Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

First time Mr Beer brew. (another Christmas gift)

Guest System Admin

I got a Mr Beer for Christmas after expressing the want to use the Ma-in-laws brew kit. We have previously brewed a few with her traditional setup. I do have to say wow that was a lot of work and a great deal more pricey.So she got me the kit for Christmas!

It came with the West Coast Pale Ale and decided to do the Ginger's Castaway Ale recipe. I now have it in a closet brewing away. Now I just have to wait and see how it comes out.

If it taste as good as the wort smelled I will be happy. Also waiting on the thermometer to come in. What hydrometer that is on the cheaper side would you suggest?

Welcome!
You should be able to find a hydrometer for eight to ten dollars. I've never noticed a brand name. Look in the yellow pages for brewing supplies.

Welcome to the obsession Braxis! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

+1 to Oly and Packerduf (as usual). If you don't have an LHBS close by, you can always get one online. If MB doesn't get more in stock soon, Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer are always good spots for equipment.

Cheers!

:chug:

Guest System Admin

Thanks for the info and the welcome! I am now searching for my next brew will start it after I bottle the first. Hmmmm so many tasty looking choices!
:woohoo:

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Braxis. You will be assimlated. Resistance is quite Futile: We have beer.

You'll find that Hydrometers are a suicidal bunch when left alone. It's normall suggested that you purchase 2. Because one will jump off a counter and kill it's self just to spite you.

yankeedag wrote:

You'll find that Hydrometers are a suicidal bunch when left alone. It's normall suggested that you purchase 2. Because one will jump off a counter and kill it's self just to spite you.

I can vouch for this. :(

welcome to the borg Braxis :cheers:

another suggestion for ya, get a notebook and USE it every time you brew. you will eventually make better beer because of it.

Guest System Admin

I am bad with note books I might try an online beer journal.

yankeedag wrote:

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Braxis. You will be assimlated. Resistance is quite Futile: We have beer.

Didn't even get to use my first one before it jumped and landed on the hardwood floor.

Braxis wrote:

I am bad with note books I might try an online beer journal.

either way works just as well. you will be glad that you did that :):) :cheers:

So far so good! I have the journal started and keeping an eye on it. It is still real cloudy and starting to flavor up. Though with the ginger how "clear" will it get?

Welcome aboard! I received my first Mr Beer kit as a gift for Christmas last year, got instantly hooked and just last week brewed my first all gain batch. The Borg is wise and extremely helpful, so don't hesitate to ask questions!

Above all else, have fun :chug:

I just bottled my first Mr Beer! :cheer: And now more waiting! :silly:

It taste and smelles awesome now can't wait to taste it when it is all fizzy.

Braxis wrote:

I just bottled my first Mr Beer! :cheer: And now more waiting! :silly:

It taste and smelles awesome now can't wait to taste it when it is all fizzy.

Congrats! You made beer! Now just patience. 2 weeks to carb (room temp) and another 2 weeks to condition (also room temp). Then several days in the fridge, which will help clear it up a bit more.

Keep reading! Keep posting!! Keep brewing!!!

:charlie:

Tin Man

Not sure if anyone else touched on this but the only throw the ones you plan on drinking in a day or two in the fridge. The longer your bottles sit at room temperature, the longer they will continue to condition. Once they hit the temps of the fridge, the yeast go dormant and the beer will no longer condition.

You'd be surprised how much of a taste difference there is from a week after conditioning to a month-month and a half of conditioning. I'd recommend throwing in only a few bottles at a time each week to see how the beer changes and take notes on the perfect conditioning time for when you plan on brewing it again :cheers:

Slick2887 wrote:

Not sure if anyone else touched on this but the only throw the ones you plan on drinking in a day or two in the fridge. The longer your bottles sit at room temperature, the longer they will continue to condition. Once they hit the temps of the fridge, the yeast go dormant and the beer will no longer condition.

You'd be surprised how much of a taste difference there is from a week after conditioning to a month-month and a half of conditioning. I'd recommend throwing in only a few bottles at a time each week to see how the beer changes and take notes on the perfect conditioning time for when you plan on brewing it again :cheers:

I'm going to disagree with the idea of only giving beers a couple of days in the fridge. I used to do that, following the same Slick is using--the yeast stop working when the temperature drops, so there's no real benefit.

I changed my mind when I went out of town for a week with some beers in the fridge. They definitely improved during that time.

I'm not sure of the specifics of why changes occur while it's refrigerated, but my guess is that there are physical/chemical changes that occur in the absence of yeast activity (additional flocculation, tastes blending, etc). Whatever the reason, I now try to ensure that all my beers spend at least a week in the fridge.

Did the squeeze test on the bottle and it is solid. So in the loosest sense I have beer. Still exciting!