Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rebel_B

#59: Rebel_B's AG Moose Drool Brown Ale clone

Happy Holidays! Rainy day here, no outdoor activities for me today, so I decided to brew up some beer. I took an inventory of the hops I have sealed up in bags in my refrigerator, & decided to use up some with a couple of batches this week. First one brewed today:

Rebel_B's AG Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale clone
------------------------------------------------
Brewer: Rebel_B
Style: American Brown Ale
Batch: 2.40 galAll Grain

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.066 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 21 IBU
Recipe Color: 32° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.017
Alcohol by Volume: 6.4%
Alcohol by Weight: 5.0%

Ingredients
-----------
Black Barley 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Chocolate Malt (US) 0.13 lb, Grain, Mashed
Crystal 60L 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Two-row (US) 5.00 lb, Grain, Mashed

Fuggles (17g) 0.60 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Fuggles (7g) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 0 minutes
Hallertauer (7g) 0.25 oz, Whole, 30 minutes

Irish Moss 0.25 unit, Fining, 1/4 tsp last 30 minutes
Wyeast 1028 - London Ale™ 1.00 unit, Yeast, Temperature Range: 60°-72° F (ABV 10%) Med-Low Floculation
Yeast nutrient 0.25 unit, Other, 1/4 tsp last 15 minutes

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Based on a BYO magazine recipe published November 2011. Mash grain(s) in bag in 3 gallons of water at 154deg for 60 minutes, mash-out at 168deg. Remove grain bag & squeeze out excess wort from grain bag. Boil for 60 minutes, follow hop & other additions -per schedule. Pitch yeast at 72 deg, ferment for 66-68 deg.

Batch Notes:
After adding grains & stirring, temperature was standing at 158 deg, so I added about a quart of cool water to bring temperature down to 154. Came in a bit short on the post boil volume, added 2 quarts cool water to LBK. Wort tasted good: OG: 1.062 @ 72 degrees.

Update on this batch... Crazy, active looking fermentation. The wort is roiling with activity, I can see bubbles coming up but almost no foam on top. First time using this Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast, also, my first all-grain batch. I'll update this thread when it's all done.

I did a batch of this today. I missed the OG somehow. (first all grain and mash for me)

Hopville calculated it to come out at 1.072 and I got 1.058. My wort temp was about 138 after an hour. It started at 158 ish.

Did you do the 'straight up'recipe, as published, or did you make a few modifications? I know that I come up with different numbers (OG, IBU, SRM, etc.) when I plug in the recipe into Qbrew, than what was published in the magazine...

I did it the way you wrote it up but with Nottingham yeast.

I was impressed how dark the wort came out after mashing.

The Kreussan is alot different on this batch then any of the others that I have done. Appearently it worked up pretty good at some point and left residue on the sides of the LBK but after only a day or two the top has dropped out almost completly. Just a few floaties on top the wort now. I didn't even see much of the head.

here is a pic before it all dropped.
photo4-3.jpg

tywinter wrote:

The Kreussan is alot different on this batch then any of the others that I have done. Appearently it worked up pretty good at some point and left residue on the sides of the LBK but after only a day or two the top has dropped out almost completly. Just a few floaties on top the wort now. I didn't even see much of the head.

here is a pic before it all dropped.
photo4-3.jpg

Same here... Figured I would take a hydrometer reading soon & see if fermentation is done or not.

Rebel_B wrote:

tywinter wrote:

Same here... Figured I would take a hydrometer reading soon & see if fermentation is done or not.

Hydro is still reading 1.022 after a couple days reading(s); with the expected FG a bit lower than that, I pitched one pack of MrB fromunda yeast into the fermenter, vigorously stirred (aerated) the wort, to see if I can coax a bit more fermentation out of this batch. I'm hopeful, the mostly fermented wort tastes good.

wait! What? You aerated a week into fermentation?

Edit: if you get a stuck fermentation you can add a yeast packet, yeast nutrients and/or GENTLY rock the keg to resuspend the yeast. But aerating now will likely make your beer go stale way too soon. I hope not though, this sounds like a great recipe.

Guest System Admin

+1 above

Best to rehydrate yeast in 4oz water or so and that way is ready to go and pour in "gently" if you sanitize a spoon you can "Gently" give it a turn but never aerate after a primary fermentation has completed even if stuck

I am keeping notes, so if it doesn't work, I won't do it again. My first all grain batch, no extract flavor/tang.

tywinter wrote:

I never tried that before. What harm will it do?

Never tried what? Aerating later in the fermentation process?

During the initial stages of fermentation, yeast need oxygen in order to synthesize unsaturated fatty acids and sterols in order to create new cell walls to reproduce. Once the initial stage is over, oxygen leads to faster staling. Aerating the brew after the first day or so is bad because your beer will go stale faster. If you drink it soon enough, you might be okay, but over time, it will develop a taste that is often compared with wet cardboard.

My batch is at 1.020 after almost 2 weeks fermenting. I plan to let it finish out the three week stage then I'll cold crash and bottle. Tasted good but is still very dark in color. (I'll still drink it. ; ) )

tywinter wrote:

My batch is at 1.020 after almost 2 weeks fermenting. I plan to let it finish out the three week stage then I'll cold crash and bottle. Tasted good but is still very dark in color. (I'll still drink it. ; ) )

I checked the gravity on this one today; at 1.020 today. Same here, very dark, tastes good!

Washing the yeast from this batch and I find it impressive they way the layers are so distinctive.

photo2-2-11.jpg

tywinter wrote:

I bottled mine today. FG bottomed out at 1.018.

You bottle yet?

Yeah, mine is in bottles, conditioning. I'm not at home now to check my notes, but I think mine finished at 1.020. If that's not right, I'll make another post here.
That picture of the yeast looks pretty cool!

Popped open a test bottle of this one... tasty, kinda fruity English yeast flavors, a little darker than I expected. This one is pretty tasty! Moose_Drool_Pour.JPG

Rebel_B wrote:

Popped open a test bottle of this one... tasty, kinda fruity English yeast flavors, a little darker than I expected. This one is pretty tasty! Moose_Drool_Pour.JPG

Looks very tasty. The moose drool is making me drool.

Rebel

How long was your in the bottle before you opened the tester?

Mine will be bottled two weeks this sunday.

tywinter wrote:

Rebel

How long was your in the bottle before you opened the tester?

Mine will be bottled two weeks this sunday.

I think I bottled this on 1/16/12... But since I don't have the notes on my phone, I'll double check later (it's not raining, so I'm riding my bike all day). Seems like another advantage of all-grain brewing may be that many batches are ready to drink after a simple carbonation phase. I'll pop another open & verify before I move it to my 'now drinking' area!

Kealia wrote:

Mmm.....Moose Drool!

moose-drool.jpg

I like that image! May have to use that in a label....

Ok...I ran out of patience. Had to pop the top on a tester. Very good overall. A little too much coffee noted in my opinion.

photo-8-4.jpg

Kealia wrote:

Mmm.....Moose Drool!

moose-drool.jpg

Just finished drinking the last bottles of this batch last night. Turns out, this one was a 'hit', so I think I'm going to brew it again later this week!

Popped a couple over the past week. Either the are getting alot better or they are really growing on me. They are getting to the point that I would do another batch.

Not one that I will drink daily, but I do repsect the bold flavors.