Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
carlg

planning to start a batch of whispering wheat any

Hello planning to start a batch of whispering wheat. Found a receipe on here which includes adding corriander and orange peel. how do you add these items to the wort. he says to crush the corriander and I guess put it in a muslin sack. do you do them same with the orange peel or add it direct to the wort. thanks for your time :silly:

Add the corriander to your wort with your HME, then add your Orange peel zest to your LBK after topping off :cheers:

Guest System Admin

Make sure you only ad the rind and NOT the pith (white under it)

The pith will make bad flavors that WILL NOT condition out

Yes crush the coriander seed and put in a hop sack. I crushhed by putting the seeds in a few ziploc bags and then crushing with a rolling pin, worked fairly well.

Is using the McCormic Valencia Orange Peel all rind and no pith?
I used this, coriander, and the whispering wheat in my most recent brew........hoe it comes out well...

do i add the mccormick orange peel to the wort or put it in a sack

Brewer's ChoiceTM
Some people toss it in, some use a hop sack. Some put it in the boil for 10-15 minutes, some toss it in the LBK after topping off (dry hopping, basically).

Pick a method, take notes, and adjust from there. No way is "wrong".

At my brew supply store they had what is a tea ball, mainly for tea but it is about the size of a ping pong ball opens and closes and I'm planning to use it for all my orange zest, coriander ect... I think its better than just tossing it in. Just my .02

Brewski wrote:

At my brew supply store they had what is a tea ball, mainly for tea but it is about the size of a ping pong ball opens and closes and I'm planning to use it for all my orange zest, coriander ect... I think its better than just tossing it in. Just my .02

Just make sure there's enough room for expansion as things absorb water. If they get too compressed, they won't release all the flavors.