Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
carlg

west coast pale ale

well started my first attempt and using west coast pale ale. any tips or suggestions. it is already in the lbk.

Tips, carlg? Do what "The Hat" says (Fedora Dave)! Seriously though, welcome to Mr Beer. Assuming you followed the recipe you should be fine. Probably the most frequent advice I've given here is: 1) Patience; and 2) Get another LBK (little brown keg) with your next order so you can brew more batches at the same time.

Keep reading! Keep posting! Keep Brewing!

:charlie:

Tin Man

Hello and welcome to the borg, you came to the right place to learn how to make great beer. Good Luck on your first brew, ask questions, and have fun Brewing.

Welcome to the obsession! My advice is to read the Simple Guidelines thread pinned to the top of the New Brewers section. After you read it, read it again. I know I keep going back to it from time to time. Lots of great info in there.

Cheers!

:chug:

yes I already ordered another keg with whispering wheat and would like to add honey to it. I read that I can add it in place of some of the booster. :cheer:

Welcome to the Borg!

When using one can of HME and one bag of booster, use a cup of booster and toss the rest.

welcome to the borg carlg :cheers:

the deluxe version of this recipe is my personal favorite mr beer refill. i let mine ferment 3 weeks and bottle and let sit 6 more, too me it tastes better that way.

also i did not see too much about a note book. get one. USE IT OFTEN while brewing. you will notice your beers will be much better because of it. everyone of the expericened brewers on this borg does and they swear by it too so do it and be rewarded....eventually.

also get: hydrometer(if possible more than one), bottling wand and locking spigot. :)

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!

Hi Carlg
I too mixed up my very first batch. I started with the western pale ale as well. Mine has been in the lbk since saturday at noon!!! Shes in a nice dark closet holding about 69 degrees.

What's the best sugar to use for the priming? I've seen such mixed information. I was going to let it ferment for 7 days. Reading above it sounds like I should let her go a little longer?

Bubi

Bubi wrote:

Hi Carlg
I too mixed up my very first batch. I started with the western pale ale as well. Mine has been in the lbk since saturday at noon!!! Shes in a nice dark closet holding about 69 degrees.

What's the best sugar to use for the priming? I've seen such mixed information. I was going to let it ferment for 7 days. Reading above it sounds like I should let her go a little longer?

Bubi

Either cane sugar (table sugar) or corn sugar (dextrose) are fine for priming, as well as honey and DME. Go with the easy one first (corn or cane) and if you like it, keep using it. If not, try a different one to see if you can tell a difference. As for the time, I'd let it ferment for 2-3 weeks.

Welcome Carlg i myself is new to brewing and it seems to me just from what ive been reading my west coast pale ale sat for two weeks in fermenter and shouldve sat longer. there is some good advice on here good luck and welcome! I believe paitence is the key word!

I got a Mr Beer kit for Christmas, it came with a standard west coast pale ale.
Just finished bottling it after 9 days in the LBK ( after discovering & reading this forum, perhaps a little longer would have been better, but the instructions that came with the kit said that when it was clear & tasted like flat beer it was ready to bottle.)

IMAG0224.jpg

For my next batch I ordered Deluxe WWW refill, a pouch of booster & a can of raspberries.
Should be here tomorrow, can't wait! :chug:

My West Coast Pale Ale is in the bottles. I kept it in the keg for 14 days, and will keep it in the bottles for 14 days. Then it will go in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 days. (honestly, I just can't wait any longer!)

Without a doubt I will be getting one more keg.

Brian

I also got a Mr. Beer for Xmas with the West Coast Pale Ale. It has been in the LBK for a week now. Took a taste of it tonight as seem really bitter not sweet at all. There was a little flavor but not much. Took the LBK in to the light and this is what I saw
0425A851.jpg

Seemed pretty clear. The temp in the closet has been around 71. It jumped to 73 today cause it was so feakin hot here in San Diego. So do I let it sit in the LBK for another week?

I tried my blond ale today which has been in my LBK about 9 days and it tasted amazing (minus being flat) it is killing me to not drink it.

SoCalBri wrote:

Seemed pretty clear. The temp in the closet has been around 71. It jumped to 73 today cause it was so feakin hot here in San Diego. So do I let it sit in the LBK for another week?

welcome to the borg SoCalBri :cheers:

wow, its hot in San Diego? wish it was hot in riverside. it been really cold here

Brian1179 wrote:

SoCalBri wrote:

wow, its hot in San Diego? wish it was hot in riverside. it been really cold here

Yeah it got up to 87 yesterday....so far today we are at 82. I heard San Diego County broke a few heat records yesterday. I miss winter....I need to write Mother Nature an email.

BTW.....any thoughts on my beer? You think it might be to hot in my closet?

SoCalBri wrote:

Brian1179 wrote:

SoCalBri wrote:

Yeah it got up to 87 yesterday....so far today we are at 82. I heard San Diego County broke a few heat records yesterday. I miss winter....I need to write Mother Nature an email.

BTW.....any thoughts on my beer? You think it might be to hot in my closet?

Put the LBK in a cooler with a couple of frozen water bottles.

This saturday will make 14 days for mine in the LBK. I'm in no hurry, I'll probably let it in for another 7 before bottling.

Question 1, is it ok to open the LBK and look in? or should it be kept closed during the time. She is in a nice consistent 68-69 degree closet.

Question 2, if it's the first batch and it's a style of beer I'm not familiar with how do I know if I screwed it up or maybe I just don't like that style of beer!!!!!! ?????? !!!!! I'm not sure I like the Pale Ales. I'm probably more of an amber lager style. Love New Belgium Brewings Fat Tire. It's one of my favorites. Actually just looked they call it an Amber Ale.....hmm.

Bubi wrote:

This saturday will make 14 days for mine in the LBK. I'm in no hurry, I'll probably let it in for another 7 before bottling.

Question 1, is it ok to open the LBK and look in? or should it be kept closed during the time. She is in a nice consistent 68-69 degree closet.

you should only open if you need to add something. In this case i would say no do not open.

Question 2, if it's the first batch and it's a style of beer I'm not familiar with how do I know if I screwed it up or maybe I just don't like that style of beer!!!!!! ?????? !!!!! I'm not sure I like the Pale Ales. I'm probably more of an amber lager style. Love New Belgium Brewings Fat Tire. It's one of my favorites. Actually just looked they call it an Amber Ale.....hmm.

you wont know how it tastes until its time to bottle, take a shot glass and pour, out of the spigot, taste it if it tastes like flat beer bottle that sucker, if there is sweetness to it let it sit for a couple more days and taste again, if its flat(not sweet) bottle let it sit in bottles, at room temp, for minimum of 4 weeks, then start to put a bottle or two in fridge at least 2 days prior to drinks then drink. :)

oh and welcome to the borg :cheers:

Thanks Brian!
But my question 2 was more to after it's all bottled.......how do I know if I screwed it up totally or if it's just not my taste! That was more of a "joke" question than anything. But will taste it for "flatness" before bottling as well! Getting excited about it!

First, I think I missed yet another couple of “Welcomes” so… “Welcome to the obsession, Bubi, planefxr, and SoCalBri!” Great Hobby, huh?!?!?

Bubi, in terms of your questions. For Q1: yes it’s OK to look in, but it’s better not to unless there is a reason to (racking to secondary, adding stuff after primary fermentation is done, etc.). You increase the likelihood of something bad getting in and screwing up your brew. For Q2: That’s actually a better question than you’d think… I’m not a pale ale guy at all, but I have brewed the WCPA a couple times (my wife likes it). When finished it's kind of like, "Yep, this tastes just like that stuff that everyone seems to love, except me. I must have done it right."

One way to evaluate the “success” of you brew would be to go to a LHBS or “Liquor Barn” type store if you have one nearby and get a few sample bottles of craft pale ales (assuming they sell bottles individually). After yours has been in the bottle for 4 weeks or so, put a couple in the fridge along with your craft brew samples. Wait a couple days and then sample several side by side. That way you’ll be able to see two things: 1) Does mine seem to be an approximate version of what a pale ale is supposed to be?; and 2) Do I even like pale ales?

By the way, +1 on “I’m in no hurry.” Patience will make good beer into a great beer!!

Tin Man

Bubi wrote:

Thanks Brian!
But my question 2 was more to after it's all bottled.......how do I know if I screwed it up totally or if it's just not my taste! That was more of a "joke" question than anything. But will taste it for "flatness" before bottling as well! Getting excited about it!

i will defalt to what FedoraDave, has said and will say again, if you like it, then you did it right. that will be the only measure, you truely need. thought it would be nice to get a rave review from a beer judge, it is not neccessay.

After 3 weeks in the LBK I bottled mine yesterday! I must say the shot glass I drew and tasted was not bad at all. It had a nice color. But it did seem a little cloudy. But it tasted good.

Now about 3 weeks in the bottles and a few days in the fridge and I'll give one a try!

Pros and cons glass bottled vs the pet bottles?

Bubi

Personal preference.

I prefer the solid feel and heft of a glass bottle. But that means I have to have a capper and can't reuse caps.

Some like the plastic as they can gauge carbonation and reuse the caps.

I'm sure others have their own reasons. But it is still your preference that matters.

Hello,
I too just brewed my first Mr Beer standard recipe, West Coast Pale w/booster, and it has been in the lbk for a week. My og was 1.036 and as of yesterday my fg was 1.018, for an abv of 2.3%

I saved the sample and will remeasure it today. If the fg stays the same, should I bottle it or give it another week? I tasted part of the sample and it basically tasted like flat beer with no off flavors that I could tell. However the abv seems low, so should I just give it another week and remeasure or go ahead and bottle?

Thanks and great forum. Lots of good info here.

Forgot to mention, ferment temp has been a consistent 70F the whole time.

K9ster wrote:

Hello,
I too just brewed my first Mr Beer standard recipe, West Coast Pale w/booster, and it has been in the lbk for a week. My og was 1.036 and as of yesterday my fg was 1.018, for an abv of 2.3%

I saved the sample and will remeasure it today. If the fg stays the same, should I bottle it or give it another week? I tasted part of the sample and it basically tasted like flat beer with no off flavors that I could tell. However the abv seems low, so should I just give it another week and remeasure or go ahead and bottle?

I'd give it another week to ferment a bit more. By my quick QBrew calculations, I think your FG should be around 1.010. Another week should get you there. :cheers:

K9ster wrote:

Hello,

id let it go two weeks minimum, then bottle then wait 4 weeks then try one.

oh, welcome to the borg :cheers:

Brian1179 wrote:

id let it go two weeks minimum, then bottle then wait 4 weeks then try one.

oh, welcome to the borg :cheers:

+1 Brian's timing and +1 on "Welcome to the borg."

Tin Man

So when you guys say it should be clear before bottling...how clear is clear? Mine tasted like flat beer, very good flat beer, but flat. I would not say it could be considered clear though. It was in the LBK for 3 weeks. Here is a picture of what it looked like before I bottled it. photo-20120124.jpg

Just moving the LBK shortly before bottling can stir up some of the yeast from the bottom but that will settle after bottled for a bit.
You could try putting the keg in the fridge for 24-36 hours before bottling. That helps some.
There are fining agents for clearing beer such as Irish Moss and Isinglass but they are mainly used with all grain recipes and racking to a secondary fermenter for a period of time.
Personally, a cloudy beer doesn't bother me a bit.

Thought maybe it was from moving. Like I said it tasted very good. Can't wait to
Try it!

Hello Everyone,

So two weeks ago I bottled my first batch, WCPA after it sat in the LBK for two weeks at 70F. The beer was really clear and had a nice, flat flavor. I used table sugar to prime, and it has been carbonating for two weeks at 68-70F.

I have read in some posts that the beer should sit for an additional 2 weeks at around 50F for conditioning. My question is, will 60F work for conditioning? In my basement I have a nice spot that stays a constant 60F. Or should I place the bottles in a wine fridge that is set to 50F?
My only problem with the wine fridge is I would have to lay the bottles on their side.

Suggestions?

Thank you

I've not heard about conditioning at that temp. Only that longer is better. Mine is going to get cracked and tried this evening!!!!!

K9ster wrote:

Hello Everyone,

So two weeks ago I bottled my first batch, WCPA after it sat in the LBK for two weeks at 70F. The beer was really clear and had a nice, flat flavor. I used table sugar to prime, and it has been carbonating for two weeks at 68-70F.

I have read in some posts that the beer should sit for an additional 2 weeks at around 50F for conditioning. My question is, will 60F work for conditioning? In my basement I have a nice spot that stays a constant 60F. Or should I place the bottles in a wine fridge that is set to 50F?
My only problem with the wine fridge is I would have to lay the bottles on their side.

Suggestions?

Thank you

You don't want to condition them in their sides. One of the things that happens during conditioning is that the yeast and other solids drop out of suspension and settle to the bottom. If you have them on their sides, the yeast will style to the side instead of the bottom.

bpgreen wrote:

K9ster wrote:

Hello Everyone,

You don't want to condition them in their sides. One of the things that happens during conditioning is that the yeast and other solids drop out of suspension and settle to the bottom. If you have them on their sides, the yeast will style to the side instead of the bottom.

+1
Which includes periodic quality control with the help as well...I was consolidating some beers today in several of my conditioning bins and found that SWMBO had in the name of space utilization, placed some bottles on their side...(sigh).

Bubi wrote:

So when you guys say it should be clear before bottling...how clear is clear? Mine tasted like flat beer, very good flat beer, but flat. I would not say it could be considered clear though. It was in the LBK for 3 weeks. Here is a picture of what it looked like before I bottled it. photo-20120124.jpg

Bubi - mine looks the same. It has only been in the LBK for one week, so I know I need to keep it in for at least one more (most likely 2). It tasted good, but I've gotten the gist about patience from everyone here!

On a side note, my foam-period was only for the first two days, then it disappeared... :S

Wow! Pleasantly surprised. I finally broke into one tonight. It was pretty good.

I had a friend over for the inaugural drink. Both agreed pretty good. Do you guys tip your bottles before opening? The thing I noticed was the first two glasses were very clear. The taste was a bit carbonated. However the last glass from the bottled got into the "sludge". It wasn't clear but it tasted much better. It didn't have the carbonated taste. I thought maybe just tipping the bottle before opening would mix it a bit???

Bubi

Bubi wrote:

Wow! Pleasantly surprised. I finally broke into one tonight. It was pretty good.

I had a friend over for the inaugural drink. Both agreed pretty good. Do you guys tip your bottles before opening? The thing I noticed was the first two glasses were very clear. The taste was a bit carbonated. However the last glass from the bottled got into the "sludge". It wasn't clear but it tasted much better. It didn't have the carbonated taste. I thought maybe just tipping the bottle before opening would mix it a bit???

Bubi

Well, too each his own. But I try not to tip them so I get as clear of beer as I can into the glass. Then drink the sediment at the end.
Congrats on the success! :cheer:

Concerning whether to open the top to look in, the advice I've seen is "don't". What I have found is that the keg has smooth areas where I can shine a small flashlight over the top of the wort and look in from the other side, to see what's happening. Also, I can hold the flashlight on the side of the keg, and look at the clarity of the pale ales from the other side. After more than a week it gets impressively clear, but I still give it 3 weeks in the keg.

Just bottled my first batch of WCPA this morning. It fermented for just over two weeks. It was very clear and tasted like flat beer. I plan on letting it condition for two weeks and then I will test it out. :woohoo:

Tipped one last night and tried it. Not good! Won't try that again!

I think my WCPA came out the way it was supposed to. Think it's not my taste of beer. With that said. I won't have any trouble finishing it!!

I'll let the rest age a bit more and see how it does. They all say longer is better!

Going to do Vienna lager this week.

Bubi

@Bubi

I Agree. I thought it was an awful beer, especially one to include for a first time beer. Ive been letting it age for a while though as I too read that it gets better with age. Not so good for first timers though who have little patience!

I can't wait to get through what I have to get into the porters and stouts!

If u followed directions and you leave it for the full 2-3 weeks it will turn out fine, I actually really enjoyed my first WcpaStarted.

Followed them exactly! fermented 3 weeks at 64 degrees F, sanitized, bottled and carbed and conditioned for 4 weeks at 64 degrees F then left 1 in the fridge for 3 days. Perfect first pour, clarity, and aroma. Just don't care for the pale ales I guess.

Just had one of my brother's WCPA, brewed exactly per instructions with the included booster. It's not yet 3 weeks in the bottle but it had no off flavors. Tasted pretty much like a bigger Coors or Bud. I love pale ales but I don't call this a pale ale.
For what it was, it was ok, but it's not my kind of beer. I only have a tweaked WCPA because I had some that came in kits and hopefully, I've done enough to them to add body and flavor.
But, I can see why this recipe is included in most of the kits. A great number of folks like it and I'm just not one of them.

I know what ya mean Brewish. I think the WCPA is as basic as you can get. Does it make beer? Yes of course. I too followed the instructions to the letter. It produced good results. I was impressed. However, it's not a style of beer that I would really care for, unless it were to be doctored up a little bit more with at least another can of HME/UME and some hops. I did the 2-2-1 method before opening my first bottle. The first bottle was ok. Just ok. One week later, which would have been 2-2-2, the difference was obvious. Much better head and flavor. Ever since then, the bottles coming from that batch have been very good....still not my ideal brew, but a successful brew. In the future, if I am ever going to use any of the basic extracts again (including WCPA), there's going to be a lot more involved than just one can of HME. Cheers!

Pale ales are also not my favorite (preferring darker & fuller body), but after 3 weeks in the LBK and now 5 weeks carbing and conditioning and 2 days in the fridge, my initial WCPA is getting better each week. Based on what I have found on sale at BB&B, I am now workng through 4 cans of HCCD: first the basic refill, then 3 variations with added UME and other ingredients. Now also having 3 more refills of WCPA, I am considering then going through the same 3 variations, with WCPA rather than HCCD to see the contrast. Is there any reason why recipes based on HCCD would not also work with WCPA? Thanks always for the sharing of knowledge & experiences!

I brewed my WCPA at the end of Dec. I let it ferment for 19 days at about 64 -68 deg, bottled and left it for 4 weeks to carb/condition. I had a tasting party last Friday and everyone loved it! I drink a lot of different syles of beer and this was very good! Way better than I expected! I think it will be a great beer for those hot summer days. Perfectly balanced for a lighter tasting beer. I will definitley be doing this one regularly in the pipeline. The next one will be the deluxe kit though so I can see the difference.

I hear what you guys are all saying about this not being your preferred beer. However, we have all most likely drank our fair share of crap beer in the past (I can name a ton of them), but if this WCPA tastes like crap, at least it will be my crap. And I will proudly say, "I made this crap!" :laugh:

Seriously, I'm looking forward to trying my batch. Just keeping it light. :silly:

I had my second one last night. Tried the first on Super Bowl Sunday at 2 weeks carb. and 2 days in the fridge. Could hardly get thru the entire litre. This one was 4 weeks carb. and 4 days in the fridge and was much better. Had a great head but no lacing to speak of. The cider undertone was still there, but mostly after warming up a bit. Probably will let it go another 2-3 weeks before trying another.

Can see a lot of potential for a future batch. All extract, steeping some crystal or carapils, and a full hop schedule.

Speaking for myself, I'm not calling WCPA any names. I enjoyed the first one just one week out of the LBK, and they have gotten better from there. Since my real preference is for richer ales, I didn't mind at all finding some more cans at a good price, as a base for trying additions to it. If anyone has any thoughts on how adaptable other favorite recipes will be to using WCPA as a base, I'd like to hear them. Thanks!