Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Elsteve-o

soon to be new to brewing

Recommended Posts

I found a MB kit in my wifes closet today. I have been wanting one of these for a while and im assuming its for me. Im guessing its my christmas present, and I really enjoy drinking pilsner beers, and ales. I have zero experience in brewing and was wondering if anyone has made any cream ales, or has tried to emulate a pils or ale they have tasted. Any suggestions greatly appreciated and as always dont tell my wife I found my present!!!!!! B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome... patience is very important... read all you can here and keep it simple for first few brews...
Read simple guidelines sticky at top of new brewers and faq category ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:borg: welcome to the Beerborg Information Center Elsteve-o. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

Ok, before things get exciting... try reading the "Simple Guide Line" and the Malt to adjunct ratio in the stickies on top of the new brewers and FAQ section. That will help you quite a bit. Read, then come back and ask your questions. ~The Nong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the MB family.

Happy early Christmas :laugh: :laugh:

Check out the various refills and recipes at mrbeer.com. There is a Pilsner and the Father's Day Cream Ale.

As stated above, patience.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer.

Ask lots of questiona and read the sticky at the top of the New Brewers category.

Enjoy!!

EDIT: BTW, why were you in HER closst? Hmmmmmm :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was getting some hangers hahahahaha and seeing if there were any other guys in there jk thanks guys im reading away!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Elsteve-o , you'll be able to make any kind of beer you want, assuming she doesn't find out you were peeking at the Christmas presents and gives it to someone else, but welcome and you will love your present as much this time next year, its the gift that keeps on giving,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Borg. We know everything & what we don't know we make up.
As for the Pilsner, there's 2 good ones in the premium refill section on Mr Beer's site & in Feb. the new seasonal refill is a Pilsner. Cheers :cheers: Peteys_Imperial_Pilsner-20111211.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just do what has been stated, i did.
i am a happy brewer.
you will be too.

welcome to the BORG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Elsteve-o!! Sounds like your on track for a great christmas! :lumberjack: Now start practicing your surprised face :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome. I think most of the highlights have been covered.

In my opinion, the following are the most important things to getting a good beer:

Patience
Quality ingredients
Temperature control
Patience
Proper amount of yeast (more than what is included for a standard refill)
Proper aeration (this isn't stressed enough in the kit instructions)
Patience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard ! Enjoy the many different stories of success here.

And check out these very informative videos, they sure helped me !

Click on the link below to see them :

http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/261

And as bpgreen stated :

1 Patience
2 Quality ingredients
3 Temperature control
4 Patience
5 Proper amount of yeast (more than what is included for a standard
refill)
6 Proper aeration (this isn't stressed enough in the kit instructions)
7 Patience

I like the 3/4/3 formula : But as per yankeedag : ( whom I truly respect ) :

3 weeks in keg ( LBK ) Fermenting
4 weeks in primed bottles ( 2&1/2 Tsp sugar per 1 quart MB PET Bottles at room temp.)
3 weeks in the fridge.

I take it that your kit came with a West Coast Pale Ale ? ( WCPA )
Brew it straight up, And learn...Don't go all fancy on your first brew, And you will enjoy the best beer you ever drank ! Share it with your friends ! And If all goes well........

You'll have home made BEER !

Good luck and happy brewing ! :stout: 419QKVXZBYL__SS500_-20111212.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:huh: Not so much the way JV said about that 3-3-3...
3 weeks in the fermenter
a minimum of 4 weeks in the bottle AT ROOM TEMP.
That will cover the 2 weeks needed for the sugar and yeast to carbonate the beer, and then for the yeast to finish up anything else it didn't.
Then you can place it in the fridge. Once you place it in the fridge, the yeast goes to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elsteve-o~

You mentioned Cream Ales and Pilsners.

A couple of things. According to Mr. Beer...this Spring, Mr. Beer will have a Pilsner as a seasonal offering...which should be quite nice.

I would also be curious if you want a true Cream Ale (or Pilsner) or just something close.

If you want a "true" beer...then check out this link: www.bjcp.org That link will have information that actually spell out what a true (insert style of beer) should be.

Once you've decided where you are on that, take a look around here and general google search on the internet and you can gather an idea of what people are brewing up. You can forumlate your own recipes to your own tastes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Welcome to the Borg!

With all that's been said, I will only say one thing. When you prepare your first batch, use only half of the booster. You will not notice the slight decrease in ABV, and your beer will taste sooooo much better. The whole bag is just slightly too much adjunct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elsteve-o wrote:

I found a MB kit in my wifes closet today. I have been wanting one of these for a while and im assuming its for me. Im guessing its my christmas present, and I really enjoy drinking pilsner beers, and ales. I have zero experience in brewing and was wondering if anyone has made any cream ales, or has tried to emulate a pils or ale they have tasted. Any suggestions greatly appreciated and as always dont tell my wife I found my present!!!!!! B)

Sorry dude, the Mr Beer kit is for somebody else. It is for a boss at work, or coworker or something. I told her you found it and she is not pleased with you, but she said shes gonna play dumb about it. Better come up with a Plan B.
Sorry for the bad news. Merry Christmas :hammer: :hammer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advise guys I have really been doing my research on brewing. I am pretty sure it was a pale ale in the box so I will try that first and keep moving foward from there. What was the best beers that you guys have made? Also what were some of the worst mistakes you made as im sure I will make some, but hopefully I can learn from yours. hahahahahahaha I try to be thinker than you dumb I am :hammer: :hammer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the board, you came to the right place to learn how to make great beer. And you are ahead of the game, see if I got this right. you're researching making Mr Beer before you are supposed to know you are getting a beer making kit for Christmas. :) Yes you are ahead of the game and your wife too, you will be happy, but act surprised too. Good luck and have fun brewing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just started myself 2 weeks ago, I would recommend starting with the supplied kit that you have the least amount of interest in.

While our first batch went pretty smoothly, our second batch just a week later seemed to go even better (fermenting that is, who knows how it's going to taste!).

Also, I'm lucky in that my wife likes beer. So she's been doing everything with me and has fun with it, which is great since our closet is slowly filling with kegs and bottles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome, Elsteve-o! Mr. Beer is a great way to introduce yourself to homebrewing, and this forum is a great way to get advice, ideas, and answers to your questions.

Most of what you need to know has already been covered by the previous responses. But if I can just add my own bit of advice....

Start with the Mr. Beer recipes and refills. Make them according to the instructions. DON'T add anything on your own, like fruit, or honey, or anything else. DON'T go wild and start mixing three or four cans of extract trying to make a "special recipe" beer. In other words, DON'T GO ALL MAD-SCIENTIST WITH THIS. There will be time for experimentation, but you need to learn what the profiles of the Mr. Beer extracts are. Once you've done some recipes (and the Deluxe Recipes are great; I make them all the time), you'll come to a point where you will know what will work, what won't work, and what might work if you combine them.

This, along with all the other advice given on patience, sanitizing, etc., is part of your education. Don't get ahead of yourself. After only four or five batches, you'll probably be ready for using Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract to either supplement Mr. Beer recipes, or to make your own recipes, with the added fun and challenge of choosing which hops you'll use. Again, you'll find plenty of helpful advice here; all you need to do is ask. We're eager to help each other with developing recipes, overcoming problems, and that sort of thing.

The temptation is great to start going off the reservation once you've made one or two batches, and you realize you really can make beer at home. But take it from someone who feels he lost about three months in his brewing education: take it slow. Learn the basics. Become familiar with your ingredients. Learn to crawl before you enter the Boston Marathon. I think you'll be glad you did.

Brew strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elsteve-o wrote:

Thanks for the advise guys I have really been doing my research on brewing. I am pretty sure it was a pale ale in the box so I will try that first and keep moving foward from there. What was the best beers that you guys have made? Also what were some of the worst mistakes you made as im sure I will make some, but hopefully I can learn from yours. hahahahahahaha I try to be thinker than you dumb I am :hammer: :hammer:

I've had a lot of "best" beers. Perhaps the best more or less stock beer I made was a Bohemian Pilsner with 1/2 lb Pilsner DME added to it.

My worst beers were those where I was going after high alcohol content instead of going after good tasting beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FedoraDave wrote:

Welcome, Elsteve-o! Mr. Beer is a great way to introduce yourself to homebrewing, and this forum is a great way to get advice, ideas, and answers to your questions.

Most of what you need to know has already been covered by the previous responses. But if I can just add my own bit of advice....

Start with the Mr. Beer recipes and refills. Make them according to the instructions. DON'T add anything on your own, like fruit, or honey, or anything else. DON'T go wild and start mixing three or four cans of extract trying to make a "special recipe" beer. In other words, DON'T GO ALL MAD-SCIENTIST WITH THIS. There will be time for experimentation, but you need to learn what the profiles of the Mr. Beer extracts are. Once you've done some recipes (and the Deluxe Recipes are great; I make them all the time), you'll come to a point where you will know what will work, what won't work, and what might work if you combine them.

This, along with all the other advice given on patience, sanitizing, etc., is part of your education. Don't get ahead of yourself. After only four or five batches, you'll probably be ready for using Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract to either supplement Mr. Beer recipes, or to make your own recipes, with the added fun and challenge of choosing which hops you'll use. Again, you'll find plenty of helpful advice here; all you need to do is ask. We're eager to help each other with developing recipes, overcoming problems, and that sort of thing.

The temptation is great to start going off the reservation once you've made one or two batches, and you realize you really can make beer at home. But take it from someone who feels he lost about three months in his brewing education: take it slow. Learn the basics. Become familiar with your ingredients. Learn to crawl before you enter the Boston Marathon. I think you'll be glad you did.

Brew strong.

On the other hand, failure can be very edumacational. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bpgreen wrote:

Elsteve-o wrote:

Thanks for the advise guys I have really been doing my research on brewing. I am pretty sure it was a pale ale in the box so I will try that first and keep moving foward from there. What was the best beers that you guys have made? Also what were some of the worst mistakes you made as im sure I will make some, but hopefully I can learn from yours. hahahahahahaha I try to be thinker than you dumb I am :hammer: :hammer:

I've had a lot of "best" beers. Perhaps the best more or less stock beer I made was a Bohemian Pilsner with 1/2 lb Pilsner DME added to it.

My worst beers were those where I was going after high alcohol content instead of going after good tasting beer.


I actually was reading about a few others who have tried this combo. I am going to order it christmas day so I can make that as my 3rd or 4th batch.From what ive been reading I should just stick to simple recipes for the first three batches at least. Then venture out and try a recipe or something new and exciting. I am what is known as cheap hahahahahaha so I dont want to blow tons of money on something I have a hunch on. I really appreciate all the help you guys have givin me and now I feel like a 5 year old waiting for christmas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oly wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Welcome, Elsteve-o! Mr. Beer is a great way to introduce yourself to homebrewing, and this forum is a great way to get advice, ideas, and answers to your questions.

Most of what you need to know has already been covered by the previous responses. But if I can just add my own bit of advice....

Start with the Mr. Beer recipes and refills. Make them according to the instructions. DON'T add anything on your own, like fruit, or honey, or anything else. DON'T go wild and start mixing three or four cans of extract trying to make a "special recipe" beer. In other words, DON'T GO ALL MAD-SCIENTIST WITH THIS. There will be time for experimentation, but you need to learn what the profiles of the Mr. Beer extracts are. Once you've done some recipes (and the Deluxe Recipes are great; I make them all the time), you'll come to a point where you will know what will work, what won't work, and what might work if you combine them.

This, along with all the other advice given on patience, sanitizing, etc., is part of your education. Don't get ahead of yourself. After only four or five batches, you'll probably be ready for using Dry Malt Extract or Liquid Malt Extract to either supplement Mr. Beer recipes, or to make your own recipes, with the added fun and challenge of choosing which hops you'll use. Again, you'll find plenty of helpful advice here; all you need to do is ask. We're eager to help each other with developing recipes, overcoming problems, and that sort of thing.

The temptation is great to start going off the reservation once you've made one or two batches, and you realize you really can make beer at home. But take it from someone who feels he lost about three months in his brewing education: take it slow. Learn the basics. Become familiar with your ingredients. Learn to crawl before you enter the Boston Marathon. I think you'll be glad you did.

Brew strong.

On the other hand, failure can be very edumacational. :P
Yeah, but if you can learn from someone else's Fail, you'll be ahead of the game. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FedoraDave wrote:

Yeah, but if you can learn from someone else's Fail, you'll be ahead of the game. ;)


No, no, no. That would make WAY too much sense. Who among us followed the same words of wisdom? Okay, probably a lot; BUT NEVER MIND THAT! The joys of having to drink one's own hideous creation cannot be properly known by some vague "theory" espoused by those who claim to have suffered those joys themselves. Sheesh, you probably think kid's should grow up under the tutelage of parents too. :silly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elsteve-o wrote:

Thanks for the advise guys I have really been doing my research on brewing. I am pretty sure it was a pale ale in the box so I will try that first and keep moving foward from there. What was the best beers that you guys have made? Also what were some of the worst mistakes you made as im sure I will make some, but hopefully I can learn from yours. hahahahahahaha I try to be thinker than you dumb I am :hammer: :hammer:

One of my favorite refills from Mr. Beer is there Pilsner refill. If you can get some Pilsner DME I would suggest doing the Pilsner HME with a pound of Pilsner DME. It was really nice. Think it was the fastest I ever drank a case of beer by Mr. Beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite refills from Mr. Beer is there Pilsner refill. If you can get some Pilsner DME I would suggest doing the Pilsner HME with a pound of Pilsner DME. It was really nice. Think it was the fastest I ever drank a case of beer by Mr. Beer.

I will follow this advise, I am really looking forward to a good pilsner. I appreciate all the help all of you guys are giving me and making it seem like no matter what as long as its fun your doing something right. I can really dig this beer making I just hope my wife figures out she is creating a monster hahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the world of Home Brewing...it will be hard to drink domestic beer after you taste a good home brew. The hardest thing I have found to do is wait for the beer to condition. It so damn good I can't stand the wait. I recommend "Bill's Brew" from the "recipe section" of the website. Good luck to you and hope you have the will to wait...it will be worth it!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1071scott wrote:

Welcome to the world of Home Brewing...it will be hard to drink domestic beer after you taste a good home brew. The hardest thing I have found to do is wait for the beer to condition. It so damn good I can't stand the wait. I recommend "Bill's Brew" from the "recipe section" of the website. Good luck to you and hope you have the will to wait...it will be worth it!!!!!

Bills Brew is my house favorite!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gxt2613 wrote:

1071scott wrote:

Welcome to the world of Home Brewing...it will be hard to drink domestic beer after you taste a good home brew. The hardest thing I have found to do is wait for the beer to condition. It so damn good I can't stand the wait. I recommend "Bill's Brew" from the "recipe section" of the website. Good luck to you and hope you have the will to wait...it will be worth it!!!!!

Bills Brew is my house favorite!

I am ordering it as well as the pilsner thanks guys also I have started to sneak in a mini fridge and put stuff up in the corner of the basement to start the brewing and make a kegerator. I told my wife I am working on some refridgeration stuff which is a lil white lie but I just cant wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...