Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
miniaturepeddler

New Brewer and Wooter

Hello everyone.
Thought I would introduce myself. I have a good friend who has been home brewing for a bit and sharing his creations with the group. I saw the Woot sale of the starter kits, so thought I would join in and contribute, so picked up two barrels.
Stopped over and picked up some alternative refill kits here at Mr beer along with a glass bottling kit.
So it looks like I will begin my adventure as soon as They are delivered.

Question (first of many) what is the true difference between the beer kit and the cider kits? Is is mostly a differences between the mashes? Is the basic equipment the same? Ie do you have to buy some extras to use the beer starter kit to make a hard cider? I also assume the ciders are different from the fruit flavored beers? (I picked up one of these from the MB store and look forward to trying them also) .

Hey me too.. also bought the Czech Pilsner kit and the glass bottles too, hope to be brewing with you here soon.

cider kits are made with apples and beer kits are malt and hops. you could use the same equipment to make both, ciders are different then beers

I don't have a cider kit, but if I'm not mistaken, it has a clear fermenter. Clear isn't a problem with cider because it doesn't have hops, but if you use a clear fermenter with beer, you need to keep it completely protected from UV light (mainly sunlight and fluorescent light, but also some LED lights) or it will trigger a reaction with the hops that will produce sulfur compounds that smell like a skunk's spray.

miniaturepeddler wrote:

Hello everyone.
Thought I would introduce myself. I have a good friend who has been home brewing for a bit and sharing his creations with the group. I saw the Woot sale of the starter kits, so thought I would join in and contribute, so picked up two barrels.
Stopped over and picked up some alternative refill kits here at Mr beer along with a glass bottling kit.
So it looks like I will begin my adventure as soon as They are delivered.

Question (first of many) what is the true difference between the beer kit and the cider kits?
If your talking mr beer, the kegs are different. as stated already, the beer keg is dark brown to help prevent utlraviolet light from getting in and interacting with the hops.
The Cider Kit has a greenish keg, as there are no hops normally used in cider, therefore, no need to worry about light.

Is is mostly a differences between the mashes?
The Beer will use Malt, adjuncts,hops, and Ale or Lager yeast.
The cider will use Apple Juice/honey(making it a cyser)/sugar/spices/wine or champagne yeast.

Is the basic equipment the same?
Generally, you'll need a bigger pot for the beer boils...you'll have Malt extracts or grains to boil. Hop additions that require boils, etc.
With the Ciders, Generally, you can get away with boiling just the spices and other additives as the Apple Juice is pre sanitized prior to purchase.

Ie do you have to buy some extras to use the beer starter kit to make a hard cider?

If you do a search, there is a Nong Cider you can make with just your kegg and the store bought ingredients..well, the yeast should be gottne at Mr Beer or your LHBS...or on line.

I also assume the ciders are different from the fruit flavored beers?
Very much so. Cats and Dogs kinda thing.

(I picked up one of these from the MB store and look forward to trying them also) .

Guest System Admin

Welcome aboard!

YD covered it pretty good.

As far as Fruit beers -vs- Cider it is a Beer with fruit added and Cider does not "Normally" have malt or hops (but you can add malt, hops are not as good in cider)

Most Ciders are made from "Tree" fruit were as Fruit flavored beers are made with any fruit and Ciders can have other fruits added but mainly Apple (I.E. Wood-chuck Raspberry cider).

Many here just get a second LBK and use it for cider when they want, but usable for beer too, were as the cider Keg (LGK) is not recommended for beer fermentation.

Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good info.
Plus I watched several of the Mr beer videos (great info there) and saw the one on ciders, which answered some of my questions very visually (he used the brown jug for his demo).

Welcome aboard miniaturepeddler ! And Happy New Year all !
I also have a question : Will making a cider ( kit ) Produce TRUB ? Years ago, I made a persimmon wine with sugar & dry yeast & It had a significant amount of ( what I called TRUB ) I'm thinking about ordering a cider kit just for the thrill of it.....

JV wrote:

Welcome aboard miniaturepeddler ! And Happy New Year all !
I also have a question : Will making a cider ( kit ) Produce TRUB ? Years ago, I made a persimmon wine with sugar & dry yeast & It had a significant amount of ( what I called TRUB ) I'm thinking about ordering a cider kit just for the thrill of it.....

Yes, trub is mostly yeast, unless you are doing a recipe with lots of particles (spices, grain bits, pureed fruit, etc) which will also become part of the trub.

Edit: I don't know how much the cider kits will make, I've never made one. I did make cider from Organic Juice I got at Sprouts once, and it had relatively little trub in comparison to my beers.

Welcome miniaturepeddler! As you can see, a bunch of fine folks live here just waiting to provide helpful information! Enjoy the new hobby.

Side note to YD: Despite your invaluable information to Robyn, you seem to have neglected to assimilate her!

:charlie:

Tin Man

Tin Man wrote:

Welcome miniaturepeddler! As you can see, a bunch of fine folks live here just waiting to provide helpful information! Enjoy the new hobby.

Side note to YD: Despite your invaluable information to Robyn, you seem to have neglected to assimilate her!

:charlie:

Tin Man

:huh: Eh Wot? How RUDE of me! Well, buggar! I shall remedy that at this very moment!
:borg: Welcoome to the BeerBorg Information Center miniaturepeddler. You will be assimilated. Resistance is QUITE FUTILE: We have beer, Cider, cyser, some wine, and pretty much anything you want to brew. :woohoo: