Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

HELP!!!

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am new to this.
I am having trouble understanding "HME","UME", and "BOOSTER"
when making two gallons, do you have to use two cans of either HME or UME and can you use "BOOSTER" in any of the recipes? Or am I just asking a stupid question?

You need a can of HME because it has the hops for bitterness.

To that, you can add UME and/or Booster. Some HME cans are designed to be used with two HME.

All malt is usually best, but Booster is okay if it isn't too much of the total.

Welcome to the Borg!

Please read: http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=8&id=123726

It explains alot. All I will add is, if you use the standard recipe you probably got with your kit, you have one HME (hopped malt extract) and one bag of booster. It will make good beer, but I highly recommend you measure out one cup of booster and throw the rest in the trash can. It will taste better, u will have good beer. Feel free to ask anythang, don't be shy, there are lots on here that love to help. We've all been there!

BTW ... Welcome to the MB family!

There are NO stupid questions here. Only questions that we don't yet have an answer to.

If you go to the MB home site and look at some of the "Recipes" not the ingredients, you will see how the combination of HME, UME, and booster go together to make a particular beer. All of the recipes have at least one HME (Hoopped) Malt Extract and a UME (Unhopped) Malt Extract OR a Booster OR both.

Two cans of HME will double the hop bitterness. Booster is an expensive way to add some body and ABV to the brew. It is cheaper than adding a can of UME.

As said above, read the stickies. Also, there are Podcasts that are helpful in answering questions.

Again, Welcome!

dferron wrote:
[quote
There are NO stupid questions here. Only questions that we don't yet have an answer to.

Just wait!!! You haven't been here long enough. Soon the after New Year's, the troll's will arrive. They tend to come out after the new year.

comfort241 wrote:

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am new to this.
I am having trouble understanding "HME","UME", and "BOOSTER"
when making two gallons, do you have to use two cans of either HME or UME and can you use "BOOSTER" in any of the recipes? Or am I just asking a stupid question?

What ingredients do you have? Read the simple guidlines for the best explanation.

Usually for the basic recipes, it is 1 HME and I UME; or 1 HME and 1 Booster. But you can do several different combinations depending on your recipes. Just start off with the basic recipes then progress.

Ahhhh! I forgot about the Trolls. We had one just a few weeks ago. :S He sure did keep out attention for over 30 posts as I recall :unsure:

comfort241 wrote:

...I am having trouble understanding "HME","UME", and "BOOSTER" when making two gallons, do you have to use two cans of either HME or UME and can you use "BOOSTER" in any of the recipes? Or am I just asking a stupid question?

Welcome aboard The Obsession comfort241! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Set your course and sail on over to our New Brewers and FAQs area of the forum and read over the 'Malt To Adjunct Ratios' sticky. Remember for the best tasting beer you'll want no less than 66% of the alcohol to come from malts and no more than 33% of the alcohol to come from sugars or other adjuncts.

These short but informative videos will help sort things out for you.

Mr Beer How-To Videos

They include:

Brewing a Standard Recipe; HME + Booster
Brewing a Deluxe Recipe; HME + UME
Brewing a Premium Recipe; HME + HME
Brewing an Advanced Recipe; Many combinations often including hops (dry hopping).

Hi everyone! I am about to embark on my very first brewing experience, and have a question about booster. I was lucky enough to get the Mr. Beer kit for xmas, which does not contain booster, nor, does it mention it in the instructions. The two HME's included are American Devil IPA and Witty Monk Witbier. The variety pack I purchased separately, however, does contain a packet of booster. So, my question is, in what circumstances is booster required (preferred) when using Mr. Beer HME'S?

Guest System Admin

First off Welcome Aboard T.A.D.!

Booster is only needed if you have just 1 HME unless you want a 2% ABV beer.

The ADIPA and WWM are Premium beers with two HME and no booster is required unless you want to boost the ABV. I would recommend trying them original first to see what you think before changing the recipe.

The variety packs come in different sets (2pack or 3pack) and different recipes (American series and International series).

Around here the international seems to be the only one I can find any more, that is why I have 5 sets. I keep looking for the American series, but no luck local.

These sets are "Basic Recipes" and make a lighter beer since not all malt. I like the variety packs because I use the HME to make other recipes and use the booster to Batch Prime my beers (I do use booster in some recipes).

Hope this helps

Around here the international seems to be the only one I can find any more, that is why I have 5 sets. I keep looking for the American series, but no luck local.

Trollby, Do you have any Rural King Stores around you ? the one by me carries them all year round for $34.99 +tax

Guest System Admin

DesreveR wrote:

Trollby, Do you have any Rural King Stores around you ? the one by me carries them all year round for $34.99 +tax

Nope none around here. But I buy mine for around $19 or so for 3pak, $35 is pretty steep

Trollby wrote:

DesreveR wrote:

Nope none around here. But I buy mine for around $19 or so for 3pak, $35 is pretty steep

Yeah that is pretty steep.