Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stealthyelf

basement got too cold!!

damn my basement was clocked at 56 degrees my bottles were fairly cold and so was my keg what should i do i already moved to the bottle upstairs to get them to room temp i dont want to move the keg its only on its 3rd day of fermenting what should ido

move it to a better temp, or fill some water bottles with hot water and set them around it and cover it with a blanket.

You might think about trying Nottingham ale yeast for the winter. It would thrive at that temperature and you would get lagar like clarity in your beers.

Guest System Admin

do you have a "Brew-O-Meter" on the LBK?

My basement is running about 62*F near the kegs but the LBK is reading 66*F

still waiting on the brew o meter it hasnt come in yet plus ill see what i can do about changing the yeast on my next order thanks for the replies totally appreciate it

and another thing is that the reason i dont want to move the LBK because theres Krausen reaching almost to the top of the lid so im gonna try the hot bottles and see of that works

Guest System Admin

If you have Krausen almost to the top it is fermenting fine and no need for the hot bottles.

stealthyelf wrote:

alright cool what about the brew that its bottled move to a higher temp or leave it with the keg??

If it were me, I would move the bottles to a warmer environment for 2-3 weeks, to ensure they carbonate completely. Then you could return them to the basement for the conditioning.

As far as the keg, if you leave it in the basement, I would definitely give it the full 3 weeks to ferment.

packerduf wrote:

stealthyelf wrote:

alright cool what about the brew that its bottled move to a higher temp or leave it with the keg??

If it were me, I would move the bottles to a warmer environment for 2-3 weeks, to ensure they carbonate completely. Then you could return them to the basement for the conditioning.

As far as the keg, if you leave it in the basement, I would definitely give it the full 3 weeks to ferment.

+1

As long as the temperature in the basement doesn't stay at that cold temperature, you'll suffer only a slight lag in fermentation. Cold puts the yeast to sleep, but when it warms up, they go right back to work. A couple of days of colder temperatures isn't going to hurt the beer. But going a full 3 weeks before bottling is probably a good idea.

well the keg is still in the basement at the moment i have a lot of Krausen in it.... it nearly almost blew off the top though luckly i have it in a cooler too the bottles i have moved upstairs where the temp is between 65-68 degrees

to cold is not nearly as detremental as to warm to the best of my knowledge. Too warm=death and off flavor, to cold= slower/minimal fermentation. If you have the patience as well as the hydrometer you will be finnnnnnneeee

I have both i just wanted to make sure its been alittle cold here in the northeast hopefully it'll go back up to 50 like they say it would