Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rpetchen

New Brewer, Possible Infection! Need Help!

New brewer here, I just successfully brewed a double dose of west coast pale ale that is currently carbing. 3 days ago I dropped a batch of the blonde ale into the keg to ferment. I was very meticulous with the sanitation, etc.

3 days into it now their are strange musty/sweet grassy smells coming from the keg. I poured a little into a cup and the same scent was strong and the beer tasted OK at first, but then was followed by a bitter and stringent alcohol taste.

Is something wrong with the batch? Are these smells and tastes normal so soon in the process? I was just too excited that I had to take a small taste after work today and was immediately struck by how much different it smells today vs yesterday.

You get all kinds of weird flavors at this point of fermentation. Relax, Don't worry have a homebrew.

Way to early to tell but there's likely nothing to worry about.
Worrying about your beer can send bad vibes to the yeast and make them sour

If you freak out this early in your fermentation, you'll give your yeast a complex and make them insecure. If that happens, they might just stop trying to please you altogether. Trust them, they'll clean up their body odor, reproductive juices and dirty bed sheets as they finish up their job.

Ha, thanks for all the replies. I feel better about it now. It's such a fickle process and there's nothing worse than ruining your own beer.

You are fine. That's great that you are so concerned about your brew. Love your brew & it will love you back. :laugh:

Just walk away from the keg for awhile, If the temps are right and the
sanitation is good, you will have beer. Believe me I know, it's hard to leave it alone and not keep checking.

Let it ride. Fermentation smells stink at first, then start to smell good with time. You will know if its infected when you taste it. It won't kill you, but may make you puke.

Welcome to MB!

As said, step away, don't peak anymore for the next 2-3 weeks. Forget the one week thing. Buy a hydrometer and check in another couple of weeks.

Patience turns good beer into GREAT beer!

rpetchen wrote:

Ha, thanks for all the replies. I feel better about it now. It's such a fickle process and there's nothing worse than ruining your own beer.

What's possibly worse is worrying too much about it.

As the others have said, it's early in the process, and all sorts of funky things are happening. Let 'em happen. This is a process that's been going on for thousands of years. Ride it out.

Oh boy, I'm not going to sleep well tonight. I noticed that there is a lot of chunky white stuff floating at the top of the keg, in addition to white particles floating throughout. I may be crazy, but I don't believe I saw this with the previous batch which used twice the HME. Is this normal? You have to forgive me for being OCD on this because good beer is potentially on the line!

rpetchen wrote:

Oh boy, I'm not going to sleep well tonight. I noticed that there is a lot of chunky white stuff floating at the top of the keg, in addition to white particles floating throughout. I may be crazy, but I don't believe I saw this with the previous batch which used twice the HME. Is this normal? You have to forgive me for being OCD on this because good beer is potentially on the line!

My guess is yeast colonies. Perfectly normal.

Like everyone said, just walk away for a couple weeks. Fermentation can look ulgy. But it still makes beer.

rpetchen wrote:

New brewer here, I just successfully brewed a double dose of west coast pale ale that is currently carbing. 3 days ago I dropped a batch of the blonde ale into the keg to ferment. I was very meticulous with the sanitation, etc.

3 days into it now their are strange musty/sweet grassy smells coming from the keg. I poured a little into a cup and the same scent was strong and the beer tasted OK at first, but then was followed by a bitter and stringent alcohol taste.

Is something wrong with the batch? Are these smells and tastes normal so soon in the process? I was just too excited that I had to take a small taste after work today and was immediately struck by how much different it smells today vs yesterday.

:blink: ...and you wonder why we say to put it in the keg, keep it in a happy place, then just walk away for 14~21 days. :huh:

:blink: ...and you wonder why we say to put it in the keg, keep it in a happy place, then just walk away for 14~21 days. :huh:

+1 if you worry, you are doing nothing but making it seem longer until the beer is done

Guest System Admin

I was very eager to bottle my beer after week one (just this past Monday) but after reading the comments here, just walk away, let it do what it does best. If your LBK is out of site, it should be out of mind. Sometimes I even forgot where I put it!

according to a book i am reading right now, YEAST, we should all become "yeast whispers", in order to make GREAT beer :)

I gotta admit, I love peeping on my beer. Especially now that I got a clear car boy. All the swirling and movement during the active fermentation, and sticking my nose by the airlock to get a good wiff of the beer farts, love it!
I know, I'm a total beer perv!

Just quit perving your keg, those ain't sea monkeys swimming around in there, leave 'em be to do what they do. As far as the weird smell, just wait until you use a more specialized yeast like the weizen yeasts, mine smelled like rotton eggs for 3 days, then like ripe bananas, and made some VERY TASTY BEER!!!!!!

Guest System Admin

gman585 wrote:

I gotta admit, I love peeping on my beer. Especially now that I got a clear car boy. All the swirling and movement during the active fermentation, and sticking my nose by the airlock to get a good wiff of the beer farts, love it!

Probably the only time one doesn't mind a beer fart!

mainegoer72 wrote:

gman585 wrote:

Probably the only time one doesn't mind a beer fart!

LMAO!