Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Violator

Take the lid off?

My beer has been in the LBK for only 4 days now but I'm wondering whats going on with it. I have it in a fairly dark room and it's very difficult to see through the sides of the LBK. Is it ok to remove the lid to see whats going with it? I realize the risk of contamination or disturbing the mix but I am new to this and would like to get a better understanding of what to look for.

I'm also new at this. But as I understand it you do not want to disturb the layer of CO2 building up over your beer.

GOF wrote:

I'm also new at this. But as I understand it you do not want to disturb the layer of CO2 building up over your beer.

+1 to the C02 layer, Don't open it up! take a flashlight and look at the bottom of the Keg if there is a layer of trub building up you are making beer make sure the temp is stable and forget about it for 3 weeks total then bottle it up.

You're a perfect candidate for the thread I started yesterday titled "RDWHAHB".

Read that thread. Also, read the "Simple Guidelines" sticky at the top of this forum; that will answer a lot of questions.

DesreveR's advice is good; get a flashlight and see if there's any trub building up at the bottom of the keg, but don't open it.

Trust that the process will take care of itself. If you prepared the wort properly (washed, sanitized, etc.), it's out of your hands. The yeast knows what to do, and as long as the temperature stays in a good range for them, they'll do it.

If you want to understand the process better, do some reading, check out brewing videos on YouTube, ask questions here. But don't risk ruining your beer.

I found a Maglight to be very useful for peering through the side of the LBK without messing with anything. I'm checking once a day just to know for the future what to expect. Everything seems to be going according to what I read is normal.