Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Witherow

Aftertaste of beers

I have brewed a WCPA and a Cowboy lager. Some of the bottles have an after taste like root beer, but not all of them. Any idea of the cause?

sounds like you are tasting the Mr Beer "twang", some member of the borg taste it some dont.

next brew you make use a different yeast. thats all i have for ya.

i dont tastes anything like that, it could also be to "green" so let it sit in the bottles for at least another week then try again. if the bottles are in the fridge, take them out and place them in a room that is at "room" temp.

"twang" would be in every bottle in theory.

Since it's only some bottles, maybe the bottles wern't really as clean as should be. Soak the offending ones in oxyclean before using them again.

mashani wrote:

"twang" would be in every bottle in theory.

Since it's only some bottles, maybe the bottles wern't really as clean as should be. Soak the offending ones in oxyclean before using them again.

yes that would be correct. however, he did not say how long the beer was in there so it could be green. or he has sensitive taste buds.

Did you use the 1 liter Mr. Beer bottles, or old soda pop bottles? just askin', because root beer seems to remind you it's been there before.

I use brown rootbeer PET bottles sometimes for my trub bottle but do not get rootbeer flavors in beer.

I wash good then add 1 tsp bleach and fill with warm water and let it soak for a few days (to a week if I forget) then rise until bleach smell is gone.

No more rootbeer smell or taste (Even when just filling with water and in fridge for water bottle)

Hmm, my kids are big fans of rootbeer. I was thinking about just reusing the brown plastic bottles from their rootbeer for extra beer bottles. I'll try trollby's bleach idea.