Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MedWonk

Question about "lagering"

So, I know lagering in the sense of brewing with a lager yeast at lower temperatures, but Mr. Beer seems to be using it differently.

Is lagering in this case meant to refer to just conditioning? Or does it also include carbonating the beer? For example, if it says to lager for at least one month, do they mean carbonate and condition for at least one month, or they simply mean condition for one month after carbonating?

MedWonk wrote:

So, I know lagering in the sense of brewing with a lager yeast at lower temperatures, but Mr. Beer seems to be using it differently.

Is lagering in this case meant to refer to just conditioning? Or does it also include carbonating the beer? For example, if it says to lager for at least one month, do they mean carbonate and condition for at least one month, or they simply mean condition for one month after carbonating?

I take it to mean 1 month of conditioning after carbing. And you're right about the way they use the term lagering.

And I'm assuming when conditioning, the temperature is kept within the range for the yeast used, right?

MedWonk wrote:

And I'm assuming when conditioning, the temperature is kept within the range for the yeast used, right?

Correct. Condition at room temp. Then in the fridge a couple days.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with how fast you guys respond on this forum. Thanks for the replies!

if you brewed with the Ale yeast, then yes, "lager" at room temp.
The process normally takes 2 weeks for the priming sugar to carbinate the beer. In the following 2 weeks, the reactivated yeast tends to fininsh off the carbination, then starts eating any sugars that may have been left over during fermentation.

Mr. Beer uses the term pretty loosely. Lager beers are brewed with lager yeasts which are brewed with lager yeasts at lower temps. Beers with lager yeasts take a lot longer since the yeast works slower. I like to also do a diacytel rest after about 2-3 weeks in the primary. I raise the temp to about 65 for 2-3 days then take the temp back down as close to 50-55 degrees F as possible.

I have made some very good lagers with liquid and dry yeast at fridge temps (40 degrees F). Just takes a lot longer.