Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stealthyelf

priming sugar or table sugar

just another question to ask before I start bottling in the near future which is better priming sugar or table sugar like i mention in one of my recent post i have a lot of priming sugar that a friend of mine gave me so i kinda need opinions on which is better

Happy Brewing :banana:

Both work fine. If you are bottle priming, do half with corn sugar and half with cane. Then decide for yourself which one you prefer.

They'll both work; it just comes down to personal preference. I've always used honey, because that's what I decided to start with, and I'm comfortable with it.

Other people have used Booster, dry malt extract, and various other sugars to prime with.

The issue is not which is "better", but which you prefer.

ok so basically try it out and see what i like better sounds like a plan just have to make sure i measure it right so i dont have any bottle bombs

Guest System Admin

Just make sure to find out what type of "priming" sugar you have and adjust the amount.

Some priming sugar is corn other is fine ground table (cane) sugar. The amount you add depends on the type.

Guest System Admin

pretty much corn sugar, use your the CS setting on the priming calculator

just another question i have with looking at the directions on the MRB instructions on bottling they say 2 1/2 tsp per 1L PET bottle does that go for both table sugar and corn sugar or do i have to use that calc

MB has a nice little Tool for measuring priming sugar, I have 2 of them, works good and cheap. Maybe you could turn off the bold on your post, we hear you, just say'n :) . You're doing good, keep the questions coming.

I've just used table sugar, did try honey once but I think it's to hard to do if you're bottle priming, FD use's honey but he batch primes and has good results. I have a lot of priming sugar that has come with some of the kits I have bought, and also some carb drops, I just stay with the table sugar because it has been working for me. No bombs after over 40 batches and good carb. Knock on wood.

Buckeye Brewer wrote:

I am curious.. are there any difference or benefits to using brown sugar??

As a priming sugar, there isn't any real benefit since it won't affect the finished product. Corn and table sugar are cheap and predictable. Therefore, it's easier to avoid under-carbonation or bottle bombs.

The qualities found in different sugars are, in my opinion, best discovered in the brew pot and fermenter.

so basically you are saying stick with the 2 1/2 tsp for 1L bottles which I have and going less with the 12oz bottle right

I have found the recommended amounts of sugar in the Mr. Beer instructions to be a little on the high side. I use 1/2 tsp per 12 oz bottle, which is the recommended amount on Screwy Brewer's bottle priming calculator, which you can check out on his web site. As far a Dextrose (corn sugar) vs. table sugar, I have been using Dextrose lately for bottle priming because it is finer and dissolves quicker than table sugar.

Site is so big, this has probably been asked before and I could probably find it somewhere if I looked hard enough ... but it's along the lines of the thread and it's my first post so ...

What is the booster made of? isn't it all dextrose? and thence could be used for priming?

Billy Mojo wrote:

Site is so big, this has probably been asked before and I could probably find it somewhere if I looked hard enough ... but it's along the lines of the thread and it's my first post so ...

What is the booster made of? isn't it all dextrose? and thence could be used for priming?

Read this.

Billy Mojo wrote:

From Mr Beer:

Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids, and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that is designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.