Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
raymented

another newbie

Hi, new here. After beind teased and intreagued by several good friends and my brother who are brewers, I decided to take the plunge and picked up the Mr. Beer kit to try my hand. Thanks for all the great info and tips!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center raymented. You will be assimilataed. Resistance is quite futile: we have beer.

Brewed two batches of pale ale on 7 jan that we bottled yesterday and if we did everything properly ready to enjoy on Superbowl Sunday!

Last weekend, on 15 jan brewed a batch of St Patricks Irish Stout! Plan to bottle the Stout next weeked and brew batch of Ramblin Red and a batch of High Country Canadian Draft.

I am looking forward to the new spigot and wand being available!

Guest System Admin

Welcome aboard, this place knows what they're talking about!

So much to learn, so litte time, where to begin. :blink: :S :(;)

I just bottled my 5th batch over the past weekend, Rose's Ramblin Red, that fermented from 5 Feb - 4 Mar. Presently i have been enjoying the West Coast Pale Ale, and also have St Patrick's Irish Stout bottled on 5 Feb now in the refridgerator, and Englishman's Nut Brown Ale and High Country Canadian Draft Carbonating since 25 Feb. This past Sunday after bottling the RRR, I also put 2 gal of the Seasonal Pilsner and Albert's Atomic Altbier in the LBK to begin Fermenting (question on this later).

In deciding what to brew Sunday, I considered the Chauffer Red Ale that came with 2 1/2 oz pkts of Tettnnanger Pellet Hops. Both are in my freezer with the other packets of hops I have one of the Tettnanger pkts is air tight like the rest I have and the sterling pkt I opened Sunday for the Alberts AA! But the other Tattnanger is not air tight, but puffy. Is this puffed out bag of Tattnanger hops okay, safe to use?

Now as to the Seasonal Pilsner and Albert's Atomic Altbier, these two are creating a huge mess in the bottom of the LBK, no overflow, thank goodness, but very active right away, it looked like a freaking undertow current inside the keg for a while. So, now there is this huge pile of stuff blocking the entrance to drain spout. Is it okay to gently shake the LBK to try to move it, or should i try to drain the beer off into an empty LBK to finish fermenting and if so, is there an optimal time to do the drain?

I have other questions such as using DME in lieu of suger to prime and what type of DME and how much.

I also wonder if the leftover stuff in the LBK after bottling has any nutritional or value in cooking. I have often cooked with beer and don't see what the harm would be, but thought it best to ask. I did drain the junk from the bottom of the LBK after bottling the RRR into a glass and put it into my refrigerator and it separated out very nicely leaving a nice clear red flat beer on the top and the light brown/tan junk on the bottom.

Thanks so much for letting me play and listening to my story and helping me with my lessons! I am really enjoying learning about this fascinating hobby and look forward to sharing the fruits of my labor with friends and family.

I could ramble on about how much i liked chemistry in high school and college especially the waste water engineering class and differential equations problems on rates of growth and decay of organisms and such, but that would only confirm my nerdness B) . I guess, i am just looking for someone to share the excitement of learning with. I believe my son-in-law will be a good one, as my daughter and son-in-law are both beer lovers, but they got real busy this past month opening a business in Jackson, MS, which i am very happy for them, even spent half a day this past weekend helping to paint several rooms inside the store. I am hoping that after the business kicks off we can do some brewing, we did my 1st batch together, actually did two batches of the Western Pale Ale which we shared. I even bought him a Premium LBK kit and some other items to help with the process.

Getting late, thanks again in advance for your help.

Welcome to the borg and it looks like you have been busy, I'll let some of the more seasoned brewers answer your questions and I to shall learn form them.