Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Siggy

Opinion on Stouts

I will begin brewing several kegs of stout for St. Pats Day and I am looking for any feedback, positive or negative, on the stout variations offered shy Mr. Beer. Any great success in brewing a stout that tastes like it was from the Old Sod? I like a creamy and faintly bitter pint. Cheers mates!

Guest System Admin

That's a good question, I personally wrestled with this for a while since now is the perfect time to start for St. Patrick's Day. I ended up picking the Blarney Stone. My other option was the Dubliner, but the oatmeal scared me a little for that recipe.

One thing to note on the creamy texture is that many commercial stouts achieve this with nitrogen gas. Since nitrogen bubbles are so small, you can't bottle it (it would leak out). The commercial breweries get around this by adding a little container that releases the nitrogen when you open the bottle. It's actually possible to get a home nitrogen setup for kegged beer, where you carbonate with CO2 and dispense with nitrogen.

This is also why bubbles drop in a Guinness stout, since nitrogen is heavier than air.

I've got a can of Cooper's Irish Stout waiting to go into the LBK when I get some free time. I've used the same extract kit before but I'm going to change things up a bit using California Ale Yeast. I'm a big fan of the Cooper's products!

I have heard good hings about Coopers kits. Has anyone brewed Stiky Wicket premium refill?

Guest System Admin

Yeah Guinness is a bitch to tap. I have a Guinness kedge raptor and large CO2 tank. It's definitely worth the expense if you're as demented as I am. You can tap it without the gas, but it's just not the same. Just note you need a European adapter for the keg.

Siggy wrote:

I have heard good hings about Coopers kits. Has anyone brewed Stiky Wicket premium refill?

Welcome Siggy!

The Sticky Wicket is very good...

Go for it!

Happy Brewing!

:)

Munton's Imperial Stout is excellent. I got the 5 gallon kit from Brew Gadgets for about $24 bucks. It comes in 2 three pound cans. One works perfect for the LBK, so you get a case of beer for about $12. I am drinking one and will brew the other can in about a week. Can't beat it.

I hear alot of guys talkin about the muntons imperial on here. And at 5 gallons for $24, I'll definitely have to give it a try.

I'm not sure that style the Chocolate Covered Cherries recipe falls into, but it resembles a stout and is very good...one of my favorite Mr. Beer recipes.

Kind of a dead thread but looking at my next brew being the "Dubliner"

I have it on order and the pack comes with Fuggle hops, does anyone have any other suggestions for hop additions? Maybe some that will go well with the style?