Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
losman26

beware of bottled water

I was getting ready to brew up a 5 gal batch, and realized that one of my bottles was leaking water. The other bottles had little floaties in them as well. I traded them for another brand, and while driving home one of the bottles tipped sideways when I made a turn, and leaked out a little bit. What hell is wrong with the seal on these one gallon bottles? Is it really that bad that it starts leaking by simply turning over a little bit? I'm convinced that had I not inspected these water bottles, I would've thrown away $80 for the recipe kit I'm gonna make.

Monkeyman wrote:

Was it a name brand water bottle?

stop and shop, then I traded for poland spring

Good save, I use bottled water also but never really looked at them....just gab and go. I use Deer Park spring water, what was the brand with the "floaties"?

bucknut wrote:

Good save, I use bottled water also but never really looked at them....just gab and go. I use Deer Park spring water, what was the brand with the "floaties"?

stop and shop, which I use all the time

bucknut wrote:

Same here, I use deer park and haven't had an issue....yet... :blink:

I only use tap water. I still make great beer I don't want to lug the water from the store to home, and add (I know its minimal) yet another cost to brewing. I guess I'm lucky to have decent tap water.

I would use tap water, but I don't trust it. I live less than a mile from a dump, so I don't entirely trust it.

losman26 wrote:

I would use tap water, but I don't trust it. I live less than a mile from a dump, so I don't entirely trust it.

I live between the dump and the water treatment plant, tap is fine. For me the cost is minimal to use bottled water and I know that it is more consistent than my tap water as far as taste/minerals and such.

You live less than a mile from the dump but do you use municipal water? If so it isn't a problem. If you use well water it could be. Either way you can always have the water tested.

GOF wrote:

You live less than a mile from the dump but do you use municipal water? If so it isn't a problem. If you use well water it could be. Either way you can always have the water tested.

Even with municipal water you'd be surprised what can leach into the supply lines from the ground. I feel my tap water would be fine for brewing, however, I prefer bottled as it is more consistent.

Guest System Admin

I use tap water run through my Britta filter.

I sanitize my gallon jugs and days before I fill the jugs and place in Fridge for good cold water to bring wort temp down in not doing full boil.

My tap water is good, could use strait up but want to remove the floride and clorine they add

Trollby wrote:

I use tap water run through my Britta filter.

I sanitize my gallon jugs and days before I fill the jugs and place in Fridge for good cold water to bring wort temp down in not doing full boil.

My tap water is good, could use strait up but want to remove the floride and clorine they add

I use brita filtered water for the boil, and cold bottled water to put in the carboy or LBK.

i use bottled water. not the kind that everybody thinks of though. i go to a water store and get 5 gallon jugs filled(i have 6 5 gallon jugs to fill when i go). when it is time for me to brew i fill 1 gallon jugs up from there and put them in the freezer for 2 and one half hours and they are cold enough for brewing.

I use bottled water because my tap water smells and tastes like a swimming pool even after filtered. I know I can use campden tablets but it just makes things even more complicated.

Last year I noticed the 2.5 gallon jugs available at the local grocery store seemed to be much more fragile than the older ones. After comparing them side by side it seems the plastic is much thinner. I inspect all the ones in the store carefully because it is so easy to find one that has cracked at the seems and some of the water has leaked out.

GOF wrote:

Well, I use brita water for the boils, and bottled for the lbk or carboy. I think from here on out, i'm gonna get a bigger brita pitcher and just go with that.

My tap water is good, but to give you an example on why I don't trust it. The first time I used StarSan with my tap water and the sanitizing solution was extremely cloudy. I used Brita filtered water and the star san solution was crystal clear. I think it's heavily chlorinated. After barely catching floaties in my bottled water, and the bottle leaking, I don't think I'll go with it anymore.