than the yeast. It reminds me of an English ale yeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - I have used "Baker's Yeast" numerous times without any noticeable differences.

Brewer's yeast, though other species are also used in brewing
Ale yeast
Top-fermenting yeast
Baker's yeast
Budding yeast

All are the same thing comes from the same Yeast "fungus" family :

Saccharomyces cerevisiae:

240px_S_cerevisiae_under_DIC_microscopy.


You can use the yeast that you can purchase in any grocery store just do use the "fast" 0r "Quick" ( whatever it's called) rising yeast-too many "other" properties in it to trust using in a batch of beer but just the regular yeast is fine.I have used it many many times and everything was fine.Why did I use it? I already had some wort cooling and I noticed that I had "misplaced" the yeast for that batch so I knew where I kept my Baker's yeast so I figured "Why Not" ..

16901.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like an awesome experiment and a groundbreaking first for this forum too.


I'd be very interested to know how this progresses, as I'm sure others would be too. It'd be really cool if you could post the recipe, fermentation, original and final gravities. Who knows some other brewers may even be encouraged to try this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made JAOM several times using Baker's Yeast. I also made fruit wines using this recipe:
http://homesteadinghousewife.blogspot.com/2007/11/homemade-wine-101-hiccup.html
She says not to put in any yeast at all, but I add a pinch of baker's yeast "just to get it started." I've had good results (pear, strawberry & plum, so far).

My only caveat is that both JAOM and my fruit wines come out rather sweet. I read somewhere that Baker's yeast doesn't ferment to as high an alcohol content as wine or beer yeast, which means it doesn't eat as much of the sugar. That's the only problem I can see. I would like my mead & wine a bit drier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds interesting, I'm with the people who think that it's going to taste "Englishy."

All I would advise, to make sure that you get the best possible/most accurate results is to make sure that you pitch the proper amount of yeast, I don't know how many cells per gram bakers yeast has or if it's the same as brewers yeast (count-wise), properly rehydrate before pitching, and aerate the dickens out of it.

If you're going to do it, you may as well do it right, right? B)

Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VTGroff wrote:

Sounds interesting, I'm with the people who think that it's going to taste "Englishy."

All I would advise, to make sure that you get the best possible/most accurate results is to make sure that you pitch the proper amount of yeast, I don't know how many cells per gram bakers yeast has or if it's the same as brewers yeast (count-wise), properly rehydrate before pitching, and aerate the dickens out of it.

If you're going to do it, you may as well do it right, right? B)

Good Luck!

I'm not going to get to it until next week ... I'm busy all day Saturday and Sunday I have to bottle a double batch.
But ... the baker's yeast comes in packs that are about 4g ... so I'll pitch one pack of bakers yeast in one, and a half pack of S05 in the other. That's about as scientific as I'll get.
Keep both fermenters at the same temp in same room.
Keep an eye on them with much wonder and awe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mashed a double batch last night. 8.5 lbs two row, 1 oz Chinook hops, 1/3 ea @ 50, 20, 10 min. No other ingredients.

Pitched one LBK with 5g Nottingham, the other LBK with about 5g bakers yeast.

This morning, after about 8 hrs, both kegs are starting a nice krausen.
We'll see what goes ...... gonna take 2-2-2 to know. But I'll taste sample on bottling day, and let you know about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

way to go tabasco ,,,,,,,, my - [brewers yeast pills] are about to go through a 1/2 [pill] yeast and 1/2 mr.beer yeast test . the worse that can happen is that i lose 1-1/4 gal of beer.
a drinking man , is a thinking man !!!! Beer_activisit.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jersey john wrote:

way to go tabasco ,,,,,,,, my - [brewers yeast pills] are about to go through a 1/2 [pill] yeast and 1/2 mr.beer yeast test . the worse that can happen is that i lose 1-1/4 gal of beer.
a drinking man , is a thinking man !!!! Beer_activisit.jpg

The brewers yeast tablets or powder from the health food store are deactivated. They have nutritional value, but no live yeast. As such, they'll provide nutrients for the yeast, but they won't help ferment. Don't cut back on the amount of live yeast you add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

jersey john wrote:

way to go tabasco ,,,,,,,, my - [brewers yeast pills] are about to go through a 1/2 [pill] yeast and 1/2 mr.beer yeast test . the worse that can happen is that i lose 1-1/4 gal of beer.
a drinking man , is a thinking man !!!! Beer_activisit.jpg

The brewers yeast tablets or powder from the health food store are deactivated. They have nutritional value, but no live yeast. As such, they'll provide nutrients for the yeast, but they won't help ferment. Don't cut back on the amount of live yeast you add.

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using fleischmann"s rapidrise from the store for years and I'm just now useing brewers yeast. I started a grape juice with bakers and one with brewers yeast. I know the fleischmann's had a strong flavor. hopeing the brewers will taste better.
we'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tramping wrote:

I've been using fleischmann"s rapidrise from the store for years and I'm just now useing brewers yeast. I started a grape juice with bakers and one with brewers yeast. I know the fleischmann's had a strong flavor. hopeing the brewers will taste better.
we'll see.

I've read somewhere (but have no idea, myself) that you should opt for regular over rapid-rise yeast. The regular Fleischmann's has worked alright for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SenorPepe wrote:

tramping wrote:

I've been using fleischmann"s rapidrise from the store for years and I'm just now useing brewers yeast. I started a grape juice with bakers and one with brewers yeast. I know the fleischmann's had a strong flavor. hopeing the brewers will taste better.
we'll see.

I've read somewhere (but have no idea, myself) that you should opt for regular over rapid-rise yeast. The regular Fleischmann's has worked alright for me.

I've read the same thing. I've even read that for things like soda making kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After one day, both kegs, the bakers yeast, and the Nottingham, had big, thick krausens.

After the second day, the bakers yeast appears to be settling out faster, but it's too early to be sure.. I'll take another good look tonight.

After I bottle in another 10-12 days, I'll scan in the recipe with OG,s and FG's from the hydrometer, and post.

I didn't even think to check if the yeast was rapid rise or not. It's not fleischman's. If the results are acceptable, I'll scan the wrapper and post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i took two grape juice and used one with bakers and one with brewers.
the bakers has a stronger taste. I vote for brewers yeast all the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok. 12 days ferment seemed to be enough on this simple recipe.
One fermenter used Nottingham, the other "tradional" (cheap) bakers yeast.
The ferment performance was about the same ... a tad lower ABV on the bakers, but too close to cite a difference ...

I always get under the target FG, as I mash around 152 deg and get very attenuating wort.

The bakers yeast batch tasted a little diff in the sample, but I couldn't really say much different. Tasted good. We'll see after condition. The next hurdle is seeing if the bakers yeast has enough muscle left to carbonate, I hate flat beer, but I'm betting it will carb. As always, I bottle primed with cane sugar. Anyway, here it is. After four weeks in the bottle, I'm going to chill a couple of each down, and do the big comparison with my favorite mug.

Yeast Experiment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so ...

Both batches carbed fine, nice head, lacing ....
But they taste entirely different. The bakers yeast one taste ok, unless you have one of the brewer yeast ones first. Then, the bread one tastes funny.

So, in summary, the bakers yeast fermented, carbed as good as the brewers yeast, but the flavor is definately "off". Drinkable. Not recommended. I may do it again, using a lot of a potent hop like warrior ... see if it compensates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tabasco wrote:

Ok, so ...

Both batches carbed fine, nice head, lacing ....
But they taste entirely different. The bakers yeast one taste ok, unless you have one of the brewer yeast ones first. Then, the bread one tastes funny.

So, in summary, the bakers yeast fermented, carbed as good as the brewers yeast, but the flavor is definately "off". Drinkable. Not recommended. I may do it again, using a lot of a potent hop like warrior ... see if it compensates.

As a suggestion, if you do it again, try comparing the bread yeast with S-04. I think bread yeast is closer to an English ale yeast. Nottingham is much cleaner fermenting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

Tabasco wrote:

Ok, so ...

Both batches carbed fine, nice head, lacing ....
But they taste entirely different. The bakers yeast one taste ok, unless you have one of the brewer yeast ones first. Then, the bread one tastes funny.

So, in summary, the bakers yeast fermented, carbed as good as the brewers yeast, but the flavor is definately "off". Drinkable. Not recommended. I may do it again, using a lot of a potent hop like warrior ... see if it compensates.

As a suggestion, if you do it again, try comparing the bread yeast with S-04. I think bread yeast is closer to an English ale yeast. Nottingham is much cleaner fermenting.

I'm thinking a side by side with Danstar Windsor or Muntons Gold yeasts actually, as even S-04 is pretty mellow for an English yeast. Windsor and Muntons Gold are truely "bready" and "spicy" yeasts. Maybe I'll do this one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. It is always fun drinking a beer that you've made, knowing there was never one exactly like it anywhere before, even it it's not the taste you were looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice experiment! I'm left with a feeling I get with lots of things...."you get what you pay for". There's a reason why some things just cost more than others. Quality matters a lot.

Tabasco, you used 5g of yeast in your batches, but my latest batch I used the S-04 and added the full 11.5g.....why the difference and what does it mean if anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fee wrote:

Nice experiment! I'm left with a feeling I get with lots of things...."you get what you pay for". There's a reason why some things just cost more than others. Quality matters a lot.

Tabasco, you used 5g of yeast in your batches, but my latest batch I used the S-04 and added the full 11.5g.....why the difference and what does it mean if anything?

The 11.5 g packets are intended for 5 gallon batches, so half of a packet is enough for a Mr Beer sized batch. Pitching the full packet won't hurt and will probably lead to a faster fermentation start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that it did!! but.....aren't we going for slower? Isn't a slower ferment a more thorough and higher quality ferment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fee wrote:

And that it did!! but.....aren't we going for slower? Isn't a slower ferment a more thorough and higher quality ferment?

Not necessarily. Also, I was referring to the time between pitching and fermentation start, not the total fermentation time. The faster fermentation starts, the greater the likelihood that the yeast you want will take hold and keep out any wild yeast and bacteria.

If you want a longer fermentation time, just ferment at a lower temperature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always pitch a half pack of brewers yeast, whether it's Nottingham, S05, S04, whatever, per mrB keg. Hell, the fromunder, even if you pitch 'em both, is a total of 4g.

I do alot of double AG BIAB batches, so it's one pack between the two. If I do a single batch, I just fold the pack shut, a little piece of tape, and back in the ziplock in the fridge for next batch.

I understand you get what you pay for ... but ... $0.65 vs $4.00+ is worth checking out. And like I say, I used it in a smash. I bet in an IPA or a bitter stout or heavy brown, it would fit.

Anyway, here's one of the bread yeast ones. The taste is growin' on me. SDC13036.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...