Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Header75

Batch priming advice ?

Hello everyone......planning on batch priming my Mr. B Apple Cider since I have an extra LBK. It's going to be my first time doing this.......can I get some advice on how to do it. I will be using the 1L PET bottles. What should I buy? Do I need a Auto Siphon and hose? Do you guys have some pics I can see? Thank you all very much.....

Header75 wrote:

Hello everyone......planning on batch priming my Mr. B Apple Cider since I have an extra LBK. It's going to be my first time doing this.......can I get some advice on how to do it. I will be using the 1L PET bottles. What should I buy? Do I need a Auto Siphon and hose? Do you guys have some pics I can see? Thank you all very much.....

I use a 3 foot section of 3/8" OD tubing and the locking spigot on the keg. Just put one end of the tubing inside the spigot and the other end in the second keg. Then fill from bottles from that keg.

nice.....so no auto siphon to buy.Is the tubing at the brew store? What about the sugar part on the second keg........how does that work? thanx again....

Header75 wrote:

nice.....so no auto siphon to buy.Is the tubing at the brew store? What about the sugar part on the second keg........how does that work? thanx again....

You can get the tubing from the Plumbing Dept. at Lowe's or Home Dopey. Make sure it rests on the bottom of the priming vessel, to reduce splashing. You don't want to introduce air into the beer.

Before you begin, though, calculate how much sugar you'll need for the whole batch using Screwy Brewer's calculator. It's on his website, and it's very handy. Dissolve that amount of sugar in 1/4 cup of water, boil it, chill it down to about 70 degrees or so, and then gently pour it into the priming vessel.

I batch prime exclusively, and here's one thing I've learned: drain about half the beer and THEN add the priming solution. Then fill with the rest of the beer. Use a large spoon or spatula that you've sanitized and stir once or twice very, very gently, just to make sure it's mixed thoroughly. Again, you don't want to aerate the beer at this point, so easy does it.

Then you're good to go.

Remember to sanitize everything that the beer will touch, including the inside of the tubing.

Good luck. I'm a great believer in batch priming. If it seems to take a little longer this first time, don't get discouraged. Eventually you'll get the steps down and I'm betting you'll prefer it to bottle priming. If you move up to 5-gallon batches, you'll be glad you know how to batch prime.

You sure know your stuff Mr. Fedora.........thank you very much. I will buy some tubing at Home Dopey. How do reccomend i sanitize it?

Header75 wrote:

You sure know your stuff Mr. Fedora.........thank you very much. I will buy some tubing at Home Dopey. How do reccomend i sanitize it?

When you sanitize the second keg, hook it up to the spigot and pour some out into the sink or use it to fill the bottles when sanitizing them. I also place mine in the keg with the Sanitizer before I start to make sure the outside is sanitized to.

Don't forget to sanitize the outside of the running where it will be in contact with beer in the priming container.

Yeah, if you run sanitizer through it, that will do the trick. And, as noted, sanitize the exterior, where it will be submerged in the beer filling the priming vessel.

awesome info guys. I am planning to batch prime my second brew, so this was very helpful. And thanks to header for starting the thread.

bpgreen wrote:

Stupid auto correct. That should have been tubing, not running.

It changed "tubing" to "running"?

:huh: ...the hell...? :huh:

FedoraDave wrote:

Header75 wrote:

You can get the tubing from the Plumbing Dept. at Lowe's or Home Dopey. Make sure it rests on the bottom of the priming vessel, to reduce splashing. You don't want to introduce air into the beer.

Before you begin, though, calculate how much sugar you'll need for the whole batch using Screwy Brewer's calculator. It's on his website, and it's very handy. Dissolve that amount of sugar in 1/4 cup of water, boil it, chill it down to about 70 degrees or so, and then gently pour it into the priming vessel.

I batch prime exclusively, and here's one thing I've learned: drain about half the beer and THEN add the priming solution. Then fill with the rest of the beer. Use a large spoon or spatula that you've sanitized and stir once or twice very, very gently, just to make sure it's mixed thoroughly. Again, you don't want to aerate the beer at this point, so easy does it.

Then you're good to go.

Remember to sanitize everything that the beer will touch, including the inside of the tubing.

Good luck. I'm a great believer in batch priming. If it seems to take a little longer this first time, don't get discouraged. Eventually you'll get the steps down and I'm betting you'll prefer it to bottle priming. If you move up to 5-gallon batches, you'll be glad you know how to batch prime.

Theres several tubing options at home depot..........what exactly am i looking for?

Header75 wrote:

FedoraDave wrote:

Header75 wrote:

Then you're good to go.

Theres several tubing options at home depot..........what exactly am i looking for?

A tube that will fit snugly around the spigot. I forget the inner diameter of mine, but I think I took the spigot into the store with me to make sure.

I would think a clear vinyl tubing. Just make sure it is for potables.

Instead of fitting the tube inside the spigot, couldn't you fit it around the spigot?

Does 1/2" sound about right?

Radidio wrote:

Instead of fitting the tube inside the spigot, couldn't you fit it around the spigot?

Does 1/2" sound about right?

This is what I did. Found an Inner Diameter that fit around the spigot and the bottling wand like a sleeve, and it works perfectly.

I put the tubing and or bottling wand inside the LBK along with the sanitizer and let them all soak together. After 10-15 minutes I empty the sanitizer into a small pot and submerge the tubing in it until I'm ready to transfer the beer.

I've picked up vinyl tubing from my LHBS and from the local Ace Hardware store to use and they both work fine.

Screwy Brewer wrote:

I put the tubing and or bottling wand inside the LBK along with the sanitizer and let them all soak together. After 10-15 minutes I empty the sanitizer into a small pot and submerge the tubing in it until I'm ready to transfer the beer.

I've picked up vinyl tubing from my LHBS and from the local Ace Hardware store to use and they both work fine.

Thanx for the pic........its a beautiful sight!