Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
strangebrew

"Booster" alternative?

I'm sort of new the the Mr. Beer brewing method, actually having started in the more-traditional 5-gal world. Is there an alternative for the "Booster" mix? I have all of the cans of mix and UME for many of the recipes I'd like to try, and can get hop pellets locally. I can be brewing (again) if there is a Booster substitute!

Pretty much anything with sugar in it will replace Booster. I wouldn't suggest straight sugar since there's not much flavor when you add straight sugar. But you can add a cup of honey, molassis, brown sugar, fruit, etc.

Guest System Admin

Booster is nothing more than corn syrup solids, so I would think that corn syrup would work fine. Keep in mind that adding corn syrup will add water to your mix as corn syrup solids have up to 97% of their water removed and MAY add time to fermentation and weakening of taste.

jgraham2000 wrote:

Booster is nothing more than corn syrup solids, so I would think that corn syrup would work fine. Keep in mind that adding corn syrup will add water to your mix as corn syrup solids have up to 97% of their water removed and MAY add time to fermentation and weakening of taste.

Booster is made from corn syrup solids, but that ain't the same as corn syrup. Corn syrup usually contains fructose (even if it isn't called "high fructose", which doesn't make nice flavors when fermented. Booster is formulated to contain the same types of sugars (dextrose, maltose, maltotriose, etc), in the same relative concentrations, as wort, which is why it ferments cleaner than table sugar, honey or corn syrup.

Basically, you can substitute corn syrup, honey, or table sugar, but don't do so under the false impression that it will be exactly the same. Though I'd like to think otherwise, I doubt that MR.BEER is the only one who thought to make a product like Booster, so it's likely that you can find a similar type of brewer's sugar (which would work as a direct replacement) elsewhere, but maybe not in the grocery store.

I have used a mix of brown sugar honey and corn syrup to replace booster in the past worked pretty well you mix them according to your own taste, but always keep the sugar to no more than 3/4 cup

strangebrew wrote:

I have all of the cans of mix and UME for many of the recipes.

You already have a replacement to Booster if you have cans of UME. Eg.:Instead of 1 can West Coast Pale Ale and 1 pouch of Booster. Use WCPA and 1 can of Pale Export UME. You could still add other adjuncts to that for higher ABV or a different flavor profile.

Use a can of the HME and a can of UME and with some hop additions you can make some really good beer. You can always replace the Booster with UME, it works like a charm :)

Are you saying to add Honey/Brown-Sugar into the Keg/fermentor "instead" of putting the regular/white sugar into the bottles when it's time to bottle?
* So when making a new-batch I use 2-cans of beer because only the first batch came with booster, and I was told that using 2 cans vs. 1 will work for "Booster", then after 2 weeks of "fermenting/brewing", you suggest to pour a cup and a half of Honey or Brown-Sugar, (or a mixture of the two) into the brown kettle/keg and THEN bottle w/o adding sugar TO the bottles?
If so, I doubt I'd should stir the honey/brown-sugar into the keg as the sediment on the bottom of the barrel will mix in w/the rest of the beer. Right?

Would it be easier for me to add/substitute Brown-Sugar in the bottles before bottling vs. the called for Regular White Sugar?

I'm on my 4th batch and the very first batch was the best (using Booster and following directions).
2nd batch was okay using 2 cans of beer vs. adding booster.
3rd batch (Stout) was awful -- way, WAY overly carbonated!
Sorry for sounding so Dense, but I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice.

Harv out.

Harvsdomain@yahoo.com

Harvey, what we are saying is use honey or brown sugar (not both) and put it in the water that you boil. In other words, instead of stirring the booster into the water and bringing to a boil, put the honey or brown sugar in the water and bring to a boil. Then add your HME and UME and follow the recipe as directed.
Hope that helps, happy brewing!
:chug: :chug:

Just curious why some of you are saying to limit honey to 1 cup when substituting it for the booster. Mr. Beer lists its Honey Brown Ale recipe as using 1 1/2 cups of honey, which tells me you can add a little more and still have it turn out well.

HopHeadBrewski wrote:

Harvey, what we are saying is use honey or brown sugar (not both) and put it in the water that you boil.

Why not use honey and brown sugar?
In some of my recipies I've one full cup of honey with one full cup of brown sugar.

Why not use honey and brown sugar?
In some of my recipies I've one full cup of honey with one full cup of brown sugar.

The issue is the amount of honey & sugar fermentables as a percentaage of total fermentables. Malt (grain) based fermentables make the best beer. Honey, brown sugar or white table sugar can give a beer a cidery taste so it's advised to limit them to :chug: :coffee: :tallone: :drink: :beer:

I've been just following the instuctions and not adding anything.

First batch w/booster was amazing , and then after that I contacted MR. Beer to say that I didn't have any more Booster, "now what? Buy more Booster?" I asked?
Mr. Beer said I could just use 2 cans w/o adding Booster vs. 1 can and then adding Booster.

I have had a problem w/Over-Carbonating. Fizzy doesn't even begin to touch how overly carbonated a batch or two has become.

Yet again the super-cool folks at Mr. Beer were helpful w/suggestions:
- Living in Phx., perhaps my barrel / fermenter is staying in "too warm" of an area. We have our home air-conditioning set at 78-degrees and the Keg/barrel/Fermenter is in the lowest/darkest room in the house and out of any/all light. I'd guess it's about 75 in that room?
I was told any warmer and it's bad, so I'm picking up a seperate Thermometer for that room today at lunch.

I haven't added anything to the water before boiling, just boiling-water, then opening both cans, stirring in and pouring into Keg and adding the Yeast packets, and allowing it to sit for 2 weeks.

Would you suggest that I perhaps try adding 1 cup of honey before boiling the water?

So then a "new proceedure for me" would be: Put either Honey or Brown-Sugar into pot, along with the called for 4-cups of water. Boil water, remove from heat, then open cans and stir in, Open both Yeast packets and pour into Wort, allow to sit for 5 min., stir vigorously again and then scew on cap and as patiently as I can (WAY difficult!) wait for 2 weeks before bottling.
Add 2-1/2 teaspoons of white granulated suger to the supplied Mr. Beer 1 liter bottles, add beer to 2-inches from top. Screw on cap, shake, and then wait another 2 weeks to sample my creation?

Harv
oUt
:blush:

The issue is the amount of honey & sugar fermentables as a percentaage of total fermentables. Malt (grain) based fermentables make the best beer. Honey, brown sugar or white table sugar can give a beer a cidery taste so it's advised to limit them to

Ok, well I forgot to say that I dont use these as a substitute for booster, but as a supplement. So, in this case, the honey + brown sugar is almost 1/4 of all fermentables.

Harvey,

Living in FL, I have the same issues with temps being greater than ideal during the summer.
I've found that my fermentations last only 4-6 days and I get full carbonation within 48 hrs of bottling.
I also get a slight citrus like taste but other than that the beer is good.

I would suggest trying some DME (Dried Malt Extract) from you r Local Homebrew Store.