Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
voltronguy

too much yeast?

So from reading around it seems like most people recommend using 2-3 packets of the standard MB yeast packet (if not using another yeast).

Is there a such thing as too much yeast though? I was thinking of switching to 3 packets by default, but I'm still on simple extract only recipes.

Thanks!

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew :) The amount of yeast that would be considered overpitching is vastly greater than 3-4 packs of fromunda yeast. As a matter of fact, 3-4 packs would be pitching just the right amount. Anything less, and you're underpitching. Even better, get some Safale US-05 or S-04 yeast and use instead of fromunda.

More is usually better. Technically though, 3-4 packets for a regular refill would be overpitching I believe. They're generally somewhere around 1.05 OG right? At that OG and 2.13 gallons, you should pitch 4 g of dry yeast which I believe would be 2 Mr. Beer yeasts. I usually pitch more than that on a Mr. Beer batch and that's fine but you don't have to worry about getting 4 packets for a regular Mr. Beer batch IMO.

I pitch full Danstar and Fermentis 11g packs with no problems, great success.

It's possible to harm a beer by overpitching, but it takes a lot to do that. As dferron noted, 11.5 g in a Mr Beer sized batch is not overdoing it, so 6 g is definitely not overdoing it.

I forget how much it takes to be enough that it's a problem, but underpitching is a much more likely problem than overpitching.

The best way to know how much to pitch is to use Mr. Malty's Pitching Rate Calculator - you put in the batch size, OG, type of yeast, and the manufacture date to determine viability, it will tell you how much to pitch. To have any ill effects from overpitching, you would need to pitch 10x the recommended amount. So, RDWHAHB!

MedWonk wrote:

What would the benefit be of adding more yeast?

It would start fermenting sooner, do there is less of a chance of infection. Having enough year also means less stress on the yeast, so you get fewer off flavors.

Brian1179 wrote:

it would take a ton of yeast to get into overpitching.

+1

I recently read that it is almost impossible to "overpitch". you could, but it would take so much yeast that it would be an almost "intentional" thing

Thanks all!

Follow up question. I pitched with 3 packets of MB yeast.

Does that mean I should check the gravity sooner? I wasn't planning to check it for almost 3 weeks.

Is there a greater risk of off flavors by having more yeast and letting it sit?

voltronguy wrote:

Thanks all!

Follow up question. I pitched with 3 packets of MB yeast.

Does that mean I should check the gravity sooner? I wasn't planning to check it for almost 3 weeks.

Is there a greater risk of off flavors by having more yeast and letting it sit?

Three packets is ok... (6 grams or about half of a SafAle pack)

No, stick to the original time schedule...

You would have to have way too much yeast to run the risk of off flavors from sitting on the trub too long, and it would take more than three to four weeks...

Brew on!

:)

Guest System Admin

No problem 3 weeks then take the FG.
Or take one at 20 days.

3 grams of fromundra is not going to cause any issues.

Many use a full 11 gram pkt of Fermentis dry yeast, a 5 gal dose of yeast. I never have any issues, other then better cleaner beer

When using MRB yeast I pitch at least 2 for HME+UME batch. If I add booster or additional UME/LME or any other adjunct, I pitch 3.

Takes way longer sitting on yeast bed to create any off flavors.