Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trix Daddio

First brew turned out watery any thoughts?

Brewed my 1st batch with Mr.Beer. Brewed the Octoberfest. Followed all instructions (i think i did anyway). Brew came out very watery and almost no flavor. I wanted these results I would buy a crappy can of Coors.

Any suggestions on what may have gone wrong. I want to try the West Coast IPA next

Thank You

Welcome!

Please provide some additional details. I'm assuming this was the Octoberfest plus booster? How long did you ferment and at what temperature? How long has it been in the bottle?

In general, try to temper your expectations for a 1 HME plus booster recipe. There's only so much you can get out of that combination of ingredients. Think of it as a trial run, and start looking at all malt recipes.

Cheers!

It was with the booster. I fermented almost 3 weeks and bottled about the same. Left many in the bottle longer. I am going to do the WCPA next. Anything I can add to it to help?

more grains and extract always helps--I like the dry extract works more efficiently. Also add some Malto Dextrin to your beer which helps the body and head of your beer...I never go without it now.

Trix Daddio wrote:

It was with the booster. I fermented almost 3 weeks and bottled about the same. Left many in the bottle longer. I am going to do the WCPA next. Anything I can add to it to help?

its because the basic refill is like 1/3 adjunct. if you want a beer with more body you will need more malt...

read up on mashing or steeping, its not too hard to do a partial mash with the basic brew materials you have already - just need a nylon bag and some grain. or just buy a couple pounds of Dry Malt extract be careful of boil overs with the DME though

My suggestion for you is to add a can of Pale Export with WCPA and not use the booster. Brew the recipe per the instructions and compare the final product. I think the final result will be much better.

That's basically what Booster is. If you use two cans of malt extract you can use up to a full bag with no "issues". If you are brewing using one can of malt + Booster you end up with 50% adjuncts and 50% malts which results in a thinner, more watery beer than if you used either 2 cans of malt exclusively or two cans of malt + Booster.

Personally, I don't think the Octoberfest HME is well suited as a standard recipe. An Octoberfest, by definition should be a maltier beer. Mr.Beer does have a couple recipes that should fit the bill better. I think that the addition of booster to either of them would work just fine too.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/814/nm/Octoberfest_Cream_Ale

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/684/nm/Otto_s_Octoberfest

oly wrote:

Personally, I don't think the Octoberfest HME is well suited as a standard recipe. An Octoberfest, by definition should be a maltier beer. Mr.Beer does have a couple recipes that should fit the bill better. I think that the addition of booster to either of them would work just fine too.

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/814/nm/Octoberfest_Cream_Ale

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/684/nm/Otto_s_Octoberfest

Totally agree, the ocktoberfest cream ale recipe is very good and malty, give it a try.

Kealia wrote:

That's basically what Booster is. If you use two cans of malt extract you can use up to a full bag with no "issues". If you are brewing using one can of malt + Booster you end up with 50% adjuncts and 50% malts which results in a thinner, more watery beer than if you used either 2 cans of malt exclusively or two cans of malt + Booster.

Kealia~

Actually that's not 100% true. I agree that the adjuncts to malt is off...but it is NOT 50/50.

The Booster is 13 oz
The HME is 1 Lb 3 oz.

So if you used every drop of each item...you've got about 6 more oz of HMe than booster.

And regardless of that, the Booster is (according to Mr. Beer) 1.3% ABV whereas the HME is 2.3%

6 oz volume difference vs 1% ABV difference

It's acutally closer to 59% malt / 41% Adjunct

============

I know what you are getting at and your point is 110% right. A beer with that kind of adjunct level is going to be watery and cidery and nasty.

This brewer did not observe the basic guidelines. And even though the basic guidelines top at 2/1 (or 66% malt / 33% adjunct)...it's best to try not to go about 20-25%. When you start flirting with 30% or above...you're gonna get what that brewer got.

I find that all the basic refills lack body and are "watery." More malt = more body. If you want a basic refill, sub out the booster for 1# DME. I use Breiss Light so as not to change the flavor profile much if at all.

We do tend to generalize with the ratios. In any case, the 1 can HME and 1 booster pushes over the recommendation of no more that a 2:1 ratio or 2 malt to 1 adjunct.

Trix Daddio wrote:

Brewed my 1st batch with Mr.Beer. Brewed the Octoberfest. Followed all instructions (i think i did anyway). Brew came out very watery and almost no flavor. I wanted these results I would buy a crappy can of Coors.

Any suggestions on what may have gone wrong. I want to try the West Coast IPA next

Thank You

how bout trying the WCPA deluxe, this is my personal favorite, it is really good after the 3/2/2/ method, but great after the 3/3/3 method. either way, i think you will like very much.

Guest System Admin

Welcome Aboard!

I find if I do not "rinse" the HME/UME/LME cans out with the boiling water I leave too much behind.

Not sure if you did this or just scraped with a spoon.

The Basic refills (standard) is a very light beer, most people that start home brew want a simple first try and the standard is very simple. It also is lighter so not over bearing on the "Bud light, Coors light Miller Lite" crowds that want to try a home brew.

One other thing is if you over filled your LBK (Little Brown Keg) that will water it down. pretty easy to fill just above the 8.5 line. I do it all the time, sometimes on purpose other times by mistake.

The All malt refilles (Deluxe) are much better and more what your looking for

Christ872 wrote:

Kealia wrote:

Kealia~

Actually that's not 100% true. I agree that the adjuncts to malt is off...but it is NOT 50/50.

The Booster is 13 oz
The HME is 1 Lb 3 oz.

So if you used every drop of each item...you've got about 6 more oz of HMe than booster.

And regardless of that, the Booster is (according to Mr. Beer) 1.3% ABV whereas the HME is 2.3%

6 oz volume difference vs 1% ABV difference

It's acutally closer to 59% malt / 41% Adjunct

============

I know what you are getting at and your point is 110% right. A beer with that kind of adjunct level is going to be watery and cidery and nasty.

This brewer did not observe the basic guidelines. And even though the basic guidelines top at 2/1 (or 66% malt / 33% adjunct)...it's best to try not to go about 20-25%. When you start flirting with 30% or above...you're gonna get what that brewer got.

When you're getting the radio of malt:adjunct, you want to use the contribution to the alcohol. The Mr beer estimates on the HME and UME are high and they're low on booster. The actual ratio isn't exactly 50/50, but it's close. Maybe 54/46.

Ok, ok I'll take my 20 lashes for not being accurate on the math :P

Even with the revised numbers, as you guys have stated, the ratios are off.

Dammit, nobody told me there would be math when I started this!!

Kealia wrote:

:P

Yeah, but beyond the math, your point was a very very good one. Wther it was 41%, 46% or 50%...whatever...it was a screwy ration whatever the case is.

In all honesty, 1 1/2 maybe...worst-case scenario 1 3/4 pcks of Booster woulda worked. But 3 full packs of booster is in large part why he got what he got.

Christ872 wrote:

Kealia wrote:

Yeah, but beyond the math, your point was a very very good one. Wther it was 41%, 46% or 50%...whatever...it was a screwy ration whatever the case is.

In all honesty, 1 1/2 maybe...worst-case scenario 1 3/4 pcks of Booster woulda worked. But 3 full packs of booster is in large part why he got what he got.

I think you misread the first post. 3 weeks, 1 booster.

bpgreen wrote:

I think you misread the first post. 3 weeks, 1 booster.

Yeah, I got lost between several posts trying to respond to too much at once.

Ooopsy

Kealia wrote:

Off topic: Chris, the latest PM is on your side.

Kealia~

Thanks, let me check it now. I keep forgetting to look at that side of the screen.

OK guys, I'm not into watery beer.
Just started my first batch, with the West Cost Pale Ale mix. Is it too late to add more HME to strengthen the batch? It's been in the LBK for 1 week.

There's a lot of info here to digest! ...and I'm no chemist :dry:

Guest System Admin

If it has been in LBK with Pitched yeast it is too late to add more HME.

Ya, in the standard recipes it all goes into the LBK at the same time. So, too late I guess. Have to suffer through it.