Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
StumpyMcNubs

LHBS shortage

Hey all, I have a little bit of a problem with getting/looking for/shopping for ingredients that aren't offered on this website. There are no stores within at least a 90 mile radius that caries hops, barely, wheat, etc.., let alone an LHBS. I am normally leery about buying things online, so if anyone has a/some trusted website/s that have proven themselves with quality products, reliable delivery times, and good customer service I would appreciate the help. It was complete accident that I found MR.Beer, and no one around me brews anything.
thanks all.

Highgravitybrewing.com
Northern brewer.com
Midwestsupplies.com
More beer.com

Do a google search. Pretty safe to shop online these days, and easy to find reputable companies.

SmokingTony wrote:

can't go wrong with Amazon

I have. I bought a extract kit awhile back that wasn't that great. Not very fresh ingredients. I prefer the on-line brew stores or my LHBS for fresh ingredients. Amazon is great for Mr. Beer LME with the buy 3 get 4 deal though.

I'm in the same boat - NO LBHS within 100+ miles.

Austin HomeBrew Supply has worked for me just fine. $7.99 for flat rate shipping by UPS and that helps if you order LME/DME.

SmokeDiver3zero wrote:

I'm in the same boat - NO LBHS within 100+ miles.

Austin HomeBrew Supply has worked for me just fine. $7.99 for flat rate shipping by UPS and that helps if you order LME/DME.

And free shipping over $100.00 :chug:

Ingredients Websites:
www.mrbeer.com
www.rebelbrewer.com
www.austinhomebrew.com
www.northernbrewer.com
www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

Tools & Calculators
www.thescrewybrewer.com/p/brewing-tools-formulas.html
www.beercalculus.com

DesreveR wrote:

I've done business with Northern brewer without any problems, I have an order in with Austin Home Brew Supply currently, Hopefully it will be as smooth.

Holy crap! $3.99 for a 1lb bag of DME? I pay 6.99 at the LBHS! I feel as though Ive just been raped!

I've used Midwest Supplies, Northern Brewer, and Rebel Brewer.

Totally reputable, good selection, good service. There are definitely others out there, but those three have never done me wrong.

yankeedag wrote:

Does your LHBS sell Boy Butter with that DME?

i guess i will bite
what is boy butter
it just does not sound right

Chuck N wrote:

DesreveR wrote:

I've done business with Northern brewer without any problems, I have an order in with Austin Home Brew Supply currently, Hopefully it will be as smooth.

Holy crap! $3.99 for a 1lb bag of DME? I pay 6.99 at the LBHS! I feel as though Ive just been raped!

$7.95 a pound or $14.50 for 3 pounds at my LHBS. The perk of living in Hawaii. I buy DME at dmemart.com. Very good deals and fast, free shipping.

genotype wrote:

+1 for MoreBeer. Good prices and free shipping over $59.00.

you live by one of there norther ca stores dont ya? cool i am right by the riverside showroom :woohoo: :woohoo:

Brian1179 wrote:

genotype wrote:

+1 for MoreBeer. Good prices and free shipping over $59.00.

you live by one of there norther ca stores dont ya? cool i am right by the riverside showroom :woohoo: :woohoo:

South OC, Lake Forest. Been wanting to visit the Riverside showroom, but it is still a bit of a haul. O'Shea's is pretty close, but they are expensive. Fullerton has a nice one at Addison's Homebrew Provisions.

wow dude, you live closer to morebeerhere than i though. he live in the OC too. yea, i would not want to drive from where your at to riverside. the traffic would be a killer (except maybe on weekends) then you would have to worry about the store not being open. :(

less traffic from my direction than from yours, but still not very good. maybe take a day off during the week. my former coworker lives in riverside. he designs my beer labels for me and I pay him in beer. owe him back pay since he no longer works w/ me. may just have to hand deliver his payment and pickup some supplies while i'm out there.

One word of note...while we're at it...

Me, FedoraDave, and a few others have mentioned RebelBrewer. They are one of my favorite and that's where I get my Bonlander from. I will say that they are an excellent outfit and do a very god job.

HOWEVER!!! if you are buying grains from them...be sure to handle with care. The plastic bags that they put the grains in are paper- thin....or thinner. I had ordered 3 lbs of Flaked maize once...put my hand in the box and grabbed the bag of Maize and my finger just put a hole in a bag. Luckily I was immediately able to grab a large ziplock bag and transfer it...but just be aware that the grain packaging needs to be handled with care in RebelBrewer's bags. Squeeze it too hard and you got about a 95% chance of poking a hole. No big whoop, just a note for caution-sake.

Christ872 wrote:

One word of note...while we're at it...

Me, FedoraDave, and a few others have mentioned RebelBrewer. They are one of my favorite and that's where I get my Bonlander from. I will say that they are an excellent outfit and do a very god job.

+1 I've been using them when my LHBS is out of hops I want. They have a decent selection and a quick ship time.

I have had good service from Midwest Supplies. Noticed that MoreBeer.com has some awesome prices on yeast. Since your supplies have to be shipped to you I would recommend my LHBS as well. They don't carry everything like the online big boys, but knowledge and service is great.

The Beer Essentials

One spot that hasn't been mentioned is hopsdirect.com. They only do hops and only do them in bulk, but they have good prices. I haven't bought hops from them yet, but may in the future (I just bought a bunch in bulk in a group buy, so won't need any for a while). Ebay can also be a good source for bulk hops. Sometimes the grower is selling directly and will sell for a good price since it's more than he gets from a distributor.

bpgreen wrote:

One spot that hasn't been mentioned is hopsdirect.com. They only do hops and only do them in bulk, but they have good prices. I haven't bought hops from them yet, but may in the future (I just bought a bunch in bulk in a group buy, so won't need any for a while). Ebay can also be a good source for bulk hops. Sometimes the grower is selling directly and will sell for a good price since it's more than he gets from a distributor.

Hops Direct is awesome. Great prices and great quality.

I bought 3 2oz bags from one of the hop farmers on Amazon. Wow was it cheap. I think I was in for maybe $5 for the 6oz of hops. They only had three varieties (centennial, summit, and one other one I can't remember), but the price was definitely right. I just used all of the centennial in my IPA, and they were green and fresh (even after several months in my freezer). Good to keep an eye out on Amazon or Ebay for these direct sales. Hopsdirect is also on my radar...

I should also promote that my LHBS (RebelBrewer) has a bulk site as well...

50 Pound Sack

It's all in bulk, but it's free shipping and great prices. I buy my 2-row through Rebel's site (used to be $0.84/lb but has gone up recently to $0.99/lb, which still ain't bad), but if you have either the storage capability for bulk amounts, or if you have friends to split it up with, you can get a wide variety of grains in 50lb-ish quantity or hops in 1lb quanity for cheap. But, surprisingly, the 2-row is cheaper through Rebel's site... go figure. Most of the hops are around $1 an ounce (some lower, and some a bit higher), and the grains average out to the ballpark of $1/lb (the highest specialty malt is $1.45/lb).

Guest System Admin

swenocha wrote:

I should also promote that my LHBS (RebelBrewer) has a bulk site as well...

50 Pound Sack

It's all in bulk, but it's free shipping and great prices. I buy my 2-row through Rebel's site (used to be $0.84/lb but has gone up recently to $0.99/lb, which still ain't bad), but if you have either the storage capability for bulk amounts, or if you have friends to split it up with, you can get a wide variety of grains in 50lb-ish quantity or hops in 1lb quanity for cheap. But, surprisingly, the 2-row is cheaper through Rebel's site... go figure. Most of the hops are around $1 an ounce (some lower, and some a bit higher), and the grains average out to the ballpark of $1/lb (the highest specialty malt is $1.45/lb).

Damn Swenocha you are such a tease!

Every hop I wanted was not available, prices were really good. No wonder sold out!

wow. Now that I have a TON of choices, I have to figure out how to use them. This is extremely helpful, thanks guys. I really appreciate this feed-back. I am very excited about all the potential that is out there for amazing brews. My father-in-law just basically told me that I have to brew enough to have a beer or two with him several days a week... every week. With these resources, that shouldn't be a problem.

I just found www.labelpeelers.com seems like they have a good suggestion.

Also for those of you going from oc to riverside, don't forget about carbon canyon, just take Lambert road all the way into Chino, hit the 71 or continue through Norco to the 15... Beats the hell outta the 91! (well for us north oc folks) from lake Forrest I'd probably take the 241 toll road through that coastal range that'll drop you onto the 91

I am really liking these websites. My only complaint is that there isn't a very good description of how to use some of the equipment that the sites sell. For example, how would one install a bottle filler to the LBK? Any ways other than that I am really happy with this feedback.

StumpyMcNubs wrote:

I am really liking these websites. My only complaint is that there isn't a very good description of how to use some of the equipment that the sites sell. For example, how would one install a bottle filler to the LBK? Any ways other than that I am really happy with this feedback.

You would have to use something like This but they are out of stock at the moment, I'm not sure but I think the slim lines they sell at walmart have a locking spigot on them and I think they might fit a bottling wand.

Outta_OC wrote:

I just found www.labelpeelers.com seems like they have a good suggestion.

Also for those of you going from oc to riverside, don't forget about carbon canyon, just take Lambert road all the way into Chino, hit the 71 or continue through Norco to the 15... Beats the hell outta the 91! (well for us north oc folks) from lake Forrest I'd probably take the 241 toll road through that coastal range that'll drop you onto the 91

the only time the 91 is good is after 11 pm and before 4 am any other time it is crap

Thanks. That does help a bit, but I meant that as an example. I could post a lot of them on here, but my point is that certain products or websites expect people to just know what the product is and how to use it/install it.
I think that it would be nice for some experienced brewers to put together a how-to guide on some of the more complicated/unusual equipment. This way new brewers would be able to make informed decisions on what type of accessories to buy, what they don't need, and what to steer clear of.

StumpyMcNubs wrote:

Thanks. That does help a bit, but I meant that as an example. I could post a lot of them on here, but my point is that certain products or websites expect people to just know what the product is and how to use it/install it.
I think that it would be nice for some experienced brewers to put together a how-to guide on some of the more complicated/unusual equipment. This way new brewers would be able to make informed decisions on what type of accessories to buy, what they don't need, and what to steer clear of.

Look at some of the product reviews and how too's on this website. Homebrewtalk.com

There are also lots of videos on youtube.

StumpyMcNubs wrote:

Care to share any particular items of interest you need advice on? I'm pretty sure someone here has some good information already.

Yup... I think that every setup has been details ad nauseum on here. If you have a particular item of interest, a search will show bottling options, uses of slimlines, full brew day pictorials, etc...

Alright, that makes sense guys. The biggest question about a product I guess would be how to install the spigots a person can get for their boiling pots. Would I need to drill a hole in the side of the pot? If so that's no problem, i do that kind of thing a lot anyway, I just don't want to irreversibly damage equipment, because that is just a waist of money. I know how to rig up a system with tubes and whatnot to pour the wort from the pot directly to the LBK with very little aeration, so I am definitely interested in doing that.
Meow, you guys talk about using the slimline to cold crash the beer, but doesn't that offer up a chance to aerate it? I know it shouldn't if you do it right, but I don't know if I am willing to take the chance. Meow wouldn't it be easier to cold crash the LBK if you have room?

You just have to be careful while you do it. and racking it to another fermenter gets it off the Trub so you can batch prime and you get clearer beer.
meow.jpg