Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
comfort241

Water temp

After pouring in my "wort" and adding cold water. the mixture has to be a certain temp before adding my yeast, what should I do if the temp of my mixture is to cold? what is the proper technique for raising the water temp?

As long as your ambient air temperature is warm enough for the yeast then the proper thing is to just pitch the yeast and then leave it alone. It will warm up by itself, and the yeast also will raise the temperature as they wake up and get active. Better to pitch too cool then too hot. Too cool and you yeast will just sleep until it warms up, and then do their thing. In general, the "nasties" that can get in your beer don't like cool temps either, so they won't take over before your yeast gets going.

Always better to pitch yeast a little cooler, and let them warm up a little if you have a harder time controlling temperatures.

Pitching too cold just means a longer lag time before fermentation will begin. The longer lag time may mean a greater chance for infection. Just depends on how cold. But better to be too cold than hot.

Luckily Mr. Beer yeast is very forgiving especially if you pitch too warm.

I've cooled my wort down to the mid-50s before pitching once or twice.

No problem. As noted above, better to be too cold than too hot. Sleeping yeast is preferable to stressed or dead yeast.

RDWHAHB :drinking:

yah, considering that the yeast was likely in your refrigerator before you pitched it, a little extra time for wart to warm up is no problem.

I never had that ... my wort is always just cool enough, or a little too warm ... never had a problem.

Usually if you are doing a MB batch straight up, and following the MB directions, the pitching temp will most likely be right on. Where you can start having problems with too high of a temp is when you are boiling more water then recommended as in a hop boil. As others have said, better being a little on the cool side then too warm.