Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GioGomez2010

Made My First Batch!

So I made my first batch today and it is sitting in the Keg fermenting as of 9 hours ago! I'm way excited and can't wait to taste my first brew 4-6 from now (If I can go that long without sampling!) Haha. I had one questions though:

I stored the keg in a top shelf with no light but in a room that's constantly the recommended temperature of 65-75 degrees. Is the no light a problem for the yeast and is it going to ruin the beer? Any help or tips would be appreciated thanks guys!

The Darker the room the better off your beer will be, Light causes Hops to skunk and give bad flavors. Your Doing it right.

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center GioGomez2010. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: We have beer.

So far, so good. Read the Simple Guide Line. It will answer most/all your questions. good links in there too.

welcome to the borg GioGomez2010 :cheers:

like YD normally says. Dont perv the lbk, the yeasties will stop doing what they are doing and perv back... :P:P:P anyway, you got it correctly. just walk away for 14 to 21 days and you will be golden.

Patience is the hardest part but I've been reading a lot on here and have realized that that is beers most important ingredient! It will be hard but I can't wait! Thanks for the info and encouragement!

Best way to help the patience is to get some good craft beer and start harvesting bottles (pry off tops only). That way when you want to make the switch to glass, you already have an inventory. Works wonders.

Howdy and welcome! I'm four months into the obsession and patience is still the hardest part, although I am getting better! I let my OVL carb/condition for a full 4 weeks before doing a tester, then let the rest go another 2 weeks. Much better after the 6 weeks than the 4. Again, welcome! :party:

gophers6 wrote:

Another good way to pass the time is to plan your next brew.

+100, dat, and drink'n lots of micro brews with free beer on you way to collecting bottles!

Welcome and sounds like your doing everything right.Main thing to remember is time is your friend here and the more your patient the better your beer will be .My first batch I did 7 & 7 and it was good but I knew I could do better.Now 3 years later I am doing AG 5 gallon batches and not even sampling a brew until it's been in the bottle for a month.Loving every minute of it and you too will soon be.Good Luck !!

Congratulations on your first batch! Keep posting, sounds like you are off to a great start!! Pro'ly want to consider getting another LBK (little brown keg) so you can brew more than one at a time.

:charlie:

Tin Man

As Yankeedag so eloquently put it in the "Simple Guidelines" sticky, treat your beer like a vampire you want to keep around.

Light = Bad
Dark = Good

From your original post, it sounds as if you're doing everything right as far as temperature and darkness go.

Follow the 2-2-2 rule, and you'll be enjoying delicious beer!

And welcome to the Borg!

So guys just an update! I was able to walk away from the LBK for a couple of days and not peek in but as I did today there was a good layer of bubbles/foam at the top of the barrel and as I opened the door of the small closet I keep it in I was hit with an amazing odor! It smelt like freaking beer! So it means it must be going good. A week and two days before bottling since I"m going for the 2-2-2 method, can't wait!

Ahhh, fresh beer, that is the best aroma any one could be greeted with. You know, someone should make a beer scented candle. Every man would have one... or many in their house.

congrats, i am also one my very first batch. today is the start of week 2 of fermenting. (wcpa) my wife got me the kit for christmas and i am looking forward to trying alot of good brews to come. i just ordered my 2nd batch (brew ha ha bock) hope it tastes as good as is sounded. what are you thinking of for your next batch?

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center cwolfley. You will be assimilated. Resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

For more information, read the Simple Guide Line (as well as the carbination guide by screwy) and the Malt to Adjunct ratio.

GioGomez2010 wrote:

So guys just an update! I was able to walk away from the LBK for a couple of days and not peek in but as I did today there was a good layer of bubbles/foam at the top of the barrel and as I opened the door of the small closet I keep it in I was hit with an amazing odor! It smelt like freaking beer! So it means it must be going good. A week and two days before bottling since I"m going for the 2-2-2 method, can't wait!

Might I suggest saving a few bottles for longer? It really makes a difference. I was just looking at the bottling date on Ranger IPA, Sept. 4th 2011, and it tastes amazing! I am going to try and save my bottles for at least a month before I crack one open and am going to save a few bottles from each batch to see if they improve with an added 3 months. I am sure they will.

TheAmericanDream wrote:

Could someone reference me to a thread that explains the 2-2-2 method further? Thanks!

Mr Beer Fans FAQ

2-2-2: Despite what the Mr. Beer mix instructions may say, your beer will not be ready in two weeks. Good beer is an exercise in patience. Rush it and you'll have watery, cidery, flat, disappointing beer. This is the #1 reason why Mr. Beer gets a bad name. For beginner Mr. Beer users making ales (the only kind of yeast Mr. Beer includes with their kits), we strongly recommend 2 weeks fermenting at 65-75 degrees, 2 weeks carbonating in the bottles at 65-75 degrees, and 2 weeks cold conditioning at fridge temps. 2-2-2. You'll hear it over and over on the board because it's the single best thing you can do for your beer. Oh, can't get all your bottles in the fridge at once? No worries. Get in what you can and "rotate" the stock. When you drink one, toss a warm one in the back to begin conditioning.

Congrats and I'm on my second week of fermenting as well and it's coming along nice! I got a good layer of trub at the bottom, got some floaters that are slowly coming down and over all the process is coming along nicely. For my next batch I'm throwing in the Cowboy Golden Lager that came with the kit but I will be purchasing the WCPA for my 3rd batch since I'm a Pale Ale fanatic! Good luck with the Bock!

Absolutely I will follow the advice and save some bottles! Also, I can tell you're a good man drinking Ranger IPA Haha. But I'm planning on saving a bottle or two from this batch and letting it sit for much longer to taste the difference.

If you are unsure if your' beer is completely fermented, then let it sit for a 3rd week. I did this, and then I let the beer sit for 2 weeks in the bottles in a dark closet, then I put them in the fridge, and let me tell you, it made a big difference. I split one early with a friend of mine and it was sweet because the yeast hadn't had time to completely eat all of the sugar, and that was only 2 days early. I waited for a while before opening the next one, and it was much better. More time is always better than not enough.