Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

And so it begins.

Like many I see on here I too got a Mr. Beer kit as a Christmas present. I had a chance today for my first attempt at homebrewing. I used the standard West Coast Pale Ale recipe that came with the kit. I have been reading several of the forums on the Mr. Beer website as a visitor and decided since I have started brewing I should become a member of this outstanding community. I see that there is so much to learn but this seems to be the place to go for any questions.

I was impressed with how easy it was and how little clean up was involved. Had I known how easy this was I would have started this years ago. I'm already planning on getting at least 1 more LBK and maybe one of the seasonal refills.

Welcome to the obsession Violator! Sounds like you are off to a good start.

The seasonals are a must have IMO (as well as 2-3 LBKs...). If you haven't already, check out the Simple Guidelines thread at the top of the New Brewers section. Lots of great info in there.

Keep brewing, posting and asking questions when you need to.

Cheers!

:chug:

Hello and welcome to the forum. Another keg would be really good and the seasonals are a must do, They sometimes sell out quick, most on here will buy more then one when they are available. Good Luck and Happy Brewing.

I feel so helpless just sitting here, waiting, and reading all the great posts on here. I have learned an ton, the most important being patience. It seemed so effortless to brew up my first batch I can't wait to do it again. I did get a notebook and an oversized calandar that I have hanging next to my LBK and plan on keeping notes on it's progress. I live in central Wisconsin were it's about 10 degrees out right now so it's nice to something to do indoors instead of just drinking beer. Gotta have a hobby they say.

Ha got you beat here in Western NY, mine says 3 deg :( Keeping a log and notes is a very good idea, Read up as much as you can while you are waiting. Try some different types of craft beers to get an idea of what tastes you are looking for and save the bottles (pry-offs) so down the road you can get a capper and bottle in glass if would like to. Dinkin' and makin' beer indoors is a great hobby.

berryman wrote:

Ha got you beat here in Western NY, mine says 3 deg :( Keeping a log and notes is a very good idea, Read up as much as you can while you are waiting. Try some different types of craft beers to get an idea of what tastes you are looking for and save the bottles (pry-offs) so down the road you can get a capper and bottle in glass if would like to. Dinkin' and makin' beer indoors is a great hobby.

Where in WNY are you? I'm in Buffalo. Showing 6deg. right now. May as well read about brewing as I sure as hell ain't going out there!

Violator wrote:

I feel so helpless just sitting here, waiting....

Yes, that's the toughest part, but it does get easier with experience.

Think of it this way: it's kind of like a vegetable garden. If you plant carrots, and start digging them up all the time to check on their progress, you're not going to have very many carrots at the end of the growing season. Let the yeast do their thing, and in another week or so, brew another batch in your second LBK to keep a good rotation going.

And if you haven't done it yet, get yourself a hydrometer. They're inexpensive, but they're also invaluable.

Violator wrote:

I feel so helpless just sitting here, waiting, and reading all the great posts on here. I have learned an ton, the most important being patience. It seemed so effortless to brew up my first batch I can't wait to do it again. I did get a notebook and an oversized calandar that I have hanging next to my LBK and plan on keeping notes on it's progress. I live in central Wisconsin were it's about 10 degrees out right now so it's nice to something to do indoors instead of just drinking beer. Gotta have a hobby they say.

I know, just bottled my first batch myself & have more stuff coming tomorrow to start my second batch.
I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas, I imagine it will get a little easier once I get another LBK or two & get an inventory built up so there is always something ready to drink.

GOF wrote:

berryman wrote:

Ha got you beat here in Western NY, mine says 3 deg :(

Where in WNY are you? I'm in Buffalo. Showing 6deg. right now. May as well read about brewing as I sure as hell ain't going out there!

South of you in Chautauqua County, Between Dunkirk and Jamestown.

To help with new brewer's patience, buy a case (or two) of your favorite frosty to tide you over until your beer is ready. From experience, I now know that when they say you'll be drinking your brew in two weeks, it's a bit premature. It'll be beer, but not as good as if you let it condition out. Welcome and enjoy the show.

berryman wrote:

GOF wrote:

berryman wrote:

Ha got you beat here in Western NY, mine says 3 deg :(

South of you in Chautauqua County, Between Dunkirk and Jamestown.
I'm glad I'm not at SUNY Fredonia anymore. It was cold enough here in Southeastern NY today!

Violator wrote:

Like many I see on here I too got a Mr. Beer kit as a Christmas present. I had a chance today for my first attempt at homebrewing. I used the standard West Coast Pale Ale recipe that came with the kit. I have been reading several of the forums on the Mr. Beer website as a visitor and decided since I have started brewing I should become a member of this outstanding community. I see that there is so much to learn but this seems to be the place to go for any questions.

I was impressed with how easy it was and how little clean up was involved. Had I known how easy this was I would have started this years ago. I'm already planning on getting at least 1 more LBK and maybe one of the seasonal refills.

Aaaaaannnnd...He's hooked! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Welcome to the obsession, Violator.

To pass the time buy yourself some beer bottles. You can get all kinds of them at your local liquor store. Make sure you get the ones that are not twist top so you can also get a capper and some bottle caps so as to use these bottles for your beer.

If your liquor stores are like the ones where I live the only beer bottles they sell have beer in them. That's okay. I'm sure you're just like all the other members of the Borg and would never turn up your nose to free beer. You might just as well drink it. Knowing that it came in a non twist top bottle already tells me that it's not a BudweiserMillerCoors (BMC) type beer so it should be enjoyable.

The great thing about this...this hobby is that, even with very little effort, you can make good beer. And with just a little more effort you can make great beer. I myself am trying to stick as close as possible to the German Beer Purity laws (there's a German word for them but I have enough trouble typing English). That is; nothing can be used to make beer other than malt, water and yeast - I do believe that they allow for the introduction of hops. If not then, eh, arrest me. :P

Enjoy the beers that you make and brew happy.

Thanks for all of the timely responses. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as I try new recipes and techniques. It's reassuring to know there is so much help out there.

Chuck N wrote:

I myself am trying to stick as close as possible to the German Beer Purity laws (there's a German word for them but I have enough trouble typing English). That is; nothing can be used to make beer other than malt, water and yeast - I do believe that they allow for the introduction of hops. If not then, eh, arrest me. :P

Reinheitsgebot-Water, barley, and hops. They didn't know about the yeast.

GOF wrote:

Chuck N wrote:

I myself am trying to stick as close as possible to the German Beer Purity laws (there's a German word for them but I have enough trouble typing English). That is; nothing can be used to make beer other than malt, water and yeast - I do believe that they allow for the introduction of hops. If not then, eh, arrest me. :P

I stand corrected.

And arrestable(?).

Chuck N wrote:

GOF wrote:

Chuck N wrote:

I stand corrected.

And arrestable(?).

I looked it up.

As for arrestable? I don't know. Have you broken any laws? Reinheitsgebot is no longer the law in Germany. And I'm not sure but are you even in Germany?

Violator wrote:

Thanks for all of the timely responses. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as I try new recipes and techniques. It's reassuring to know there is so much help out there.

Just remember to listen to Zathras the Borg, and all will be well with the universe. :laugh:

GOF wrote:
[And I'm not sure but are you even in Germany?

Sometimes neither am I.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well so far so good. Everything seems to be going according to plan. My fermentation is at the correct temperature and out of any direct sunlight. Just have to sit back and try to figure out what to brew next. I take back most of the things I have said about my Mother In Law. This was a Christmas gift from her. I think she has created a monster though. I love this stuff!