Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Call4Fire

FIRST BATCH IS FERMENTING

My wife got me a Mr. Beer for Christmas and I brewed my first batch today. I made the Octoberfest Vienna Lager that came with the package and brewed precisely to the directions. I parked the keg in our guest bathroom which is the coolest in the house (~60 degrees). I inspected the keg about four hours after I made it and was very satisfied to see tiny bubbles rising and forming a krausen!! My plan is to ferment 14 days, bottle, wait 14 days and then 14 days in the fridge. Is that a pretty solid plan?

Welcome to the borg, you came to the right place to learn how to make great beer. Looks like a good plan to me, only thing I'd change is longer at room temp, and a few days in the fridg. Good Luck, Have fun and Happy brewing.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on timing, but the overall consensus is going to be "go a bit longer" on a basic refill for BEST results.

60 is a bit low for the yeast to work quickly (65 would be better), so I would consider going 3 weeks in the keg (even though it is a basic refill). Then go 4 weeks at room temp, then to the fridge.

Yeah, it sucks to wait that long for your first brew, I know.

Here's what you need to do. Regardless of how long you ferment, pop the first bottle in the fridge for 48 hours after sitting at room temp for 2 2 weeks. Try to wait a few days (3-7 ideally) and do another and then another and you'll get to TASTE what time does to a beer.

Congrats on your first brew.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Call4fire. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite Futile: we have beer.

Read the Simple Guide line, Malt to adjunct ratio.

Welcome to the MB family!

Maybe a bit cool, but better a little cool than too warm. With this temp it may take a little longer, but you will still have good beer.

Invest in a hydrometer and a Brew-O-meter.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer!

Welcome to the obsession! I don't believe I've ever been steered wrong by the borg, they know their stuff. Patience will be your best friend for your first brew, although it is extremely difficult. 2-3 weeks fermenting, 3-4 in the bottle at room temp, then a couple days in the fridge for one. Pretty sure it took me 2-3 batches before I made it that long, but it is sound advice.

Good luck, and happy brewing!!

texasbrewer0069 wrote:

Welcome... the waiting is the hardest part...

Somebody said it!

Yes your plan is solid. Welcome to the borg. As others have said, patience is golden. A bit warmer for fermenting and a bit longer for carb/conditioning, then a couple days in the fridge.

:charlie:

Tin Man

Just got done bottling. Did 19 days in the LBK and starting Thursday it was very clear, so I made the decision to go ahead.

I tasted it and it was definitely beer, room temperature and flat, but beer nonetheless. My dog seemed to enjoy the little that splashed on the floor as well!!

Based on advice here and some encouragement from my wife, will give it four weeks before I put one in the fridge and taste.

Time to wash the LBK and brew again!

Call4Fire wrote:

Just got done bottling. Did 19 days in the LBK and starting Thursday it was very clear, so I made the decision to go ahead.

I tasted it and it was definitely beer, room temperature and flat, but beer nonetheless. My dog seemed to enjoy the little that splashed on the floor as well!!

Based on advice here and some encouragement from my wife, will give it four weeks before I put one in the fridge and taste.

Time to wash the LBK and brew again!

Congrats! Awesome hobby-passion-obsession, huh?!? +1 to waiting 4 weeks. You'll be golden!

Tin Man

TinMan, it is indeed pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, I have to work this afternoon, but I am hoping to get another batch in the LBK this evening!!

Just got another batch in the LBK, Shameless Stout!

Not sure it will be sufficiently conditioned by St. Patrick's Day, but it won't miss by much.

I am not sure anyplace in my house is that warm right now, but there might be a spot in the laundry room that is close. I will park a digital thermometer in there and see where we are.

Welcome!! Hope the Octoberfest turns out great! I am trying to decide whether to start it or WCPA next. I guess thats a good problem to have lol!
Good Luck and keep posting!

Third batch is going, doing a cider in the LGK and holy smokes is there action...it looks like a jaccuzi is running. I can't believe that little package of yeast has produced so much movement in the brew!!

Cool. Did you note in the instructions that cider is supposed to ferment at higher temps?

TIn Man