Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cleveland013

And it's in the keg!!!!

Yay! Offically made my first batch of beer this morning!

Standard West Coast Pale Ale.

Things went pretty smoothly I believe. The printed directions from MB were good, but I found the demo videos on the MB site very helpful to have a visual as well.

Following advice from others I've tilted the LBK back a bit to allow trub to settle to the back.

Found a nice quiet little cubby near my attic steps to place my LBK.

Temp should be somewhat consistant and it's sitting in a wide plastic lid, just in case of leaks. :)

I had hoped my brew-o-meter and hydrometer from MB would have arrived in time for this first batch, but they'll be in use for my second brew.

Already itching to brew a second batch, may have to get that second LBK ;)

I'll keep you guys posted on how it going.

Thanks for the MASSIVE support you all give on this forum!

Sound like good news Cleveland!

Curious, what ambient temp is the space near attic steps?

If its high 60's or higher, your keg temp will increase in a day or 2 due to fermentation (usually raises it a few to 5 degrees especially if its in a confined space with no ventilation, it'll act like a blanket. You may want to put a wet tshirt over the keg to keep it from climbing, just re wet it daily if it dries. You can remove it all together in a week.

If the ambient temp is low 60's you will be good.

@ mnstarzz13 - I ordered, but still haven't gotten the MB stick on thermometer yet.
Only other thermometer I have is a probe style one for checking turkey and roasts with, but it does measure down to like 40 degrees or something.

I left it on and stuck the probe near the keg in the cubby. After about 10 minutes I'm getting a consistant temp reading of 68 degrees.

I'll keep an eye on it as you said the fermentation process causes it to heat up some.

Since I don't have the hydrometer yet I'm going a full 3 weeks fermenting in the LBK :)

Sounds good! :cheers:

If it were my beer, Id toos on the cold wet t, it'll shoot up quick when fermentation takes off and after a batch or 22 of fusel alcohol off flavors, mid to low 60's I always reach for ;)

But do what works for you! just want to give ya a nugget to chew on :)

I've been placing the LBK in a cooler and regulating temps with frozen water bottles, works well for me :)

I'M MAKING BEER GENTLEMEN! :) Just checked in on the LBK at about 3.5 hours in. Not really any krausen forming as of yet, but I have trub forming on the bottom!

Now the long wait beings. :)

Monkeyman wrote:

I've been placing the LBK in a cooler and regulating temps with frozen water bottles, works well for me :)

I will be doing this next time around. Would it hurt to do this mid fermenting? Mine has been fermenting for about 6 days now and ambient temperature is probably 70 degrees.

sheepdog22 wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

I will be doing this next time around. Would it hurt to do this mid fermenting? Mine has been fermenting for about 6 days now and ambient temperature is probably 70 degrees.

Won't hurt, just minimize the jostling of the LBK if you move it.

Monkeyman wrote:

sheepdog22 wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

right but after 7days, most of the fermentation has completed and unless its creeping to mid 70's theres not much of a benefit to lower it at that point. many brewers, me included, will control the temp for first 7 days at mid 60's and then let it come to room temp, around 68-72 is fine.

...assuming we are talking about ale yeast ofcourse, specifically the fromunda yeast (from under MRB HME lids)

mnstarzz13 wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

sheepdog22 wrote:

Monkeyman wrote:

right but after 7days, most of the fermentation has completed and unless its creeping to mid 70's theres not much of a benefit to lower it at that point. many brewers, me included, will control the temp for first 7 days at mid 60's and then let it come to room temp, around 68-72 is fine.

...assuming we are talking about ale yeast ofcourse, specifically the fromunda yeast (from under MRB HME lids)

I maintain at mid-sixties for 18 days and then bring up to 70 or so the last three days. Works for me so I'll keep going that route. But as stated, typically the primary fermentation will be complete in a week or so. You'll find each of us have their own means/ methods and you'll need to find what works best for you.

4ish days in and things seem to be slowing down. Liquid in LBK is still pretty cloudy. Hardly had any krausen at all during the past few days. Got a little bit a day in and now it's dissapating.

Saw some trub the first day in as well, then realized the LBK wasn't probably titled back quite enough, tilted it a bit more and now, based on the way it's sitting in the cubby can't really see if there is any addition trub or not.

I really don't want to areate the beer by sloshing the LBK around to check either.

Lots of bubbles a day or so in, now just a few small streams.

BUT I'm not going to jump the gun like may newbies do. I'm giving my beer the full 3 weeks to ferment (based on solid Borg advice).

I think the spot I picked out does vary in temps somewhat, warmer during the day, colder at night, so next brew I think I'm going to follow advice of others and brew in a larger cooler so I can regulate temps with frozen water bottles.

Just keeping everyone updated..thanks guys! :)

jeff7181 wrote:

I'm considering a 3rd and possibly 4th keg. B)

If you have the money just jump into 5 gallon batches. I had fun with MB but it felt good seeing that big carboy filled with wort. I over did it I think and spent more than I needed to buying a wort chiller and the whole nine yards but it was my Christmas present to myself so I said what the hell.

Just an idea if you are going to buy that many LBK's you could easily get you a starter 5 gallon kit.