Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
carlg

temperatures I should be aware of

I already started my first attempt to make beer and one thing I did that worries me is pouring the wart into the keg right after I dissolved the hme. How hot of a boil should I make it and what temp should it be before you poor it in the keg :woohoo:

Once you're water is boiling, remove it from the heat and stir in the HME. Once nicely dissolved, it is ready to pour into the keg assuming you have used the 4 cups or so of water MB recommends. Just make sure the keg is half full of chilled water first and the temps will equalize out just fine, especially after you top off with cool water. Ideally you're looking for around 68 to pitch your yeast.

The one thing you DON'T want to do is pour hot wort (above 140) into an empty keg.

Cheers!

If you didn't melt the LBK and you waited until the wort cooled before pitching the yeast you should be fine.

I did add it to the cold water already in the keg but I did not wait for it to cool before I put the yeast. It is sitting know at 65 degrees and appears to be fermenting