Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stealthyelf

trub bread

No problem. If you give it a try, would you let us know how it goes? I've never actually tried this although I always say I will. I just don't care anymore at like midnight.

i have heard of spent grain bread but not trub bread...dont mean it dont exist, just thought i'd point out the difference

I tried the Recipe out that SenorPepe linked too, Man it was Delicious! My Family of three just Smashed a whole loaf of it with dinner.

It's a very dense bread and I decided to spritz the loafs with the water so it gave it a crispy crust and the insides were nice and chewy... mmm not dry at all.

I used my grains from my IIPA brew yesterday I spread them out on cookie sheets and dried them in the oven at 225°F for 6 hours then I followed the recipe as stated.
IMG_1114.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg

Spent Grain Bread

3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup wheat flour (could handle higher ratio of wheat
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast
3 cups spent grain (put the grain in a coffee grinder or food processor and grind it up
¼ cup of sugar (can substitute honey, molasses or the malt syrup you used to brew)
¼ cup of butter or olive oil
1 egg (Beaten)
1 cup of milk (usually use less, depending on how wet the grain is)

Mix together dry, then wet ingredients until dough pulls away from sides of bowl and all ingredients are incorporated.

Knead for 10 min.

Shape into ball and let rise in oiled bowl until double–about 90 min. Punch down and divide. Let it rise again in greased loaf pans or cookie sheet until doubled. Score top of loaves.

Preheat oven. Bake at 350F for 40 min, until deep golden brown. you can spritz loaves with water just before going into the oven and again 2 min into baking to make a crunchier crust, but it’s not required. Rotate pans halfway through. Let cool for 30 min on baking rack before slicing.