GOF

First batch is in the the LBK.

Now for the hard part. Waiting...
imagesqtbnANd9GcTWXf_69IenJF2DkUPsJaoULu

Cowboy Golden Lager
booster recipe per standard instructions
bottled spring water
OG 1.046 @ 68°F

No officer, I'm not loitering. I'm just waiting for my beer to ferment.

If I haven't said before, Welcome the the MB family!

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer!

2 wks ferment
2 wks carb
2 wks condition
2-3 days in the fridge

If you haven't already, invest in a hydrometer. It is a most valuable tool in your brewing process.

Congrats! CGL was my first one too. Ended up being best after about 10 weeks in the bottle, but your results may vary.

Best thing to take your mind off of waiting for this batch to be ready is to start planning your next brewday. I should know I have four Mr. Beer fermentors going right now with Oktoberfest style lagers and two LBKs that also double as secondaries or a bottling bucket.

Thanks guys. I picked up a hydrometer at the local home brew store today. That's how I got the initial reading. ;) I'm thinking about getting another LBK or two.

I've been wondering though. Should I keep the cover on tight, or loose?

GOF wrote:

Thanks guys. I picked up a hydrometer at the local home brew store today. That's how I got the initial reading. ;) I'm thinking about getting another LBK or two.

I leave mine kind of half way between tight and loose.

Welcome to the obsession! The waiting is the hardest part. Keep the lid on just tight enough to seal firmly. Too loose and nasties can get in. Too tight and you may block the vents or crack the lid. Don't over think it. Just screw it on and leave it alone

GOF wrote:

you wanna get more than one hydrometer. they are pack animals, by them selves they tend to commmit suacide. so i recemond more than one.

Guest System Admin

yankeedag wrote:

twist til slightly snug..back off 1/4 turn.

+1 I do the same

I like 3 weeks in the LBK better than 2weeks, think it cleans up better and is ready to drink faster

Welcome aboard GOF!

Three weeks sounds good. I should have a good stock of bottles by then. When I think of all the bottles I've turned in for the 5¢ deposit.

Took a look last night. Seems to be coming along nicely. Thin layer on top. Thin layer on bottom. Seems like those little buggers are bussy doing there job.

I did notice I had a small drip from the spigot. Cranked it down about another little bit. Now the spigot is sideways. Looks odd but stopped the drip. Gonna have to figure out how to pour sideways come bottling time. :S :side:

GOF wrote:

Took a look last night. Seems to be coming along nicely. Thin layer on top. Thin layer on bottom. Seems like those little buggers are bussy doing there job.

I did notice I had a small drip from the spigot. Cranked it down about another little bit. Now the spigot is sideways. Looks odd but stopped the drip. Gonna have to figure out how to pour sideways come bottling time. :S :side:

Tilt your bottle at 45* to the spigot. :side:

At some point in the last two days the krausen has disappeared. This is normal, right?

OK, what are the little chunks floating in my beer? :huh:

photo11.jpg

GOF wrote:

Get some tubing at a brew shop to put over the spigot to the bottling wand. You might enjoy bottling this way more, since you won't have to lift the bottles.

The chunks are clusters of yeast (they have a name but I can't remember). They'll rise when the CO2 lifts them, and fall when it is released.

Guest System Admin

Also the Krausen that was on top breaks up and moves around a little and looks strange.

Just relax and stop Perving the LBK ;)

Trollby wrote:

Also the Krausen that was on top breaks up and moves around a little and looks strange.

Just relax and stop Perving the LBK ;)

I can't help it. Every time I look it's doing something else. It's fascinating I tell ya!

Getting ready to bottle this thing. I sanitized my hydrometer and test jar, the spigot and took a test sample. 1.010 @ 68°F. Poured of a bit into a glass and tasted it. Tastes like flat beer. But really sweet, thin flat beer and smells cidery. I went ahead and stuck it in the fridge for the night and will bottle early tomorrow afternoon. Hope that sweet, cideryness conditions out.

Well, it'ss in the bottles. Time will tell.