Mr.Beer Community
Lylebobyle

Texas, y'all!!

been hear 6 yrs , but im JERSEY JOHN , or YANKEY BASTARD in texas talk !!!!!!!!!! :side: corsican , tx .

Just got my kit, after I gave one as a gift for Christmas, thought I would give it a try. Started ferment last night of Blonde Ale (1/13). In Htown! B)

pepsidude88 wrote:

Any body out here towards abilene

In Odessa but will be passing through Abilene this weekend if your interested in swapping brews

Yep! NE Texas, just outside Texarkana. Just bought my first beer kit. Can't wait to get started. After the first blush has worn off, I'll be homebrewin' Stout. I have Charlie Papazian's book "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing". Doing a lot of reading in that book, and have read Mr. Beer's book also. I love me some Guinness Stout. So I'm going to be brewing up the Stouts along that line later.

• Like 2

I like the map, thats kinda cool. I'm surprised we don't have as many DFW area people. San Antone and Austin are quite a drive. As we've said, Texas is a big ol place.

Houston and universal city, travel back and forth, have beer brewing going in both locations, can't stop brewing

Emoss9371 wrote:

Houston and universal city, travel back and forth, have beer brewing going in both locations, can't stop brewing

U City as in San Antonio suburb? I'm not far - and lived in U City for some time...

Here in San Marcos new to brewing, bottled my first batch and waiting for my last 2 weeks to try it. :silly:

• Like 1

I'll be in Austin next week for business. Never been there before. Any good brew pubs to check out?

I'll be in Austin next week for business. Never been there before. Any good brew pubs to check out?

PM me so we don't clog up this thread. I have a copy of the 2013 Spring Austin Beer guide in my hand.

"OikoEco" post=360885 said:

Flying Saucer is pretty cool, but not really a local place. I think they're in Houston and DFW also. They have an amazing selection of beers though. Pretty much anything you can imagine. Brew exchange on West 6th was a cool idea (stock ticker scrolling with prices that are constantly updated based on sales. Low sales = low prices and vice versa), but its basically a club. Not my cup of tea, but they do have a good selection of beers on tap. I also like Black Sheep Lodge on south Lamar or Sherlocks on Research.

Just for Texas:
For Sale..
2 tap keg'n ater w/JC (Holds 2 5 gallon corny's and one 3 gallon corny)$350.00
6 Corny's (5 gallon) @$35 ea = $210.00
1 corny (3 gallon) $90.00
144 X 16oz brown flippies w/extra gaskets. @$1.75 ea= $252.00

Total: $902.00

checkin
for all the new texas brewers.
i think joe was looking for this.

brewon

Finally got to try my first batch ( Aztec Mexican Cerveza). I was pleased, it tasted like beer. It was a lot better than the Beer in a Bag I tried several years ago.

I am Northeast of Denton.

• Like 1

I'm from the Dallas area...new to brewing with Mr. Beer. What kind of competitions are there? I saw Mr. Beer of the Month. How do you get picked for that? Hey ya'll to all my fellow Texans!

Yep! NE Texas, just outside Texarkana. Just bought my first beer kit. Can't wait to get started. After the first blush has worn off, I'll be homebrewin' Stout. I have Charlie Papazian's book "The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing". Doing a lot of reading in that book, and have read Mr. Beer's book also. I love me some Guinness Stout. So I'm going to be brewing up the Stouts along that line later.

Welcome!!! I'm actually FROM Texarkana..the TEXAS side!!  :)

Looks like we have a growing family in the central Texas area. We've always been too spread out to organize a get together in the past. But pretty soon there may be enough of us from San Antonio to Houston to Dallas to actually make a get together worth the trip. Since some may have to travel 2 or 3 hours each way, sampling a bunch of homebrews might not be safe on the same day, so it may require an overnight stay. But smaller, closer visits might work in just one day. Back on the east coast I could travel to 2 or 3 states faster than I can travel in just one state now. But I see our numbers growing here lately, closing the gap a little. I mknow from experience, whenever I get together to sample homebrews for a few hours, I'm in no shape to drive anywhere too soon.

Just moved into my new home in Leander Tx and received my 24xl Mr Beer kit. Can't wait until brew day!

• Like 1

Just got my kit, after I gave one as a gift for Christmas, thought I would give it a try. Started ferment last night of Blonde Ale (1/13). In Htown! B)

A Redskins fan in Texas? I like you already.

A Redskins fan in Texas? I like you already.

They have Bears fans in Green Bay...

• Like 1

Yeah, we have Cowboys fans in DC and Falcons fans in New Orleans for some reason. 

Lots of Seahawks fans in AZ. No Cardinals fans, though. lol.

Lots of Seahawks fans in AZ. No Cardinals fans, though. lol.

49ers maybe but Seahawks?  Strange...

I wonder if Stone Cold doesn;t like beer in real life. He just smashes the can and dumps most of it on his face. The Rock is drinking his, and Hulkster looks like he's trying to get every drop out of his.

• Like 1

I wonder if Stone Cold doesn;t like beer in real life. He just smashes the can and dumps most of it on his face. The Rock is drinking his, and Hulkster looks like he's trying to get every drop out of his.

I agree. The Hulk looks to be the most efficient drinker. Maybe not the fastest, but he's definitely less wasteful. Though I imagine what they're drinking probably isn't anything to cry over.

EDIT: I just realized that if Vakko changes his signature, no one will know what we're talking about...lmao. :lol:

• Like 1

Sadly my Uncle(Mom's brother) and her second husband(she was married more times than Zaza Gabor) were "professional" wrestlers. I knew it was fake and how they did it in the 3rd grade.

I just moved to Dallas from the burbs. Does anyone know if going to the Texas beer festival is worth the price?

I'm in Austin, Gnawking. There are a lot of brewers here and I intend to get to know one of the groups. 

I see that a lot of these posts are from pretty far back. I wonder who's still around.

On 1/15/2012 at 5:49 PM, pepsidude88 said:

Any body out here towards abilene

I'm in Abilene. I wish we had a homebrew store here.

Family vacation coming up and my sister in law offered to bring me some beer from tx that I can't get in Wisconsin. I googled a top ten list but just looking for any other input. She's in Allen tx

The hot beer (served cold, that is) right now down here in Texas is Blood & Honey made by Revolver Brewing outside of Dallas.  It's still just distributed over a small area.  I've had clients from Houston drive up to Austin to buy it.  It is an American Pale Wheat Ale made with blood oranges and honey.  It's got some spices thrown in that makes it pretty much out of this world.  ABV of 7.0%.  

Their website describes it as "American Wheat Ale – ABV: 7%  IBU: 20   An unfiltered deep golden ale made with malted two row barley and wheat. The brew is finished with Blood Orange zest, local Fall Creek Farms Honey and other spices that bring special flavors to this unique beer."

If your sister-in-law brings you some of that beer, you'll owe her a big Xmas present!

• Like 1

This is what I went with

Revolver brewing- blood and honey

Saint Arnold- santo or endeavour or fancy lawnmower

Jester King- ambree or le petit prince

Austin beer works- heavy machinery DIPA
  • Like 2

I could've never narrowed down that list to anything below 20 myself. I must admit that Texas has done something right, or it just might be that the state is so damn big that the odds are for having some pretty awesome craft beer!

• Like 1

I've  never heard of any of them! my sister lives in Dallas, one year she got me a collection of saisons, ale, lager and a barleywine from a brewey in Austin, I couldn't remember the name, but that stuff was STRONG! she said it was very expensive too!

I'm in Oklahoma but frequent the Dallas beer scene, not frequently enough though!

San Antonio myself. Had a great Oktoberfest as my introduction (that I am now slowly drinking through), and just put up my second brew - a Nut Ale this time. Am hoping I have learned enough to try the Milk Stout sometime next week. Hoping that if I keep two LBKs full I can always have something conditioning and something ready to drink.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EwanRGR said:

San Antonio myself. Had a great Oktoberfest as my introduction (that I am now slowly drinking through), and just put up my second brew - a Nut Ale this time. Am hoping I have learned enough to try the Milk Stout sometime next week. Hoping that if I keep two LBKs full I can always have something conditioning and something ready to drink.

#pipeline!

IMG_0374.JPG

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Shrike what city do you live in? 

@K5WX same question

Anyone else on here in the Dallas area?

@Creeps McLane you know the answer to that. If you come to Dallas, we're hitting some breweries!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jdub said:

@Creeps McLane you know the answer to that. If you come to Dallas, we're hitting some breweries!

oh and leave some room in the trunk of your car, or suitcase for some jester king and st arnold!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@Shrike what city do you live in? 

@K5WX same question

Anyone else on here in the Dallas area?

Biloxi.  You planning a road trip?

• Like 1