Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brew-tality

New Brewer

Hey everybody. New guy here from Ohio. Got my kit on Xmas like a lot of others and couldn't wait to fire it up. My brother got it for me, so a few days after christmas me and him cooked up the ingredients and got it in the keg. Now I'm hooked. One question though. I notice alot of you on here say to leave the wort in the fermenter for 2 weeks. Well the instructions for the WCPA that I have says I only need to keep it in there for about 7 days. Is the 2 week time mainly to avoid bottle bombs? or are you just being thorough?

Read this simple guideline. It addresses your question in great detail. The short answer is that fermentation and conditioning of your beer won't be done at seven days and will take two to three weeks. Also a hydrometer will tell you exactly when fermentation is done. Bottom line is the yeast is still doing stuff at seven days that will make your beer taste better. Give it more time and you will get better beer. The general rule of thumb for basic batch is 2-2-2, which is 2 weeks in fermenter, and then four total weeks in the bottle before drinking.

Cool thanks man. I only asked cuz it says on the refill for my kit that it makes 2 gallons in about 2 weeks. I'll stick to the 2-2-2 idea. thanks again.

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!

Truth is if you want beer in 2 weeks you can have beer in 2 weeks, it will be crappy beer but it will be beer.

I am more the school 3-2-2 or 3-3-3 depending on beer can be 3-3-5+ for beers higher than 7% ABV

Any beer you let age longer will be better and you will be rewarded for waiting

See, my vote is the more beer you make the longer you can wait between bottling. Thus you will have a constant supply, and an increasingly long time that you can allow your beer to ferment.

I'm about to start an octoberfest in a few weeks that I dont plan on drinking until sept, or oct, just because I want it to have that long to mellow and really taste great.

welcome to the borg Brew-tality :cheers:

2 weeks is the bare minimum any beer should be in the lbk.

3 weeks minimum for all malt and fruit beers

if you brewed the basic WCPA, i would not let it sit for longer than six months. drink it all before then and you will have a good to great WCPA. anything longer than that, for WCPA, and in my opinon, you will be dumping it.

Thanks guys for all the welcome messages. JSF, im a big devils fan, so I dig your avatar. and marble, im in north central ohio, near sandusky. Anyway, 2 weeks in the keg it is. I'm looking forward to learning the process and steppin up my brew game. Everyone on here seems to be very helpful. thanks alot all...