Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SenorPepe

Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA clone.

I love this beer but can't get it out in Wisconsin any more. I recently got a ton of Simcoe, Amarillo and Warrior hops so I figured it would be perfect to recreate a DFH 90. Here's the 5 gallon recipe, from HBT:

All-Grain - Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP007
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.085
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 90
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2wks @ 64
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2wks @ 70
Tasting Notes: Dead on 90 minute clone

This is formulated at 70% efficiency, add or subtract 2-row to adjust to your efficiency.

16lbs 2-row
1lb Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt* (see note below)
3oz Amarillo
1oz Simcoe
1oz Warrior
Mix all hops together, and hop continuously for 90min** (see note below)
Mash at 149-150*
Ferment with WLP007 at 64*. Use a pitch rate calculator for your starter, you want around 300 billion cells.

Dry hop:
2oz Amarillo
2oz Simcoe
I like to split the additions in half over the 2 weeks

*Amber malt: Use Thomas Fawcett Amber Malt, don't just use any old amber malt. If you can't find Thomas Fawcett Amber, look harder. This is the exact malt DFH uses, and it's a distinctive flavor. It's available at quite a few online retailers if your LHBS doesn't carry it.

**Hopping: Mix all 5oz of hops together, how often you add them is up to you. Some people add a couple pellets every minute, others fill up 30 dixie cups, and add one cup per 3 minutes. Personally I do 10 additions, 0.5oz every 10 minutes, and it turns out excellent.

That's about it, it's actually a fairly easy beer to brew other than the continuous hoping. If you can't find WLP007, use WYeast 1098 - Dry Whitbread, or Safale S04. Definitely use WLP007 if it's available, the yeast character is dead on.

I used Wyeast Thames Valley Ale instead of the Whitbread strain simply because whoever stocked the yeast put it in the wrong place and of course I did not check before starting to brew. This yeast is an absolute monster. The description doesn't say anything about top-cropping, but after about 24 hours this batch started blowing off like crazy. The (really crappy) picture below shows this yeast blowing out the top. What's crazy is that it's 3 degrees below the low end of its range (59 degrees) and there's only about 2.25 gallons in that 3 gallon Better Bottle. I can usually fit 2.5 with zero blowoff.
1217111127.jpg
This time, I almost had a disaster. Woke up in the morning, checked it, and noticed the BB was bulging a little bit. Gave it a little squeeze and saw that the airlock was clogged. I pulled it out, spraying a fine mist of delicious hop nectar all over my apartment, cat and girlfriend. The ladies were less than impressed. Anyway, I'm going to add some boiled DME today to compensate for bad efficiency and low volume. Then comes the dry hopping and finally drinking! :cheers:

I'd suggest it. I see you are doing a Pliny clone right now. I was torn between the two, but then I realized I love 90 Min while I have never even tried Pliny, and I had all the hops.

While DFH90 is one of the best IPA's out there, IMHO Pliny IS the best. Very tough to get, even in their distribution areas. If I can get my hands on some stock, maybe we can do a swap.

I'd love to once I've got a few extra bucks (after the holidays). PM me if you get any and let me know what you want.

Will do. I've been holding onto my last one for a special occasion. They are not very expensive. $5 or so for a 16oz (i think) bottle.

Monkeyman wrote:

Is this scalable/ convertible to an extract batch for an LBK, or is that just crazy thinking?

No, not crazy at all...this is actually a pretty simple recipe. If you can get the amber malt listed (assuming you want a true clone - if not, just use some crystal malt) you just need some DME/LME and the listed hops (about half of all of the amounts).

KZ wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

Is this scalable/ convertible to an extract batch for an LBK, or is that just crazy thinking?

No, not crazy at all...this is actually a pretty simple recipe. If you can get the amber malt listed (assuming you want a true clone - if not, just use some crystal malt) you just need some DME/LME and the listed hops (about half of all of the amounts).

I've been messing around with beersmith, I will put the recipe in and then scale/convert and see what I end up with.

Yeah, the recipe writer seems pretty adamant about using Thomas Fawcett Amber. If that's steepable then there's no reason you can't do an extract version. As KZ mentioned, people have made substitutions for the amber malt. AFAIK, no one was 100 pleased with it as far as cloning goes, but all seemed pretty happy with the final product. I can find the actual HBT link for you if you want to substitute.

SenorPepe wrote:

Yeah, the recipe writer seems pretty adamant about using Thomas Fawcett Amber. If that's steepable then there's no reason you can't do an extract version. As KZ mentioned, people have made substitutions for the amber malt. AFAIK, no one was 100 pleased with it as far as cloning goes, but all seemed pretty happy with the final product. I can find the actual HBT link for you if you want to substitute.

Thanks, I can find the link if I need it. Will be a few batches before I can try. I just like to have a loose idea of what I want to brew in the future.

please let us know how this turns out - DFH90 is one of my faves...

Will do. It will probably be close to a month before I even bottle it, but I'll post an update when I get a pour.